Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the best recurve bow out there?

what is the best recurve bow out there?

Ok i have got serious about my traditional archery. I am shooting a bear grizzly right now but i want a better recurve bow. So give me some ideals to think about and study up on.

What would you prefer Wood, metal or carbon riser and what is your budget????

ILF takedown, bolt down limbs or a one piece bow?

dont think there is a best. there are a ton of skilled bowyers out there putting out nice nice stuff. Schafer and black tail get a ton of good feedback as well as morison. I like ILF set ups and think my metal tradtech titan riser is great. like said above need more info on what exactly your looking for
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow, bear kodiak
    paradigm archery field staff

Mine is best. All others don't matter because they are not mine. Wish they were mine though.

Quote Originally Posted by slapstring84 View Post
    Ok i have got serious about my traditional archery. I am shooting a bear grizzly right now but i want a better recurve bow. So give me some ideals to think about and study up on.
    Okay...here's some ideas to study up on...

1. Bow Length: Your grizzly is a fine bow but a tad short at 58"s amo...which could be tough to shoot well for someone getting serious..a 64" Super Kodiak would be a nice bigger brother to compliment your griz and would most likely be way sweeter shooting hence far more enjoyable.

2. Poundage: Go light...the lighter ya go?..the more you can practice...the better you'll get....sooner.

3. There really are very few "bad bows" out there but if you're really getting serious?..go with an ILF bow..preferebly a metal riser one for two reasons...

a. You can swap out limb lengths/poundages on a whim until you find what suits you best and?..

b. You can swap out grips (or mold and/or grind) until you find what suits you best (without destroying/defacing/devaluing the entire bow itself)

happy shopping!
    GOD is my "Aiming System"...and I'm just one of his many arrows!
    BLACK WIDOW PSA II TD RECURVE 62"/43# @28"
    1975 HERTERS PERFECTION MAGNUM RECURVE 60"/44# @ 28"
    BUSHMEN "AMERICAN NATIVE" R/D LONGBOW 64"/37# @ 28"

No such thing as "best" in general, but there probably is a "best" for you personally. I know that is a lame answer, but when you look at the offerings made by the premier bowyers, you are looking at differences mostly in aesthetics and style. There are lots of relatively inexpensive production bows that shoot just as well as the top of the line customs. The bows in my signature are a small selection of what could be termed "custom" bows. Every one of them shoots great, is made well, and is gorgeous. Every one of them feels different and my favorite might not be your favorite. In fact you might not choose to keep any of my bows should they pass through your hands and end up with something completely different.

That's a long winded way of saying only you will be able to tell the ''best" recurve. Do some searches on this site, Trad Gang (http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi), and the Leatherwall (http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/tf/lw/threadsx2.cfm). See what's out there and what people like. Click on the drop down menu at the top of this page (http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...?ubb=forum;f=1). This link is a decent list of bowyers, but is nowhere near complete.

The classifieds is your friend. The classifieds section on Trad Gang is especially good. Custom recurves hold their value well after the initial depreciation, unlike compounds. Any good bow bought used and taken care of will hold its value for years, and in some cases may appreciate in value.

If you truly want an investment quality bow and don't mind waiting a year or two to get it, check out Blacktail and Schafer. There are many others, but those two will probably be present in anybodies list of "best" recurves. They show up used once in a while. Personally I think it would be better to try a few used bows and find out what you like before you pony up well over $1K and wait that long. Enjoy your search! Looking for the perfect bow is usually a long, enjoyable, yet never ending quest...

The best recurve without question is the one that is right for you. People will suggest their favorite but it might not suit you and what you want to do with it.
    If you have the money I would go for custom wood like Dryad or Fox etc over semi custom or production like Bear or Widow or a good metal iLF like DAS or Morrison with carbon limb but you need to get the right set up for you.
    Fox Triple Crown C
    Blackbrook TDRC
    Best Moon
    Blackbrook Zeta C

I dont want to get over 1500 and i want wood.

I have a 21st Century Nova... built by Jim Ploem... I don't know if they are still as classy a bow as they once was, but I'd check them out and ask for some referrals.. sweet sweet shooting bow.

Go here Click me

It's hard to argue against owning one...I've been a longbow guy for a long time..from the first shot this bow and I were one. (I gave it to my wife because she is caught up in aesthetics of recurves) like I am with longbows.

Each to their own but IMHO Widows are Wayyyyy over priced for a slow semi custom bow. For $1000 there are much better bows out there than that.
    Fox Triple Crown C
    Blackbrook TDRC
    Best Moon
    Blackbrook Zeta C

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjono View Post
    Each to their own but IMHO Widows are Wayyyyy over priced for a slow semi custom bow. For $1000 there are much better bows out there than that.
    The 30# shoots 300 gr. 186 fps..not what I'd call slow.

What also matters more than the name on the side is it's intended use, length, and a draw weight you can control. Simple ideas to follow are:

1. Generally the longer it is, the smoother it will feel.
    2. Does it need to be take-down? (Convenient and allows multiple sets of limbs)
    3. If you find a model you like, google reviews on it, and try to shoot before you buy.
    4. Don't overbow yourself.
    5. See number 4.
    6. Have fun!

That pretty much sums it up then as far as me having an opinion on what the best recurve would be out there for you..which is my same shortlist if i was going with a new high-end woodie curve..in order...

#1. "BORDERS" (To be more specific?..Black Douglas SS w/ HexVI Limbs)

#2. "Schafer SilverTip"

#3. "Blacktail"

yep...in my book?...they'd be the best...in order...look'em up...happy shopping..hope that helps. L8R, Bill.
    GOD is my "Aiming System"...and I'm just one of his many arrows!
    BLACK WIDOW PSA II TD RECURVE 62"/43# @28"
    1975 HERTERS PERFECTION MAGNUM RECURVE 60"/44# @ 28"
    BUSHMEN "AMERICAN NATIVE" R/D LONGBOW 64"/37# @ 28"

Best Bow
    http://alternativess.com/cgi-bin/htm...71489239327706

Most advanced recurve limbs in the world!
    http://alternativess.com/cgi-bin/htm...31803639327706

Most economical/excellent quality
    http://alternativess.com/cgi-bin/htm...89243459659005

Go with what feels right and what you really love!

My favorites
    http://alternativess.com/cgi-bin/htm...98583459659005
    http://alternativess.com/cgi-bin/htm...31137859659005
    http://alternativess.com/cgi-bin/htm...74427659659005
    http://alternativess.com/cgi-bin/htm...42762659659005

These bows listed above will most likely win a Gold Medal in the 2012 Olympics. Just saying

Best wishes good luck and give a few of these bows mentioned a try if you are able, the performance and smoothness will be such a huge step up from a Bear Grizzly, "which i own by the way" you will be amazed and enjoy shooting that much more! I would also look at Sky Archery and Border limbs, just so many amazing quality products available now. The custom made bows are a nice option, but if you want the best as far as performance and accuracy then please try a ILF bow. I was at the range the other day and a traditional long bow shooter asked if he could test shoot our Cartel Fantom after one shot, his jaw dropped and said that felt amazing, and is looking into a purchase.

Maybe trips to bow shops, archery events, & try shooting a different ones and see whats best for you.

For me?

#1 is Border, nobody does higher performance.

I've had two sets of their limbs and I'm trying to budget in a longbow now.

-Grant

Are you sure Grant.

QUOTE=grantmac;1064524747]For me?

-Grant[/QUOTE]
    Fox Triple Crown C
    Blackbrook TDRC
    Best Moon
    Blackbrook Zeta C

bob lee is a great bow and they are always cming out with something new like the new stabi lock or what ever it is called. and there is also black widow which makes a good bow as always to

BLACK WIDOW PMA 3 2010 51@30 64"

BEAR GRIZZLY 1966 45@ 28

"stalk softly and carry a bent stick"

If you are truly looking for the best keep your mind open and don't limit yourself to wood.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjono View Post
    Are you sure Grant.

QUOTE=grantmac;1064524747]For me?

-Grant
    [/QUOTE]

We've been through this before.
    I put great stock in a company when they are open about what goes into their products (within reason) and then use them to take records in something like flight shooting (which Border has).

I've yet to have anyone show me another company doing half the R&D of Border. Not to mention that build what I'd consider to be the best wood risers in the world with the TCS.

-Grant

Border Rocks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WOLF View Post
    Border Rocks!!!
    That may be, but for me, overall, its been the bow in hand till I could have afforded another...

Best bow is a very subjective question.

What is the looking for ? Only he knows

I have a wall full of what many would call best bows

Widows
    Silvertips
    Bob Lees
    Fedoras
    Hoyt's
    Etc
    Etc

For me , if someone asked which is the best shooting bow on he rack ?

And if I answered purely on a performance level I would have to say one of the ILF rigs I am using right now

Like most things Grant, it's each to his own and people opinions and experiences differ that's what makes the world go round.

QUOTE=grantmac;1064527468][/QUOTE]

We've been through this before.
    I put great stock in a company when they are open about what goes into their products (within reason) and then use them to take records in something like flight shooting (which Border has).

I've yet to have anyone show me another company doing half the R&D of Border. Not to mention that build what I'd consider to be the best wood risers in the world with the TCS.

-Grant[/QUOTE]
    Fox Triple Crown C
    Blackbrook TDRC
    Best Moon
    Blackbrook Zeta C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast