a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 92

Thread: Prominent athiest blogger converts...

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mackinaw, IL
    Posts
    3,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
    Do you have stock in the Internet Stock Answer company?
    Is that a yes?

    Do you understand that the stereotyping and broad brush painting you do ALL THE TIME is not only blatantly false, but an oft-used tactic of the weak argument?



    I'm not trying to be insulting here, but Spreggy, you gotta stop using these big generic stereotypical statements to make your point.


  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    MN, Minneapolis area
    Posts
    23,190
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShake View Post
    Is that a yes?

    Do you understand that the stereotyping and broad brush painting you do ALL THE TIME is not only blatantly false, but an oft-used tactic of the weak argument?

    I'm not trying to be insulting here, but Spreggy, you gotta stop using these big generic stereotypical statements to make your point.
    Sometimes the stereotypes have factual basis. Catholics are known for having an impersonal religion. There will, of course, be exceptions. But I think that in this case the stereotype has some merit.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The real NY, 250 miles NW of Manhattan
    Posts
    13,478
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShake View Post
    Is that a yes?

    Do you understand that the stereotyping and broad brush painting you do ALL THE TIME is not only blatantly false, but an oft-used tactic of the weak argument?

    I'm not trying to be insulting here, but Spreggy, you gotta stop using these big generic stereotypical statements to make your point.
    In reference to Catholicism, it has been my experience that for the most part what goes on in church stays in church. Once out, then the so-called ins pile up. Clear enough for you?
    With a pair of heavy-duty zircon-encrusted tweezers in my hand.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mackinaw, IL
    Posts
    3,154
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_Chick View Post
    Sometimes the stereotypes have factual basis. Catholics are known for having an impersonal religion. There will, of course, be exceptions. But I think that in this case the stereotype has some merit.
    I would claim stereotypes have no merit. They are based off a limited sample, and are more conjecture and personal bias than fact.

    To state unequivocally that ALL Catholics do X is a false statement

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mackinaw, IL
    Posts
    3,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
    In reference to Catholicism, it has been my experience that for the most part what goes on in church stays in church. Once out, then the so-called ins pile up. Clear enough for you?
    So, what exactly is your experience... how many out of the MILLIONS of Catholics?

    I can point out at least 2 dozen Catholics in my group of friends right now who exhibit the exact opposite of the behavior your claiming. THAT ALONE disproves your "All" Statement, and certainly calls to question the stereotype

  6. #56
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The real NY, 250 miles NW of Manhattan
    Posts
    13,478
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShake View Post
    So, what exactly is your experience... how many out of the MILLIONS of Catholics?

    I can point out at least 2 dozen Catholics in my group of friends right now who exhibit the exact opposite of the behavior your claiming. THAT ALONE disproves your "All" Statement, and certainly calls to question the stereotype
    I really must say you are in a tenacious mood today. If you can't see the apparent tongue in cheek nature of the first post, then well there ya go. Feel free to pop in on the businesses owned by your Catholic friends, and note how many leave the book for American business rules. Then see how many aren't getting any nooky before marriage. And then... well you get the picture.
    Experience: 18 yrs of Catholicism, including all the usual sacraments to that age. Two years of catholic school. Catholic family, in a catholic town. Yeah, I'm familiar.
    Are there any other insignificant points you'd like to beleaguer?
    With a pair of heavy-duty zircon-encrusted tweezers in my hand.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mackinaw, IL
    Posts
    3,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
    I really must say you are in a tenacious mood today. If you can't see the apparent tongue in cheek nature of the first post, then well there ya go. Feel free to pop in on the businesses owned by your Catholic friends, and note how many leave the book for American business rules. Then see how many aren't getting any nooky before marriage. And then... well you get the picture.
    Experience: 18 yrs of Catholicism, including all the usual sacraments to that age. Two years of catholic school. Catholic family, in a catholic town. Yeah, I'm familiar.
    Are there any other insignificant points you'd like to beleaguer?
    Just put down the broad brush, and we can move on. Basing your aguement on stereotypes is not insignificant, its intellectually dishonest, and you know it.

    I'm done, lets move on.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,947
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenBubba View Post
    I wonder who will hate her more, The Catholics or the atheists? I think we know the answer to that.

    Hate her? I don't give a rats arse what she does with her time, it affects me not. If she looked into the mirror and came away thinking that she needed to be Catholic, good for her, whatever pumps the sunshine up your skirt. One more Catholic in the world doessn't send me round the twist; who cares?
    "Brew your own beer, blow up your TV, kill your own beef, build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it." -Edward Abbey

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    MN, Minneapolis area
    Posts
    23,190
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShake View Post
    I would claim stereotypes have no merit. They are based off a limited sample, and are more conjecture and personal bias than fact.

    To state unequivocally that ALL Catholics do X is a false statement
    You could claim whatever you wish.. but you'll be wrong. Check out how many catholics have sex prior to marriage, or how many use birth control. What they do in their everyday lives has little to do with what the pope or the church tells them is correct.

    I already admitted that there will be exceptions. But it's a branch of christianity that focuses more on ritual and tradition than on a personal relationship. So a most follow some of the rituals to ensure heaven, but that's about it.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mackinaw, IL
    Posts
    3,154
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_Chick View Post
    You could claim whatever you wish.. but you'll be wrong. Check out how many catholics have sex prior to marriage, or how many use birth control. What they do in their everyday lives has little to do with what the pope or the church tells them is correct.

    I already admitted that there will be exceptions. But it's a branch of christianity that focuses more on ritual and tradition than on a personal relationship. So a most follow some of the rituals to ensure heaven, but that's about it.
    Actually, I would be far from wrong.... Stereotypes serve no purpose when trying to argue a point. FACT does.

    Its also a basic tenant of Christianity that all men are sinners, so to expect a Catholic to follow every rule to the letter is to be blind to reality.

    Regardless, the blazing generality given was that ALL Catholics leave their faith at church and turn into someone else, wearing a different badge if I may. THAT is blatantly true.

    Do you have anything to attack thats not a useless stereotype?


    I will agree, however, that the Catholic Church does focus more on ritual and tradition than a personal relationship with God and Jesus. I think thats where they miss the mark.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The real NY, 250 miles NW of Manhattan
    Posts
    13,478
    Bill Maher said it best, when he said the Pope is the most loved man that nobody listens to in the world.
    With a pair of heavy-duty zircon-encrusted tweezers in my hand.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    4,411
    Bill Maher is just jealous. People actually do love the Pope.

  13. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
    Bill Maher said it best, when he said the Pope is the most loved man that nobody listens to in the world.
    I feel the same about Maher. Nobody listens to him.


  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Pine View Post
    I feel the same about Maher. Nobody listens to him.

    Who's Bill Maher?

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    MN, Minneapolis area
    Posts
    23,190
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShake View Post
    Actually, I would be far from wrong.... Stereotypes serve no purpose when trying to argue a point. FACT does.

    Its also a basic tenant of Christianity that all men are sinners, so to expect a Catholic to follow every rule to the letter is to be blind to reality.

    Regardless, the blazing generality given was that ALL Catholics leave their faith at church and turn into someone else, wearing a different badge if I may. THAT is blatantly true.

    Do you have anything to attack thats not a useless stereotype?


    I will agree, however, that the Catholic Church does focus more on ritual and tradition than a personal relationship with God and Jesus. I think thats where they miss the mark.
    98% of catholic American women use birth control. That's not a stereotype, it's a fact. Birth control is not an "oops" type of mistake like telling a lie or being envious. It is a blatant and intentional act that the church says is just as evil as an abortion. The facts show that most catholics disregard the teachings of the church when not inside the church.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CA, inland empire
    Posts
    26,453
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_Chick View Post
    98% of catholic American women use birth control. That's not a stereotype, it's a fact. Birth control is not an "oops" type of mistake like telling a lie or being envious. It is a blatant and intentional act that the church says is just as evil as an abortion. The facts show that most catholics disregard the teachings of the church when not inside the church.
    WHY shouldn't they? its not like the Priest lead by example
    Not as smart or as good looking as punch master but I charge 1/4 of what he does & I take coupons

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_Chick View Post
    98% of catholic American women use birth control. That's not a stereotype, it's a fact. Birth control is not an "oops" type of mistake like telling a lie or being envious. It is a blatant and intentional act that the church says is just as evil as an abortion. The facts show that most catholics disregard the teachings of the church when not inside the church.
    It's not really a fact.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...eqIR_blog.html

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murphysboro, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    3,700
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenBubba View Post
    Your facts still show that most catholics disregard the teachings of the church when not inside the church.

    fail3.jpg
    The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

  19. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHarry View Post
    Your facts still show that most catholics disregard the teachings of the church when not inside the church.

    fail3.jpg
    You gotta read the article Big before you can post the insult. Don't they teach this in atheist 101?

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murphysboro, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    3,700
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenBubba View Post
    You gotta read the article Big before you can post the insult. Don't they teach this in atheist 101?
    I read that 68% use some form of birth control. Besides, even if I happen to be wrong this time it'll for most of your other stuff! lol!
    The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The real NY, 250 miles NW of Manhattan
    Posts
    13,478
    The Catholic priest in our neighborhood told my father, after the sixth kid (me), that maybe it was time for him to *cough* take a fishing weekend with his buddies *cough*. Three kids later, he wised up and had the bullets removed from the family arsenal.
    With a pair of heavy-duty zircon-encrusted tweezers in my hand.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,947
    The biggest buried treasure left undiscovered in the world today lies beneath the Vatican. How much fun would it be to gain access to that basement and see all the secrets they've managed to squirrel away over the centuries.
    "Brew your own beer, blow up your TV, kill your own beef, build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it." -Edward Abbey

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mackinaw, IL
    Posts
    3,154
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_Chick View Post
    98% of catholic American women use birth control. That's not a stereotype, it's a fact. Birth control is not an "oops" type of mistake like telling a lie or being envious. It is a blatant and intentional act that the church says is just as evil as an abortion. The facts show that most catholics disregard the teachings of the church when not inside the church.
    That 98% statistic is both skewed and wrong. In FACT, the study that was based off of stated this:

    98% of self-identified Catholic women who have had sex have admitted to having used some form of birth control other than "natural planning" during the course of their life.

    When 11% of Catholic women claim they have never had sex (from the same study), its impossible to state that 98% of them have used birth control.

    Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...eqIR_blog.html


    Regardless of that, the point still stands... even willing disobedience doesn't change the fact that we are all sinners, and that doesn't suddenly make all Catholics fake, or Catholics on Sunday only.

    Why the insistence on using a stereotype? Is there no other argument to back up the point?

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mackinaw, IL
    Posts
    3,154
    Quote Originally Posted by bigharry View Post
    i read that 68% use some form of birth control. Besides, even if i happen to be wrong this time it'll for most of your other stuff! Lol!
    68% have.......

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Googleville
    Posts
    38,176
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShake View Post
    That 98% statistic is both skewed and wrong. In FACT, the study that was based off of stated this:

    98% of self-identified Catholic women who have had sex have admitted to having used some form of birth control other than "natural planning" during the course of their life.

    When 11% of Catholic women claim they have never had sex (from the same study), its impossible to state that 98% of them have used birth control.

    Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...eqIR_blog.html


    Regardless of that, the point still stands... even willing disobedience doesn't change the fact that we are all sinners, and that doesn't suddenly make all Catholics fake, or Catholics on Sunday only.

    Why the insistence on using a stereotype? Is there no other argument to back up the point?

    Ok so then your saying that all Christians or catholic or people in general just because they fail or sin doesn't make them less that what they say they are? So if I say Bob is a christian and a murderer then you can't come back and say he wasn't a real Christian? And I can count on you to back me up against other who implore the "real true christian" deal when some one has done some thing horrible?????
    Fair and Balanced with a splash of Sarcasm, and pinch of Reason

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •