a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: NFAA or NAA???

NFAA or NAA???

I was going to post this in the current More Money for US Archery thread, but just before I clicked post I figured I would hijack that thread - so here I am.

If you don't mind my asking (or maybe I should start another thread), but what is wrong with the NFAA?

My daughter and I have been members in both the NFAA and US Archery for almost a year. Daughter is a Cub in NFAA and a Bowman in NAA. I'm just a sherpa.

For my NFAA membership dues I get magazine that has had my daughter's name in it, got to participate in an indoor national event that was basically the same as our local NFAA tournament (scoring with paper and pencil so she was used to it) got a medal, got to participate in a regional event that luckily was a local event (found out she won regionals a week or so later), got to participate in a number of state championships and got to set a number of records kept for our state. And got to meet and make a number of new friends. If I had to sum it up - FUN!

For my US Archery membership dues, she gets to participate in my clubs JOAD program with two very caring coaches and any number of helpers including me (lvl 2), got to sign up for a JOAD camp only to have it cancelled, got to participate in indoor nationals (found out how she did quite sometime later, I think the Friday before NFAA indoor nationals), got to participate in our state's one NAA indoor state and state JOAD championships, travelled to one of her friends clubs for their club indoor tournament, and participated in the 3 FITA style outdoor events in our state. No magazine, but I get an email every so often that makes it through my spam filter with neat articles and always asking for money for the team. Got to meet and make a number of new friends. If I had to sum it up - Kinda Fun (The JOAD camp was a real downer, but it sort of opened my eyes)

Which brings us to the two organizations outdoor nationals this summer, we have never been to either one.

NFAA - Only worry is that they have said they will not let me just walk with her through the woods (just me being a worry-wart I know - but I read on the internets that there are sasquatches in Pennsylvania!!!) but we are sure that she can handle everything else based on past experience at NFAA events.

US Archery - HUGE WORRIES! So much so that I haven't even told her half of it. Electronic scoring? Team round? Olympic round? Ranking round? (OK, told it it was like a FITA, but it was only one distance and always 6 arrow ends) and then I read in that other thread that basically since we don't know what these things are we should not be attending national events.

I don't know, but so far the NFAA has been pretty damed fun at a local, state, and national level. US Archery has been fun at the local and state level (mostly because of the organizers - the crew at the State Games of Michigan know how to throw an event!) but everything above that has been a "meh" at best and a real pain for me trying to learn as fast as I can and introduce her to in a fashion that won;t get her mind off of her form.

So how come you guys don't like the NFAA so much?

(OH CRAP!! Another thing to worry about at NAA nationals http://www.tristatebigfoot.com/ohiobigfoot.htm )

I'm just a sherpa.
    Okay, that made me laugh...

Your experience is not uncommon at all. I almost said "unfortunately" but hey, it is what it is. This is America and we have choices. In archery, we have NAA/USArchery/Flavor of the week, the NFAA, IBO, ASA, etc. to choose from.

If you want to just have fun with very little stress, the NFAA is definitely a good choice. Esp. here in Texas where our TFAA hosts the SYWAT (shoot your way across Texas) series of events that are very well attended, competitive, and just plain fun for the kids and adults of all ages.

In USArchery, even in the JOAD program, it seems there is an unavoidable stress caused by the fact that it is the governing body for the Olympic sport (format) of archery, and that alone creates expectations, stress, rules, extra paperwork, and a staff of folks who comfortably reside in the Olympic Training centers who always have their hands out. On the flipside, it also creates "some" opportunity that the NFAA cannot offer - opportunity for international teams at the cadet, junior and adult levels. Opportunity to compete for a spot on an Olympic or World Championship or Pan American or Grand Prix team, etc.

NFAA also provides opportunity that some find attractive... Money.

So, the two organizations attract different folks.

Personally, I LOVE NFAA and have never had a bad experience at one of their events. The highlight of my son's (and very young daughter at the time) year when we were in Illinois was getting to travel to Louisville for the NFAA Indoor Nationals tournament. He loved that. So much so that it motivated him to keep shooting and he won the NFAA Indoor National Championship when he was 11 years old in the recurve division. After we moved away from there, he basically quit shooting because we weren't going to go to Louisville every year.

And I loved shooting those events too. Very stress free and fun. And I learned a heluva lot and got to shoot against some of the best in the U.S. and Canada (Butch, Vic, Jason, Justin, Rick McKinney, Rod W., Doug P, Crispin Duenas and others ALL shot NFAA Indoor Nationals for years!). Finishing ahead of two Olympians - one a two time gold medalist - at the 2004 NFAA Indoor Nationals was what motivated me to try and make the 2005 US Archery Team. I owe a lot to the NFAA and that event in particular.

You just have to find where you're comfortable, and figure out what goals are important to you. I have one very talented young cadet archer struggling with this decision right now. She loves the TFAA events. JOAD freaks her out!

In time, the JOAD/USArchery events will seem "slightly" less complicated, but as you can see here, someone, somewhere alwas manages to keep us all - ehem - "on our toes" so to speak...

Okay, I thought I'd put a happy face on it for you

John
    Renegade Archer

I guess one other obvious thing....

Aside from indoor archery, NFAA and USArchery are quite different formats for outdoor shooters. Some prefer the long distances, cleanly mowed field lines and big multi-colored targets of USArchery while others prefer a walk in the woods, small intimate groups of archers and challenging terrain and shots of field archery. Again, a quite different crowd. Kind of a "camo vs. khaki" difference, if you will...

Way back when 3D archery was effectively "2D" archery (paper animal faces or flat foam cut-outs on old field ranges) I shot a lot of local events near my college. And even before that in the Tyler, Texas and N. Central Massachusetts area where a person could still find some good 'ol Field courses. They were always lots of fun. In fact, before we were married, my wife used to follow my group around the 3D/Field range and keep score for us. Those are some of my fondest archery memories and some of my most coveted trophies still today.

If I had to sum it up for someone, NFAA, for the most part, offers "fun competition" while USArchery, for the most part, offers "serious competition." Some will argue those terms, and that's fine, but that's how I see it. And some folks simply want one or the other. There are days I'd rather shoot with a group of my friends on a course through the woods, and there are days when I want to measure myself at 70M against fellow and future Olympians. Good to have choices.

John
    Renegade Archer

I'm in the NAA because right now, all I want to do is measure myself against the 4 distance multi-colored targets, to be able to gauge my progress against an unchanging standard. I don't know why I do, but I do. So I guess I'm stuck with (for the time being) USA Archery and all of its quite irritating politics. If NFAA offered a 'target venue', or if a competitor to USA Archery arose (with good, thoughtful, grounded leadership) that defined itself as a national organization devoted to serving its MEMBERSHIP of archers across the nation, I'd jump in an eye blink.

NFAA sounds like much the better org in its desire to serve its membership, and more fun to boot. But, you have to go where you hear music. I hear music when I watch Indy cars run. NASCAR fans look like they're having more fun, but when I watch NASCAR, I don't hear the music. When I see recurvers step, en mass, to that single file line and take aim at the multi-colored target 70meters away, it's a symphony.
    L K S
    Laus Deo

Quote Originally Posted by limbwalker View Post
    I guess one other obvious thing....

Aside from indoor archery, NFAA and USArchery are quite different formats for outdoor shooters. Some prefer the long distances, cleanly mowed field lines and big multi-colored targets of USArchery while others prefer a walk in the woods, small intimate groups of archers and challenging terrain and shots of field archery. Again, a quite different crowd. Kind of a "camo vs. khaki" difference, if you will...
    Well, and at the NFAA 3D club shoots I've been at (I don't know if they were sanctioned or not) families could shoot together, along with other archers. The whole group stops at the appropriate stakes and waits as the cubs, or whomever, shoots. Can't do that at a target archery shoot.

On the other hand, USA Archery's website is shinier
    <evidence><
    ..../............\.......
    Hoyt GM OR - Adcock ACS LB - Bickerstaffe ELB - USA Archery Level 2

"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers.” HL Mencken

Yes, the appeal of shooting together in a small group is strong for some. I know archers who can clean a round in a small group, but "alone" on a line of 100 other archers, they are a mess.

Completely different mental games.

Larry also points out another advantage the NAA/USArchery has by being affiliated with the World Archery Federation - international standards that don't change from venue to venue, country to country, or in many cases, from year to year. For instance, the scores shot in the qualifying round in Atlanta in '96 are a standard you can measure yourself against at many tournaments every year in the U.S. Even our "guest" division at our little 'ol State JOAD outdoor event featured a 70M, 122 cm, 72-arrow round that would allow an archer to compare their score with any of those shot since the 1988 Olympic games.

So, there is that.

On an outdoor field round, one can only "sort of" measure their score against others. Really, not even two consecutive scores are directly comparable in those conditions. So rather than allow an archery to - in a way - compete against the whole world - they are only competing against those that showed up at that particular event. For some, that's exactly what they want. For others, that's frustrating.

John
    Renegade Archer

Y
    Larry also points out another advantage the NAA/USArchery has by being affiliated with the World Archery Federation - international standards that don't change from venue to venue, country to country, or in many cases, from year to year. For instance, the scores shot in the qualifying round in Atlanta in '96 are a standard you can measure yourself against at many tournaments every year in the U.S. Even our "guest" division at our little 'ol State JOAD outdoor event featured a 70M, 122 cm, 72-arrow round that would allow an archer to compare their score with any of those shot since the 1988 Olympic games.

So, there is that.

On an outdoor field round, one can only "sort of" measure their score against others. Really, not even two consecutive scores are directly comparable in those conditions. So rather than allow an archery to - in a way - compete against the whole world - they are only competing against those that showed up at that particular event. For some, that's exactly what they want. For others, that's frustrating.

John
    Yes, it is a bit weird, but while the NFAA is a national member organization of the IFAA, the NFAA still does its own thing on a number of issues, especially in terms of bow divisions.
    <evidence><

We have more NAA-style shoots here in OH than NFAA. It's hard to get many people to come shoot an NFAA Field shoot. We have the only (that I'm aware of) Field course in SW OH and I'm lucky to get 6-8 people to show up. That includes the guys I shoot NFAA indoor with. There is not enough participation, hence scheduled shoots, around these parts. Our club is hosting the OAA State Field Championships in 1 month and I have yet to see anything posted or advertised about outside our club's calendar.

So I shoot a lot more NAA tournaments (FITA, 900 rounds, Indoor) than NFAA. I have shot the NAA Indoor Nationals, OH Double 900, OH JOAD/FITA, will shoot the US Target Nationals next week, a 70M format in IN in Aug and the OH state FITA in Sep, and hopefully, the Senior Games Qualifier in KY in Oct (OH's is the same weekend as out State Field tournament).

I shot the NFAA Indoor Nationals this year, and 2 local Field shoots (6 & 7 people respectively). That's it. Yes, the Great Lakes Sectional is this weekend but it is MI and I need the time for the US Nationals. The NFAA Nationals is 5 week days in Mechanicsburg so I won't be attending that.

As far as shoots to attend, NAA wins hands down.

NAA is involved with the local JOAD clubs much more than the NFAA is. But they are too involved trying to dictate every little move the clubs make (it appears) and micromanaging everything. NFAA is just the opposite. There appears that there is no involvement in local club activities, just sectionals.

I enjoy shooting NFAA Field quite a bit but I have more access to NAA-style shooting. A big plus is our JOAD coach has a FITA range setup at his house. It is just 10 minutes away where as the Field course I have access to is about 45-50 minutes away. As a side note, I have spent a great deal of time at the Field course but it is in the form of cleanup and not shooting it. I've actually shot the course 2 or 3 times but have 5 or 6 full days battling the weeds. This year I've been a one-man show. But I digress...

I am a member of both organizations and probably will continue to be for the foreseeable future.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government..

I find this thread rather interesting. Having been an NFAA member for nearly my entire life, I thought that NAA/USArchery members had a certain disdain for the NFAA. It's kind of refreshing to see John's comments about how he enjoys the NFAA field competitions.

My heart has always been in field archery. Probably always will be. That is what I grew up with and for most of my youth and early adult life, we compounders weren't welcome at NAA events. Happily that changed and now young archers are given many choices as to how they pursue their archery dreams. I say many times that I wish I had the opportunities that today's young archers have.

Given all of that, I would say that both organizations have a lot to offer and John already stated better than I can as to what they are They also both have their warts.

I'm glad that RecurveDad's daughter is enjoying our sport. I think she will have a great time in Mechanicsburg. It is a great venue and I hope there will be enough other girls shooting cub recurve that she will be able to make friends and have an experience that will provide memories to last a lifetime. I still have great memories of the friends I made as a youth shooting my first NFAA Field Nationals at Ludlow, MA in 1972. If you shoot yourself, I would encourage you to bring your bow and shoot too and if you don't shoot already, I would encourage you to pick up a bow and join your daughter. Those experiences will be better than anything she accomplishes on an archery range.

To me, archery is archery. It doesn't matter whether you are shooting foam, multi-colored or black and white targets, everyone needs to find their own passion and pursue that, but I would advise anyone that would ask me to not limit themselves. There is opportunity in all disciplines.

I grew up an NFAA shooter in NE Wisconsin. NAA had no presence there. At that time NFAA had lots of great indoor target leagues and shooters. We then dabbled with USAC (United States Archery Congress). That was pretty short lived. Fast forward 30 some odd years and I am now shooting primarily NAA events, but do shoot NFAA field shoots and 900 rounds as well.

Seems to me the biggest differences are at the organizational levels. Shooting is shooting. Both orgs have target and field shoots. And yes FITA has 3-D shoots, all though I've never seen an NAA sponsored 3-D shoot myself. The reasons for the 2 orgs versus one are power, control and money. I dare say if the NFAA had been declared the NGB for Olympic purposes upon the sports reentry, NAA would have ceased to exist.

To split shooters by contrived means such as multiple organizing bodies, is, has and will be a hindrance to the sport.

To split shooters by contrived means such as multiple organizing bodies, is, has and will be a hindrance to the sport.
    Agreed.

Maybe it's time to let the NFAA take on amatuer olympic style archery contests and let USArchery focus on the professional recurve archers...
    Renegade Archer

Quote Originally Posted by RecurveDad View Post

US Archery - HUGE WORRIES! So much so that I haven't even told her half of it. Electronic scoring? Team round? Olympic round? Ranking round? (OK, told it it was like a FITA, but it was only one distance and always 6 arrow ends) and then I read in that other thread that basically since we don't know what these things are we should not be attending national events.

(OH CRAP!! Another thing to worry about at NAA nationals http://www.tristatebigfoot.com/ohiobigfoot.htm )

Don't let internet posts scare you. The experience for most is quite positive. You'll meet new people, make friends and try something new. If I based my decision to go to Nationals on AT threads, I'd have the same trepidation you have. It's not that way at all. Bring a pop up canopy, chairs, relax and take it all in.

I have stayed with NAA/USA Archery for the last 18 years for two reasons: their stewardship for youth archery and their stewardship for coaching development, both of which my family and I have greatly benefited from. As John said in another thread, I am trying to develop well rounded young people who occasionally shoot arrows. I have been doing this long enough that there is a record of accomplishment of helping these young people into adulthood. College is easier because of the life skills they have acquired through archery. In other words, I am trying to keep kids out of the legal system (and sitting on the other side of the court room from JimC) and archery is my leverage. And oh, by the way, if we are going to do archery, we might as well learn to do it correctly. My only reason for paying attention to Olympic archery is that it helps me recruit new minions. I will be the first to admit that the stewardship for youth archery and coaching development has taken some hits the last several years. For example, the inexplicable failure to include barebow archery in the youth portion of USA Archery despite wide spread grass roots support and international benchmarking. Sending only one barebow archer when there were six positions available in youth barebow to world field is embarrassing. Another that comes to mind is the inability to set an Olympian achievement standard for the 50M compound round. Delegate and get it done.

I am still hopeful that USA Archery comes around.

I am still hopeful that USA Archery comes around.
    As am I Tom. as am I.

But the question I've always pondered, since hearing NAA horror stories since 2004, is just how detatched and ineffective does an organization need to become before the members collectively decide to make a change? And how many prospective and former members are lost because of the problems and the price?

I guess that's for each member to decide, but it is also for us to collectively decide as a voting membership. I guess, like in many disfunctional relationships, when the pain of staying is greater than the perceived pain of leaving, it's time to go.

John
    Renegade Archer

What is keeping the NFAA from starting up a Target division and recruiting NAA members to 'come join the fun' ?

Seems like a good marketing opportunity to easily expand their membership.
    L K S
    Laus Deo

You know Larry, I don't know. But as low as their attendance often is for their outdoor events, it would seem to be a reasonable thing for them to try. I heard over the past two years that the NAA and NFAA had plans to begin working together more. As an archer and JOAD coach, I've not see where this is happening in practice, but it may be "behind the scenes." I just don't know. Hosting Nationals in Yankton, I think, was an attempt for the two organizations to work together. Not sure what ever came of it though.

John
    Renegade Archer

I know in Oklahoma there is a real bias by the OSAA in favor of NFAA and against NAA (there are exceptions, most notably Jane Johnson, who is a paragon of grace and professionalism). From what I hear, the execs of the OSAA won't post NAA event schedules or scores, etc - the bias is quite petty but energetic. Unfortunately, there's about 3 Olympic recurve target shooters in the entire state, so not a lot of 'backlash groundswelling' voices to be heard around here.

If the orgs are, indeed, independent, then there isn't a reason I can think of for the NFAA not to attempt to create a division that would swell their membership/revenues and open up potentially a whole new world (literally) of opportunity. As a small businessman, I know that if I saw an opportunity like this I'd already have jumped all over it.

My guess is that there is some kind of backroom linkage that keeps the NFAA from doing so.
    L K S
    Laus Deo

Well, I'm not sure whether the JOAD program is the "property" of the NAA, or what. But I suspect that since it uses the name "Olympic" it is somehow tied in a way that no other organization can use it. And frankly, the JOAD program is a huge part of the NAA.

John
    Renegade Archer

Well thank you for all the feedback! Better than what I was expecting, but good nonetheless.

Frankly at this point I don't think my daughter cares what she shoots. She was interviewed for our local NBC affiliate as part of their olympic coverage and the reporter asked her "What do you like most about archery?" she said, "The awards!!!" He chuckled and and said "Well yeah, but what else????". She is having fun, what more can I ask.

John, thanks for all your helpful insight, you don't know it but you have taught me a lot in my short time here on the forums, maybe I can buy you a beer at nationals.

lksseven, I think her music right now consists of "does it have an X?" The animal round at nationals is going to be fun!

Warbow, it was actually her idea to try out field and hunter this year. We have to walk through a course at our club to get to the FITA field and she aske last year what those targets were. So I learned real quick and we gave it a go. The first few rounds in our club league we walked alone, then we started showing up a bit earlier and ran into more people. She was hesitant about shooting in a group at first, but luckily we keep running into really friendly people. She is comfortable now shooting with strangers and even did pretty darned good at our first travel event.

Mike2787 - yeah, I keep telling myself one of these days I have to get a bow. I think I am missing something if I don't, especially walking around with my little girl while she is still little

Midway - sort of like "You've stumbled you guys to this point - why stop now?!?!?" LOL!!!

TomB - Yeah, that is a big benefit of my NAA membership. I love our club and her JOAD coaches.

You guys mentioned NFAA target shooting. Here is a funny thing, at our State Games of Michigan the shoot a Star FITA this weekend. My daughter qualified last year to attend the 2013 State Games of the US in Hershey PA. Looking at the State Games of PA for their archery event they shoot an NFAA 900 so I assume if we go in 2013 she will shoot an NFAA 900 - I know she won't care, FITA or 900, the target has an X in the middle....

So I guess we will just stay members of both. Won't expect too much out of US Archery cause we are not on the special teams and just keep having fun at what we can have fun at!

Thanks all!!!

Won't expect too much out of US Archery cause we are not on the special teams and just keep having fun at what we can have fun at!
    Probably the best approach at the end of the day... One thing I can say is that the JOAD lanyards and pins are SO MUCH BETTER now than the plain old patches they used to get. Each kid had to figure out what to sew those patches on, and sewing them on was a real chore anyway. The eye-catching lanyards and attractive pins are a real motivator for not only our JOAD kids, but also my Adult Achievement members. Come to think of it, if you don't yet know about the Adult Achievement program, look it up, get a bow, and go for it! Your daughter will love seeing you work for your next achievement pin while she works towards hers...

maybe I can buy you a beer at nationals.
    Glad I can help, and I'll take you up on that offer!

John
    Renegade Archer

Well, I'm not sure whether the JOAD program is the "property" of the NAA, or what. But I suspect that since it uses the name "Olympic" it is somehow tied in a way that no other organization can use it. And frankly, the JOAD program is a huge part of the NAA.

John
    I've just been reading through the NAA history that TexArc posted. Turns out that JOAD actually predates the NAA's official involvement in the Olympics and the name is a seemingly aspirational one, as much for the NAA as for the kids, but the NAA specifically sought and received special permission to use the name "Olympic". It wasn't just a case of the NAA already being the Olympic NGB and thinking "Hey, we're Olympic, we'll just sneak the name through for our kids program...."

NATIONAL ARCHERY ASSOCIATION OF THE UNITED STATES
    BOARD OF GOVERNORS MEETING, 10:00 A.M., AUGUST 5, 1962
    OAK BROOK POLO CLUB, OAK BROOK, ILLINOIS

Mr. Albright moved that the Association request the Olympic Committee of the
    United States grant the privilege to the N.A.A. for the use of the word Olympic in
    a proposed Junior Archery Olympic program to be conducted by the National
    Archery Association. It was seconded by Mr. Helwig and passed unanimously.
    The development of the program and the sponsors is to be undertaken by a committee
    of the Association. The participants in the program will not be over the age of
    18 years.
    53. Clayton Shenk next advised the Board that he was concerned with the development
    of a Junior Olympic Program and was appointing a committee of George
    Helwig, Dave Teggie and Bill Waldsworth to develop a definite program and submit
    a report to the Board at the next meeting. George Helwig is to serve as Chairman
    of the Committee.
    <evidence><

I am a member of both, but find the organizations on completely different paths....

The NFAA is run by an older generation of archer that seems to have little concern for bringing "new blood" into the sport. Field events in our area have declined steadily for years and I fear it will be the end soon for that organization because of the lack of initiative to change. It would seem to me that the good ol' boys that are running it just want to keep it the way it is....

The NAA and ASA seem to be the ones on the right path as for keeping the sport alive. The both have a focus on youth and their events are very well run IME...While their politics can seem a little crazy, both orgs seem to be on the right track for continued growth.
    Just put it in the middle and shoot!

One concern I've seen attempting to develop youth and female archers while shooting out of an NFAA club is "the hunting" aspect of archery.

It's a battle each session to have those hunting reminders where the average female, youth archer and those parents of the youth archers have to encounter reminders of hunting. And when attempting to discuss this with club members it's as if I have three heads and stop speaking english. This for me is the BIGGEST detractor to developing youth and female archers similar to what you see in the NAA. Add to this the strange classes in NFAA. If they's just say...if you want to shoot fingers then you will shoot FITA rules. If not then you're shooting against other compound archers shooting compounds. Teach 3 styles of archery--Compound release, FITA & instinctive.

Period.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post
    One concern I've seen attempting to develop youth and female archers while shooting out of an NFAA club is "the hunting" aspect of archery.

It's a battle each session to have those hunting reminders where the average female, youth archer and those parents of the youth archers have to encounter reminders of hunting. And when attempting to discuss this with club members it's as if I have three heads and stop speaking english. This for me is the BIGGEST detractor to developing youth and female archers similar to what you see in the NAA.
    That's been my experience with the local NFAA clubs as well, who, as part of club membership, require you to join the NFAA state member organization, California Bowmen Hunters/State Archery Association (CBH/SAA). None of my friends, women especially, have any interest in hunting, any more than I, as a target archer, have any interest in shooting hoards of medieval infantry. I've made some effort to provide a guide to archery in my area specifically with non-hunters in mind, and I've even re-edited some instructional videos, strictly for personal use, to remove the hunting scenes so I can show them to non-hunting friends.

And the local NFAA clubs are all compound dominated, with the exception of "Bowhunters Unlimited", which has a lot of trad shooters, but, well, there is sort of a hunting theme

And on a completely unrelated note, well mostly un-related, do you know, massman, if the Wooster indoor round (60 arrows, 5 at a time at a 16 inch target (pretty much an NFAA indoor round) originated in Wooster, Mass? That's what the UK sites say, but I can't find verification of that.

So the NAA, with its emphasis on target shooting, has been an organization more in line with the kind of archery I'm interested in, though it tends to give short shrift to field and 3D.
    <evidence><

It seem to me in my experience that NFAA archery is "Club" based archery while NAA archery is "State" base. I think this is based primarily due to the formats. A field being used for NAA archery is set up, the shoot run and then the field is broken down. Rather with NFAA archery using a walk around course these are set up semo or permenently. Security of the archery butts is another influence.

I've heard that Lunenburg Archers in Lunenburg Ma is planning a FITA style field shoot in August. I'm not sure if they plan to restake their NFAA field course with meter distances or do a conversion if the meter distance to the nearest yardage distance.

Tom