Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which finger bow and why?

Which finger bow and why?

Looking at different bows to setup for bowhunter class. I think I have it narrowed down to the following three, which is best in your opinion and why?

Vantage LTD

Martin Shadowcat

Protec with xt4000 or LX Pro limbs

Or is there another bow that is better, I am looking for 60# and 29.5" DL. I currently have a Zeus setup but the ATA is only 38", even with a 36" riser its borderline string angle at my DL.

I'd probably go with either one of the Hoyts. If you chose the Shadowcat you'd have to buy used or try to find a leftover as I believe Martin quit making them. Cant go wrong with any of the three you chose all are good bows. The Vantage LTD would probably have the smoothest draw of the three with the accu-wheels. Depends on what you like, I'm not sure what kind of cam choices you have with the Protec. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    2011 Hoyt Vantage LTD, realtree AP, NAP plunger rest, HHA sight, fuse blade stab, hoyt quick detach quiver, easton 2514, 5" feathers, 145gr. snuffer broadheads

I have an Alpine Concorde on its way to me next week. I've heard good things about them and thought I'd give them a try. 40" ATA, and they are still being made for about $650. You can find used 2011's in the $250-300 range.
    If you blame others for your failures, give them credit when you succeed!

I will have to research the Alpine. Thanks and keep the inputs coming.

Mathews Apex 8 or Conquest 4 are a couple more to check out. If the Zeus is a bit too sharp of an angle for you, I doubt the similar sized Shadowcat will work either.

the protec WITH WHEELS is one of my favorites and i've tried a lot of used bows last couple years . not familiar with other two .

Protec xt4000 with cam and 1/2 05 or 06 I have shot almost every long bow Hoyt has made when I started shooting this bow my scores went through the roof. I have shot more critters and won more tournaments with this bow than any other. But there is a but I had to change my form a little. First I shot for 35 years in a collapsed form you know pull the bow all the way back then settle into the valley. Well there is no valley with a cam & 1/2 so I watched the Pro's you know those guys that rarely miss. So I pull to the back and stay there. Also had a follow through release I changed to a stone dead release. All I do now is keep my hand on my face and shoot. If I see arrows going left or right it's almost always my hand comming off my face. If I get a little nervous in a tournament which is all the time I just load a little more weight on my fingers keep my hand on my face and let her fly. For me and my form it is a perfect match. Along with my full metal jackets they are so heavy you can yank the crap out of them and they just keep going down the middle.
    Gary

Have you looked at a Athens excell? Great shooting finger bow.

Rhody creek Archery (MT)
    Authorized Martin / Athens Archery Dealer: 406-564-8372

Martin Factory Staff, Bohning Pro Staff, Trophy Taker Pro Staff, Gold Tip Advisory Staff, Bust-A-Buck Sales Rep (MT).

This is not a hard question for me as I have shot in the Bowhunter NFAA div for about 40 years. this does not mean I know it all because I don't. But IF you look at the all time high scores shot in Bowhunter and Barebow they were all shot with long axel to axel bows 44" or longer.The reason I can say this I was their This does not mean we can't shoot high scores with the new short fast bows. It's just that no one has done it yet. And if they have it has not been at National level tournament. I have always looked at what the top shooters were shooting and how they were doing it. Then tried to copy their style with me in their some where. If I was going to play golf I would copy the Pro's and get after it. So until some Joe Duckbutter comes along and shoots 500 plus consistantly on a field round with a short fast bow I am sticking with what I have. But when they do you can bet I will buying one.(mabey?)
    Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by rsarns View Post
    Looking at different bows to setup for bowhunter class. I think I have it narrowed down to the following three, which is best in your opinion and why?

Vantage LTD

Martin Shadowcat

Or is there another bow that is better, I am looking for 60# and 29.5" DL. I currently have a Zeus setup but the ATA is only 38", even with a 36" riser its borderline string angle at my DL.

Gary,
    I agree 100%, I have been watching the bowhunter guys and what they shoot. I shot in the team event at the Oregon Safari in the bowhunter group, (by the way what a blast!), and they all were shooting older hoyts, protecs, montegas, oasis, and a couple newer Vantage LTD's. I have narrowed my search down to a vantage LTD, I have an 06 Protec with 4000 limbs, but the cams are the wrong DL, and I promised it to someone. I have been shooting my Maitland Zeus (38" ATA - 36" riser) the last few weeks, and although there is no finger pinch, I really don't like the string angle. However, I'll let you know after shooting it this weekend in our State 900 round.

Quote Originally Posted by Athens_Tabman View Post
    Have you looked at a Athens excell? Great shooting finger bow.
    This is the one I've been looking at, mainly because of the long DL and the incredibly smooth looking draw. I think 40" ATA? Hard to get a chance to shoot one of these (or even see one) before buying it but I'm thinking just from all the good things I hear ... going to have to buy one sight-unseen.

I like my Shadowcat, done ok with it so far. If ya get a chance to fing a few arrows with one, try it out.
    Don.
    I shoot for...Gator Vanes....www.gatorvanes.com
    Deer Crossing Archery-Target Shafts-Specialty Archery-Timberdoodle ll-Bow String Depot
    I shoot these bows...Martin SepterV,Shadowcat
    I shoot bowhunter-not barebow..non-sights and fingers.

Dude... You should have said something when you were down here.
    I have four Vantage LTD's.
    I'd have let you take one home to test.
    The more I shoot it the more I like it.

Vantage LTD

Martin Shadowcat

Super Tenere All-The-Way.

one the reasons I like 44" or longer is due to my two point anchor point. I anchor second finger in the corner of my mouth the I push my head down untill my eyebrow touches the string three under. if I go with a shorter axel to axel the string angle is to steep and my head position is to far forward kind of like tring to look through my eyebrow if you know what I mean. I think If a person had a short draw lenth 25" or 26" you could get away with a shorter axel to axel bow. Don I like your shadowcat to you shot it very well at the State Broadhead. A very differant type of shoot 3d unmarked I like the speed. I have watched your old arrows coming out you would have thought they were Stinger missiles. That BAD BOY is fast.
    Gary

Hey Boyd OBE is needing help with string lenth an deflection for a vantage so I sent him your way

Gary

Boyd, if you have one you want to sell.... :-)

Boyd,
    Are you shooting them with accuwheels or did you change them out for cam and a half? I think that is what I want.... should pick up some speed yet still be smooth. I have shot the Protec with cam and a halfs and liked that.

Ren,

Try my Protec with the wheels, its like butter.

Boyd,
    Are you shooting them with accuwheels or did you change them out for cam and a half? I think that is what I want.... should pick up some speed yet still be smooth. I have shot the Protec with cam and a halfs and liked that.
    Cam & 1/2 plus.

Sorry, not wanting to sell any of my babys.

I think Boyd's trying to tell you something. think about it their his "Babys" He is not changing or selling

Gary

Boyd/Gary,
    I understand, and that is kind of the setup I think I want. The cam and a half plus... Now just need to find a couple of LTD's and some Cams to build them.

Ren,
    Here is what I'm saying.
    You pay shipping both ways and you can test shoot a bow you're thinking about building / buying.

Boyd/Gary,
    I understand, and that is kind of the setup I think I want. The cam and a half plus... Now just need to find a couple of LTD's and some Cams to build them.

Boyd,
    Thanks for the offer, but I think if I did that I might be testing it until I see you again... :-) I'll PM you after the weekend.

Boyd... you have a PM.
    Well 1st day of State target in the books.... set the new state 1 day record.... need to keep it together tomorrow!

Boyd... you have a PM.
    Well 1st day of State target in the books.... set the new state 1 day record.... need to keep it together tomorrow!
    Ren,

You’ll do just fine. One arrow at a time and focus on beating each target. When it’s all done, and the score is added up, ANOTHER STATE RECORD will have your name on it.

I’ll keep you posted on how things are progressing with my new bow.

Boyd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast