Thread: Bad bad news!!!! Help me out

Bad bad news!!!! Help me out

Just got word from the land owner of the land that I hunt that the forestry company is going to do a controlled burn this fall. This is really bad news a controlled burn to me is burning ALL the under growth leaving me nothing but pines and a pond which won't be any good for hunting this year. I also was told by someone I know that they usually do controlled burns in September or October which will kill my whole hunting season. What if any experience do you guys have with controlled burns during hunting season or do you know when they usually preform this type of management. I really am not in a good mood right now I had such high hopes for this season got all my scouting done early have my stands hung and got my feeders in and was just letting my deer get fat and happy and now this. Please help me understand what is going on.

[B]'12 Heli M, Viper single pin , Apache Rest, Gold Tip XT Hunters 55/75 topped with Grim Reapers.
    Hers:2011 Elite Pulse, Tru glo 4 pin, Whisker biscuit rest, Razor Trick broad heads!

Well... next year should be amazing
    Hoyt Element RKT, Victory Vaps, Spott HOG, QAD HDX

I live in NC but hunt in North Georgia. They do the controlled burns here around February.
    Black Ops Insanity/Invasion

Quote Originally Posted by Mikenmel08 View Post
    I live in NC but hunt in North Georgia. They do the controlled burns here around February.
    Yeah they typically do it in the spring here too. They just plant pine tree's here during Nov-Dec.

In the se things grow back quickly and in my experience deer will come to a freshly burned block of woods to feed on the new growth. This is also a good time to take advantage of the newly clears property and clean out some new areas for food plots that were previously to difficult to get in.
    70# 29.5" Bowtech Sentinel- Spott Hogg Tommy Hogg- Limb Driver Rest- CX Maxima Hunter 350's- Truball Releases- B-Stinger Stabilizer

We had a big fire burn off our whole place in early October a few years back. We took advantage of it and put in some beets, turnips and winter wheat. November and December of that year were AWESOME!!
    www.ikesoutdoors.com Bow and Product Reviews, How-to videos and more
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ikesoutdoors

Where I hunt here in north west florida they burn through the whole hunting season. I have hunted areas that where still smoking from that morning and have seen many deer. We get alot of mushrooms groing about a week after the burn and the deer eat those like nothing else. post burn is a great time to hunt. just make sure you don't leave your cameras up
    Team Double Lung

Depending on when they burn it could really help you out. I don't think it will hurt anything no matter when they do it.

It will be a positive thing no matter how you shake it. Good luck!

hunting fresh burns is great. i have seen deer standing in the smoldering ash while it was still smoking and eating. in less than a week you will have new growth popping up through the ash and the deer will go crazy eating it.
    2014 Bear Agenda 7
    - Spot Hogg Hogg-It Wrapped 5 Pin Sight
    - Trophy Ridge Revolution 2.0 Rest
    - Trophy Ridge 9" Static Stab /w Doinker QD
    - Trophy Ridge Arrow Cage Quiver

Quote Originally Posted by CamoCop View Post
    hunting fresh burns is great. i have seen deer standing in the smoldering ash while it was still smoking and eating. in less than a week you will have new growth popping up through the ash and the deer will go crazy eating it.
    Kinda what I was thinking; no first hand experience, but seems logical!

Hoyt Maxxis 31 Reezen 6.5

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance: baffle them with BS {unknow}

No worries. Like others said take advantage and plant something afterwards will work like a magnet. On another note some mineral lick products list pot ash as an ingredient.
    “When a hunter is in a tree stand with high morale values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God”
    Fred Bear

dont get too down it may help you
    2011 Hoyt CRX32
    Spott Hogg- Hogg It Sight
    Trophy Taker Drop Away
    >>>---------Let ONE Fly---------->

Called the forestry service today and found out they are going to do the burn late December or early January at the earliest he said so whooo hooo dodge a bullet there I am like you guys though may go in and do a small spring/summer plot when they burn it off and then change it over to a fall plot coming next hunting season.
    [B]'12 Heli M, Viper single pin , Apache Rest, Gold Tip XT Hunters 55/75 topped with Grim Reapers.
    Hers:2011 Elite Pulse, Tru glo 4 pin, Whisker biscuit rest, Razor Trick broad heads!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbuckboy View Post
    Well... next year should be amazing
    Next year is no good since the world ends dec. 21 this year...
    '11 Elite pulse ninja 28" 70#, spot-hogg hogg-it, Ripcord code red,stokerized
    '10 Elite Z28 ninja 70# 28 CBE sniper pro XL, G5 expert pro, stokerized
    1973 Bear Kodiak Mag 28" 45# recurve ( my grandfathers old bow)
    Samik Sage 28" 50#

Sorry to hear that,I am glad i bought my own property.Hope you find a Spot,Should be a Great Spot next year
    "I met him fifteen years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason,no,uh,conscience,no understanding and even the most rudimentary sense of life or death,of good or evil,right or wrong. I met this six year old child with this blank,pale,emotionless face,and the blackest eyes,the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized that what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply evil"...

burns make it a lot easier to find sheds!
    Frenzy:

1. extreme mental agitation; wild excitement or derangement.
    2. a fit or spell of violent mental excitement; a paroxysm characteristic of or resulting from a mania