Thread: stupidity or not?

stupidity or not?

iv'e read where guys have tried a different brand of broadhead other than what they was using and had bad luck with the new broadhead because either they didn't have a good blood trail or didn't recover the deer but kept using that brand of broadhead and still had bad luck with em but didn't switch back to they're original heads till like the 3rd time of having bad luck with new heads so to me this is stupidity don't ya'll agree? because if your'e not finding your'e deer why keep using that brand of broadhead? but i use g5 montecs and iv'e lost 2 deer using that head but iv'e also had good luck with the montecs on other deer so that's why i haven't switched because hell i'm not having total bad luck with em.

If I was sure that the shot was good, I would switch. Part of hunting is having confidence in your gear. They may work great for others but if you don't have confidence in them then it will effect you. You might not take a shot or you might give up on the recovery just a few minutes sooner or any number of subtle choices that might change the outcome. there are lots of great heads out there. good luck.
    beaten paths are for beaten men
    2011 PSE Vendetta XL 70# 28"dl

If you lose a deer with any head, look in the mirror for the malfunction.
    #1 Rage fanboy & poacher extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by crankn101 View Post
    If you lose a deer with any head, look in the mirror for the malfunction.
    but iv'e heard of people that even made lung shots and still didn't have a blood trail and didn't recover the deer so it's not always the hunters fault but what i'm saying is i think it's stupid that a hunter will keep using a broadhead that they're having so much bad luck with and this past season was only my second bow season but i haven't had total bad luck with the g5 montecs so might keep using them.

There aren't hardly any "bad" broadheads out there for whitetail deer hunting. Blood trails can vary quite a bit depending the shot placement and the individual animal. And a big but head with a big entry hole is usually going to leave a better blood trail than a smaller cut head. But not give as reliable penetration. No free lunches here. Bullets are a similar dilemna.

Here you go (...................). Those are called "periods". Use them! Hard to understand your jibberish.

and iv'e lost 2 deer using that head but iv'e also had good luck with the montecs on other deer so that's why i haven't switched because hell i'm not having total bad luck with em. and this past season was only my second bow season but i haven't had total bad luck with the g5 montecs so might keep using them.

Sooo, you have lost 2 deer in two seasons and you are on the fence as to whether or not to blame the broadhead? The answer is : it s was Not the broadhead!

Quote Originally Posted by Buck21 View Post
    but iv'e heard of people that even made lung shots and still didn't have a blood trail and didn't recover the deer so it's not always the hunters fault but what i'm saying is i think it's stupid that a hunter will keep using a broadhead that they're having so much bad luck with and this past season was only my second bow season but i haven't had total bad luck with the g5 montecs so might keep using them.
    i have personally never seen this happen. How do they know it was lung shot if they didn't find the deer? If the deer didn't die, then it most likely wasn't a good shot...if it DID die and they didn't find it, then something went wrong in the tracking process. i.e. - They started tracking too soon, didn't look well and hard enough for sign, or just gave up...probably all 3.

I don't buy all this crap you see on here about losing deer to a broadhead. IMO, if a mechanical head malfunctioned, it was user error. And if its from a fixed blade head, then you either didn't shoot the deer correctly or you just didn't track it well enough. Bad shots happen sometimes, but its NOT the bh's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Dv8tion View Post
    and iv'e lost 2 deer using that head but iv'e also had good luck with the montecs on other deer so that's why i haven't switched because hell i'm not having total bad luck with em. and this past season was only my second bow season but i haven't had total bad luck with the g5 montecs so might keep using them.

Sooo, you have lost 2 deer in two seasons and you are on the fence as to whether or not to blame the broadhead? The answer is : it s was Not the broadhead!
    no the first season i didn't even kill a deer with my bow and i never said it was the broadhead did i? no i did not but your'e just one of those crap butts that wants to put people down for making a bad shot.

Buck, confidence in what you shoot is more important then the head itself. If you shoot montecs well and are satisfied stick with them. You started quite a few threads on many other heads that you were considering shooting so that leads me to believe you are desiring more. Honestly, for whitetail I get the sense that you are intrigued by larger cuts and more blood which is why you asked a lot about mechanical broadheads. The montecs have a rep of small hole and hit or miss blood. I would suggest shooting the Slick Trick Grizz Trick, it leaves a competitive hole with some mechanicals and has the simplicity of a fixed head which seems to be your preference.

On another note, people that double lung a deer and can't find them are lazy! They should put more time into tracking or gathered some experienced trackers and give their best effort into recovering the deer. There are people that gut shot a deer, have claimed they smoked it, then go tracking after 15 minutes, and push the deer an extra hundred yards to who knows where. IMO the shooter has to be disciplined enough to determine how soon to pursue the deer. So, I do not blame any head for poor judgment.

You wont fail two or three times with any head if the shoot is in the right spot!

Yep, shot placement is the key.

how did this end up being about me? lol but i'll try some slicktricks.

I have used Montecs and have yet to lose a critter. I think some people like the big blade mechanicals for the easy blood trails. I feel there are two hunts. The first ends with an arrow in a deer and the second when you find that deer. After the shot look and listen for the direction the deer went and really mark that spot in your head. I try to pick a landmark as the woods look a lot different on the ground than they do from 20 feet up. If I think I got a good hit I will wait about 15 minutes or so and then go find the arrow. Usually the arrow tells me a lot. Pink frothy blood with bubbles means lungs and I will wait about half an hour to start trailing. Gut shots just plain smell like it. If I think I hit the gut then I will sit quietly in my stand for a while. I like to get a pass through and read the blood on the arrow to confirm what I saw on the hit. Then I will mark the spot my arrow hit and wait the appropriate time before I start trailing. When trailing a deer pay close attention to the leaves about thigh high because you dont always get good blood after it's hit the ground. I think some guys start to trail to early and push the deer making it harder to find. I also think some people give up too fast.

Come hunt hogs in Florida. Mechanicals are kinda iffy in the dirty tough hide of a hog and all that fat can really plug up a hole. I have learned a lot about blood trailing from hogs. I also know that Montecs need to be kept sharp and if you are not good at or going to put the time in to sharpen a Montec then you are probably better off with a replaceable blade style broadhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck21 View Post
    how did this end up being about me? lol but i'll try some slicktricks.
    because you have mentioned things like people double lunging deer and losing them. That just doesn't happen, and until people get that straight, they'll never be better hunters. I'm not trying to bash you so please don't take it that way. But there's not a broadhead on the market that won't kill a deer efficiently if put in the right spot. So don't make your decision off of what some yay-hoo tells you about losing a deer because XXXXXX broadhead didn't work.

archers like to tinker and try new stuff, especially broadheads because they are relatively cheap and also hyped up with marketing.

not all broadheads work well out of all bows, many mechanicals are made for higher poundage bows. montec is a great head for most setups, so I'd definitely keep using them.

relatively new bowhunters should select a broadhead that provides maximum penetration and greater likelyhood of 2 holes...entrance hole, but, most importantly, an EXIT hole...this will make blood trailing easier....as "scarcasm" pointed out, it is an important part of the hunt...trailing game after the shot.

good luck Buck21....keep 'em sharp and practice often, shooting your broadheads.

shoot often, hunt safe, have fun

g5
    has anyone ever seen any black stainless steel g5 montecs? iv'e got 3 new ones that has never been shot but iv'e sharpened them to get a better edge on em and iv'e been trying to sell em but people keep thinking that they're the montec cs and some think that they're the montec practice heads so how can i convince people that these are the real deal?

Your previous post makes me wonder if you hit those lost deer with practice heads.
    PSE Brute X

TEAM 6 --Buck Yeah--

the ones i used was the silver ones so no they wasn't practice heads plus i recovered 2 out of 4 deer shot so that's also proof they wasn't practice heads.

Just connecting the dots
    PSE Brute X

TEAM 6 --Buck Yeah--

Never seen a broadhead cause the loss of an animal. If the animal is not found, the BH and arrow not found, then there is no way on this earth can anyone tell exactly where the animal was hit. Confidence and correct shot placement will kill an animal no matter what BH is used.
    2009 HCA Speed Pro
    29" 70# 7 Pin Cobra Sidewinder sight, Ripcord Rest, Cobra Impact Gel stabilizer, Chappy Boss Caliper, Custom Sling, Gold Tip XT Hunter's @ 28" & 560 grains!, Custom Yellow/Black Winners' Choice strings/cables. Custom tune by www.probowtune.com

any deer I didnt recover or saw alive again latter was due to bad shot placement and not the broadhead.I have never lost a deer with a good or great shot placement no matter which broadhead I used.some may have run a little further than others depending on the BH I was using but never lost one because of the BH.

what i don't understand is that people say it's the hunters fault, okay well if your'e using a mechanical broadhead and it fails then that's not the hunters fault because anything that's mechanical is gonna fail sooner later, and anything can happen with a mechanical head, like the blades may not open on impact and then they could open in flight but is this the hunters fault? no it is not, and if your'e hunting whether it's with a firearm or archery equipment and just as your'e about to take the shot and the animals moves causing a bad shot is that the hunters fault? no it is not.

Well even if your mechanical head failed as long is it was placed in the killzone it will still kill the deer. A field point can kill a deer flying through the vitals. The loss would be the amount of blood flowing from the wound but it would still be dead.