a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: keeping ticks off while hunting

keeping ticks off while hunting

what are some good ways to keep ticks off without spooking deer with the smell of spray repellant? are there any scentless or scent-less products out there that work? I get ticks on me everytime i set foot in the woods, and I'm not trying to get lyme disease or the red meat allergy, but i want to shoot deer! what does everyone do about this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by echatham View Post
    what are some good ways to keep ticks off without spooking deer with the smell of spray repellant? are there any scentless or scent-less products out there that work? I get ticks on me everytime i set foot in the woods, and I'm not trying to get lyme disease or the red meat allergy, but i want to shoot deer! what does everyone do about this issue?
    theres two ways.... permethrin or hunt when it is cold

There is a thread on here about making your own tick repellent. It is permethrin.

Sawyers. You treat your clothing the night before and as far as I can tell it is odorless after drying.
    “When a hunter is in a tree stand with high morale values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God”
    Fred Bear

I don't worry about it much because I ususally have pants tucked into Muck boots. If I hunted somewhere I kept running into enough ticks that bothered me, I use Off around my pants legs. Yes it stinks but if they can smell that they can smell you anyways.

I have no idea what "red meat allergy is, but I have had Lymes and I still refuse to be over paranoid about ticks.
    watch our hunting and bowfishing webcast at AimNLowTV.com

Yep. I use permethrin when the ticks are bad down here. Spray it on, wait overnight, then wear. Do not get it on your skin.
    Starrflight FOBS, Twisted Archer Strings, Treewalker Treestands, Black Gold Sights, Vortex Optics (Thanks for the giveaway!)

Proud member of TEAM MONGREL!

Rynoskin works! Plus it helps keep you cooler in warm weather. I use for turkey season and archery season in Tennessee. No ticks or ciggers. Friend told me about it as he has used for over 5 years now. I've used for last 2 years. You might find some on your outer clothing but NONE get to you. Be sure to get the hood too.

Regis

Quote Originally Posted by useyourbow View Post
    Sawyers. You treat your clothing the night before and as far as I can tell it is odorless after drying.
    Nice thing with Sawyers is they say it will last up to 6 washings.
    New Breed Cyborg | Mathews DLD | Hoyt Carbon Matrix | Tallon Whisky-Jack Longbow
    New Breed Archery Field Staff
    Supporter of Nuge's Strings

I've been reading about this recently and have found cedar oil and rose geranium oil are natural tick repellents and will kill them on contact as well.

I'm not really sold on the idea of using permethrin, but I also don't want to deal with ticks.

Still tossed up about this.

Ticks are real bad this year. Im thinking that i want to try cedar. as its natural scent wont spook deer and it supposedly works. I cant wait for that first frost to get here to kill them things.
    2010 MATHEWS Z7 / 70# 28.5"
    TRUGLO - MICROBRITE DOVETAIL 5PIN .10
    VICTORY VFORCE 350 AND A 100GR RAGE CHISEL TIP WARHEAD
    TEAM#5 HARDWOODS HEART STOPPERS

Quote Originally Posted by RegisG View Post
    Rynoskin works! Plus it helps keep you cooler in warm weather. I use for turkey season and archery season in Tennessee. No ticks or ciggers. Friend told me about it as he has used for over 5 years now. I've used for last 2 years. You might find some on your outer clothing but NONE get to you. Be sure to get the hood too.

Regis
    Use caution when using this type garment vs. repellent. The ticks could accompany you to your vehicle and crawl around on your seats until your unprotected. Just a thought.
    “When a hunter is in a tree stand with high morale values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God”
    Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by rdneckhillbilly View Post
    Nice thing with Sawyers is they say it will last up to 6 washings.

Ditto.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...rmethrin+spray

Quote Originally Posted by Robin@AimLow View Post
    I don't worry about it much because I ususally have pants tucked into Muck boots. If I hunted somewhere I kept running into enough ticks that bothered me, I use Off around my pants legs. Yes it stinks but if they can smell that they can smell you anyways.

I have no idea what "red meat allergy is, but I have had Lymes and I still refuse to be over paranoid about ticks.
    Lol my friend is really paranoid about ticks. I went to his cabin and we went paintballing. When we got back he was freaking out cause he had 10 ticks on him. I was like go turkey hunting I have pulled in the 20's off of me.

Not sent from my iPod touch...

sawyers sounds like the stuff to me. thanks guys!

Just bought a can of Sawyers myself after reading all this stuff. I rarely get them on me and have never been bit but I would like to keep it that way as well!
    Hoyt Faktor 30 Blackout -70lbs-28.5 DL-305 FPS
    DeerCrossingArchery ~Use XPO10 for 10% off DCA orders!~
    XtremePursuitOutdoors

Quote Originally Posted by useyourbow View Post
    Sawyer is pre-packaged permethrin. Mix your own and you can may 6 gallons of it for the price of one can of Sawyers.
    Prov 16:3 "Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed."

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs Bunnyy View Post
    Lol my friend is really paranoid about ticks.
    Obviously many people are paranoid. People trying so many things for them.
    watch our hunting and bowfishing webcast at AimNLowTV.com

Sawyers worked for me last season...Or you could go for the Elimitick clothing which is inpregnated with perimetherin. I have Elimitick hood/face mask that is nice and light for warm weather but it work great as a base layer in colder weather.
    2009 Diamond Stud 65#, 29"DL, 270fps, 29" Beman ICS Hunter 340, 400gr, KE=70#, Momen=.49, NAP 100gr Spitfire, Broken Rack Archery Strings
    2013 TenPoint Titan Extreme 185#, 315fps, 20" TenPoint Pro Elite Carbon bolts, 425gr, KE=94#, NAP 100gr Spitfire