Thread: Crazy nock hi to tune a z7

Crazy nock hi to tune a z7

I am working on a buds z7. New Prolines installed. Idler set. Ata and brace spot on. It is prob a 1/4" above level, maybe a little more to get a good hole in paper at 3'. I have done two others and got perfect tears and bare shafts were super too. What is causing an aggressive high nock to get a good hole paper tuning? weak limb?

Ideas?

Thanks
    JB
    J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmobley View Post
    What is causing an aggressive high nock to get a good hole paper tuning?
    Wouldn't say a nock point 1/4" above level is 'aggressive high'.

Maybe not. Just not sure why other z7s i tuned are so
    Much lower?
    J.B.

I know your ATA & BH are correct but is the draw length spot on?

Depends if the rest are arrow. Is level with the burger hole ? Had the same problem on a bow once. me being stupid set the rest to the D loop which was to high because I took WB off and installed a QAD. It tail high no matter what. maybe look at that. lower everything down to center the hole more are less.
    2014 Chill R #2 , QAD HDX, MBG Ambush, 5" Axion, Easton Injexion, Rage Hypodermic
    2013 Chill, QAD HDX, MBG Ambush , 5" Axion, Easton Injexion, Rage Hypodermic

Is the draw length spot on? I would lower the nocking point or loop to level out the arrow, and add a couple twists to the buss cable. If that's helping your high tear, keep adding twists till you get a good tear.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2
    New Level Archery Custom Bowstrings
    ****2013 Pro Comp Elite XL****
    ****2014 Faktor34****
    ****2014 Pro Edge Elite****

Sorry I read that wrong, add twists to the string, or take some out of the buss cable.

****2014 Faktor34****

Arrow is thru the center of the berger. Same as others i have set up. New set of strings tunes out same as the original set on this bow. Im really wondering if a limb is weak or something.

I havent checked the draw length. Any easy way to do that without a draw board?
    J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmobley View Post
    Im really wondering if a limb is weak or something.
    I doubt it, it still tunes ok so I wouldn't worry about.

What makes it tune so different?
    J.B.

what kind of rest?

Qad. Exact same as others i have been tuning. It had a ripcord and tuned the same before just swapping to the qad.

J.B.

That's actually pretty normal for many of the Z7's I have tuned and setup, they all should be nock high with a drop away rest and have never tuned a bow to bareshaft that was level.

I agree. This is just noticeably higher.
    J.B.

You may check your cam positioning as an excessively rolled over cam can affect nock travel slightly and may make it a little higher, but typically with the Z7's and the HeliM they have all tuned nock high for me. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Land View Post
    You may check your cam positioning as an excessively rolled over cam can affect nock travel slightly and may make it a little higher, but typically with the Z7's and the HeliM they have all tuned nock high for me. Good luck

Kinda what I had said in a previous post, isn't it? Level out the arrow, and advance the cam by taking twists out of the buss cable, or add twists to the string. Hope that helps you get it sorted out, and shooting the way you want.

****2014 Faktor34****

Quote Originally Posted by McMickster View Post
    Kinda what I had said in a previous post, isn't it? Level out the arrow, and advance the cam by taking twists out of the buss cable, or add twists to the string. Hope that helps you get it sorted out, and shooting the way you want.

Well yes and no! Cam positioning on those Mathews bows can affect performance and nock travel and should be set PRIOR to tuning and you do not want a level nock position with these bows and any drop away rest at all. Adjusting the cable and string length will adjust the cam positioning but this needs to be done 1st then tune the bow, along with setting upper idle wheel lean. You should not have to twist cables and strings to tune the bow after setting cam positioning but adjust nock and rest adjustments to tune the bow.

Took twist out of string tonight. Timing hole looks micro spot on. Ata and brace are there too. Gona try some paper again tomorrow. Idler was already set.

Thanks for feedback.
    J.B.

Persistent nock high tear after lowering nock height or raising rest, may be due to under spined arrow. See if you can reduce or eliminate the tear by dropping poundage.

Quote Originally Posted by Praeger View Post
    Persistent nock high tear after lowering nock height or raising rest, may be due to under spined arrow. See if you can reduce or eliminate the tear by dropping poundage.
    Thanks. will try that too when I start on the paper tuning.
    J.B.