Thread: Grim reaper draw weight

Grim reaper draw weight

Been considering an 1-3/8 reaper. Draw is 57lbs, Draw length 29". 440 grain arrow. calculated speed is around 260 -270fps. I'm a bit nervous about the scapula on older deer, and if I don't get a passthrough, it seems like the entrance can be pretty small.

Thanks for the help,

B

Entrance wounds with any over the top mechanical are not that great. You dont want to hit a deer in the shoulder with any broadhead but certainly not a mechanical. The Reapers are a solid head though.

You have about 68# of KE. That is plenty to shoot whatever mechanical you want to. Obviously you do not want to shoot a deer in the shoulder on purpose. If you do hit a deer in the scapula with the GR and your KE you will bust right through. Now you will more than likely not get a completepassthru but will get into the vitals plenty. The actual scapula is really not as tough and thick as you might think. The bone leading to the scapula is thick and much harder/tougher.

I have shot several deer in the scapula and blew through every time. I did it with Rocket Hammerheads (2in. 3blade) and 1 deer with Rocket Miniblaster 4L's 1.75in. cut. I cut the scapula out of the deer and it had 4 perfect blade marks in it. I kept it for a long time but my wife threw it away.

All this being said you have more than enough to shoot the GR 1 3/8 heads. I would shoot the Grim Reaper Whitetail Specials 2in. cut. I shot a couple of deer with them last year and they blew right threw just like my Hammerheads always have.

I have killed piles of deer with big mechanicals mostly Rocket Hammerheads and have never had a single problem of any kind.

By the way what kind of bow are you shooting? You must have a bow with an ibo rating of 350fps according to your set up. ( 29/57, 440gr. arrow 270fps)

This setup will do the job anytime. Sorry if i rambled too long.
    PASSTHRU ARCHERY - 828-273-2815
    Obsession /Athens / Xpedition Dealer
    Custom Bow Tuning
    Facebook.com/PassthruArcheryAshvl

read my signature. i had a passthrough on a buck i shot with them last year. blew threw 3 ribs and then burried 8 inches into the dirt.
    Mathews Z7 26''/60lbs shootin' 377 gr ce maxima reds @ 258 fps
    55 ft lbs of ke
    HHA Optimizer, QAD ultra rest HDX
    Doiker Dish Lost Camo
    Carter Evolution +

I'll be shooting similar specs this year...29" 59lbs with a 390 grain arrow in the high 290's. Might even switch back to 100's at over 300. I will be shooting the 1 3/8" with full confidence in them. I shot about a 60lb pig through both shoulders with a Hoyt Maxxis 35 at 29" 60lb with a 425 grain arrow at around 260....blew through the onside shoulder and the offside ribcage and stopped in the offside shoulder with a 1 1/2" Razortip.

"Let me ask you something, does your mother sew? BOOM. Get her to sew that!"

My bad on the specs. I just re-calculated my speed on back country bowhunter, and I'm between 250, and 260fps. 64ft-lbs KE. Sounds like I'll be ok. just have to get over the possibility of a small entry in the case of a non-pass through.

About how big is the entry on a GR 1-3/8" is it 1"?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by BOW BUM View Post
    My bad on the specs. I just re-calculated my speed on back country bowhunter, and I'm between 250, and 260fps. 64ft-lbs KE. Sounds like I'll be ok. just have to get over the possibility of a small entry in the case of a non-pass through.

About how big is the entry on a GR 1-3/8" is it 1"?

Thanks,
    pretty close to 1 1/8 but i wouldnt worry to much abot a pass through most of the deer drop in 75 yards with the reapers. The 1 3/8" is the best of the reapers the 2" and 1 3/4" are to fragile the ferrule will bend if you hit front shoulder. After testing all the reapers on deer shoulders the 1 3/8 is the only one to survive multiple shots into a shoulder blade. hope this helps