Thread: The New Carbon Express Covert SLS Crossbow

The New Carbon Express Covert SLS Crossbow

The New Carbon Express Covert SLS Crossbow – More Bang for Your Buck!
    The new SLS series crossbow bridges the gap between true performance and great affordability.
    By: Tim Herald

For the past few years I have been shooting crossbows more and more. I have been able to enjoy the sport with my twin sons, my dad, and a number of friends. As I have tried to introduce more people to crossbows, I almost always get asked, “Well, what’s a good crossbow that won’t break the bank?” That has been a tough one in the past because I have been shooting the CX Covert 3.5 and Covert CX2 crossbows in that past and they were the flagship models that were top end in performance and price. I honestly feel that those models were still very good values, but I understand folks wanting something a bit more affordable. With the introduction of the new COVERT SLS, I can recommend this platform to anyone wanting best value and performance.

So what makes the SLS a “Best Buy” in my opinion? I think it is the best crossbow on the market, pound for pound for the price. It is that simple. The MSRP for the entire SLS package is $599, and you get the crossbow, a quick detach quiver, 3 CX Maxima Hunter 20” bolts, field points, a deluxe lighted scope with red/green illuminations for varying light conditions and rail lubricant. You can open the box, set up the crossbow, and go shoot or hunt immediately. You have everything you need, and the package will perform.

Speaking of performance, the SLS is rated at 355 fps and 199 ft. lbs of kinetic energy with a draw weight of 185 pounds. Believe me, 350fps is smoking, and I have a hard time at 25 yards telling where I hit a deer because of that speed. With a CX crossbow of that speed, my son Drew actually shot completely through 2 whitetails with the same shot and both went down within 60 yards (and no, we didn’t know the second one was there!) That is plenty of speed and power for even the largest North American game.

I guess what I really like the most about the SLS is how versatile it is. It is very rare to find a crossbow this fast that is only 13.5 inches from axle to axle when cocked. To me this slim design means that the SLS is very easy to carry while hunting. It is also very convenient in a treestand or more importantly to me, a ground blind. There is nothing worse than being in a blind and the limbs of a crossbow spreading out so far that they take up the entire front section of the blind and you have to worry about them hitting when you shoot the bow. At 13.5 inches, all of this has been perfectly addressed.

With the compact carbon infused limbs and mini-parallel CNC machined riser, the SLS’s weight is pulled more toward the middle of the crossbow, and it is balanced very well. In my opinion it is a very comfortable weight for a crossbow as many tend to be extremely heavy. All of these factors combined make the SLS a joy to shoot.

A few other nice extras of the SLS are a picatinny mounting system, complete with adjustable forearm and mounting grip that provides the ultimate combination of adjustability for any shooting style and in any hunting environment. The picatinny mounting system is great for attaching Carbon Express’ Crossbow shooting Stick that telescopes from 23” all the way up to a full 62”. The SLS also comes fully camoed in Mossy Oak Obsession.

Yes, you can get a faster crossbow (but not a lot faster), and you can find a cheaper crossbow, but I think you are going to have a really hard time finding a crossbow of this speed, design and quality with such a welcoming price tag. As I write this, turkey seasons are just starting up, and I can’t wait to take my new SLS out in the spring woods to shoot a big strutting longbeard. Crossbows are perfect for turkey hunting, and I could write another whole article on that…come to think of it, maybe I will.

20260_COVERT_SLS_Crossbow.jpg

i want one

LOL what ever you want to believe----If you want a Chinese made crossbow then have to it. There are many well built crossbows made right here in the U.S.A. that IMHO are better built and cost about the same. That price is not anything fantastic.
    Keep this in mind CS doesn't build anything here. Now not to say some of their products aren't any good I won't go that far as I shoot their arrows and fixed broadheads.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

Good review. Thanks for posting it.
    2014 Bowtech RPM 360 for hunting land critters
    2010 AMS Fish Hawk for hunting water critters

What does it mean "carbon infused limbs"?

I like how they say that with this package you get rail lubricant and then you get a tiny plastic package with enough rail lube to do it once......lol

That's what I got with the Ultra-Lite Express I just bought. Looked at it and thought, "what a joke"!! Will a full tube of rail lube really bankrupt these companies if they provide it with a $600 - $1000 crossbow......
    Archers Against Cancer - Shooting for a Cure!
    Event Founder and Organizer!
    Help Us make A Difference!
    Supporting the "Gene Goodreau Patient Assistance Fund"

Quote Originally Posted by Tecnarm View Post
    What does it mean "carbon infused limbs"?
    Good question....

Is not the element carbon an essential building block for everything?

Quote Originally Posted by copperjohn View Post
    Is not the element carbon an essential building block for everything?
    nice angle... one I might use... LOL

I was told that these limbs are not ground and the process they are using makes the limbs virtually unbreakable, even with partial dry fires. I submitted a review of the SLS for the latest issue of Crossbow Magazine. I'll have to say, those limbs are nice and finished like a jewel. So is the rest of the crossbow, especially when you consider its $599 price. The overall bow has a high quality look and feel to it. It's heavy with a heavy draggy trigger but at that price.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MOON

Super Short Recurve Xbows- The Future of Recurve Hunting Xbows

STRYKER 350- LS 390 COMPOUND XBOWS - YOU CAN SPEND MORE .......

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I was told that these limbs are not ground and the process they are using makes the limbs virtually unbreakable, even with partial dry fires. I submitted a review of the SLS for the latest issue of Crossbow Magazine. I'll have to say, those limbs are nice and finished like a jewel. So is the rest of the crossbow, especially when you consider its $599 price. The overall bow has a high quality look and feel to it. It's heavy with a heavy draggy trigger but at that price.....
    I had one of these and for the $$ they are good deal.

You are correct heavy and IMO terrible trigger.. but still alot of bang for the buck.

I think it's crossbows like this and other crossbows in the $500 to $700 range that will play a major roll in increased crossbow hunting popularity. So many folks just can't afford more expensive equipment in these days of.........sorry....politics came to mind
    MOON

"Speaking of performance, the SLS is rated at 355 fps and 199 ft. lbs of kinetic energy with a draw weight of 185 pounds"

Ummm... that should read 119 lbs.... just sayin
    LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    Vent 150 HHA Vortex Diamondback
    Excalibur Matrix 380, Hawke
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

The one I shot chrono'd 348 fps with the supplied 382 grain arrows (if I remember correctly:-) The bow has a relatively short power stroke.
    MOON

very narrow as well !
    LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    Vent 150 HHA Vortex Diamondback
    Excalibur Matrix 380, Hawke
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

The one I handled was very well made and looked to be top quality......just a little heavy for me, but held very nicely......
    Proud Member of the Roy Hall DRIVEN Foundation Impact Team LUKE 12:6
    CROSSBOW CONNECTION MAGAZINE, Field Editor
    Carbon Express CX-1 Blue Streak Arrows Torrid Broadheads
    ...please visit my Blog "Lee Phillips Outdoors" at www.buckhuntinginpa.com ...

I bought the Carbon Express SLS I kept the crossbow for 5 days and returned it , it was one of the worst crossbows I had bought

Quote Originally Posted by goat147 View Post
    I bought the Carbon Express SLS I kept the crossbow for 5 days and returned it , it was one of the worst crossbows I had bought
    goat147...can you please expand on this statement? I am looking to upgrade my xbow and the sls has moved to the top of my list. I've read where some don't like the weight or trigger pull, but for the most part, reviews are good. I look forward to your response, Hokie Hunter.

Carbon Express

Never have owned one, never had the pleasure to shoot one; I have seen them in the stores and held one for just a few moments, could not get use to the design but in no way will I say anything against it but I will add one thing.............

Whatever Moon has to say about it, you can take it to the bank; he (along with others here) will not lead anyone astray.............