a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost per pound of deer meat?

Cost per pound of deer meat?

I know it really doesn't matter how much we spend on our stuff because you can't put a price necessarily on this kind of fun. Have you ever totaled up the cost of your equipment (everything hunting related to paint it broadly) versus a per pound average of the deer meat you put in your freezer. I have totaled it up but I never write it down because I don't want my wife to know!

You can tell a lot about a Man by the way he shakes your hand."
    '14 HOYT FAKTOR 30/ Easton Bloodline/Grim Reaper 100gr./ ViperTrick 100gr.
    2014 Team 43 Backwoods Beatdown

about 2.00/lb

did some quick math the other day, and based on the two deer I have killed, I would say 20 -30 dollars a lb.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCarcher26 View Post
    I know it really doesn't matter how much we spend on our stuff because you can't put a price necessarily on this kind of fun. Have you ever totaled up the cost of your equipment (everything hunting related to paint it broadly) versus a per pound average of the deer meat you put in your freezer. I have totaled it up but I never write it down because I don't want my wife to know!
    I`m not sure I have ever even given it any thought. That`s how irrelevant it is to me.
    Archerytalk=talking about archery. Is that so hard to understand?

Not going to go there. It will ruin the fun of it. Its like doing the math of owning a imported sports car......parts, service,crappy MPG, insurance. You think about all that and you realize its just not worth it. I am not going there with my hunting habbit.
    2012 PSE Bow Madness XL 60 lbs @ 30"
    2012 Rytera Alien XT Hybrix 2.0 cams 65 lbs @ 30"
    2013 PSE EVO Max 70 lbs @ 30"
    2014 ELITE Energy 35 70 lbs @ 30" (Won it here on AT!!)

If my wife knew, I would be crucified...lol! I would say somewhere around $25-$35/lb! But, I totally enjoy what I do....can't put a price on it since our time on earth is way shorter than we can imagine!
    HOYT BOWS,, CARBON EXPRESS ARROWS, T.R.U. Ball and CARTER releases, Ktech stabs, HHA AND CBE SIGHTS, etc.
    Wac'em and Slick Trick heads!!

I don't try to figure out somethings in life That's one of them, because the time I get to spend hunting is priceless the deer meat is just an extra.
    I shot my bow so much I lost my hearing
    Darton DS3800, Talltines Recurve

Keeping track of the cost of your meat is like taking your bosses daughter on a date both will cost you more in the long run so quit thinking about it and just go hunt..
    When in doubt, show up early. Think less. Feel more. Ask once. Give thanks often. Expect the best. Appreciate everything. Never give up. Make it fun. Lead. Invent. Regroup. Wink. Chill. Smile. And live as if your success was inevitable, and so it shall be.
    Good Luck hunting to all..

Good thing the meat is not the reason I hunt. I use the meat or donate it, but hunting for me is about spending time outdoors and the challenge. If I wanted the best meat I would go to a butcher and get beef.

Well, I have a new bow and accessories for this year so thats over a $1000 . It's going to drive my cost up somewhat. I set in the stand many hours so I don't know what price to put on my time.

To me its about an enjoyable hobby. We have hobbies for enjoyment. If you boat, fish, woodwork, golf, and so on, its about enjoyment. If you are in hunting for the low cost of meat in the freezer then you are in it for the wrong reason.

dont even want to think about it
    2011 Hoyt CRX32
    Spott Hogg- Hogg It Sight
    Trophy Taker Drop Away
    >>>---------Let ONE Fly---------->

You know ,I've been married for forty years and I learned early on your not fooling your wife guys. Why be such a wimp, stand your ground ---and end up in divorce court like a man. Worse yet is to get caught in a lie. Not good for a marriage. Get her in the stand too, and you'll have double the fun. If you had to pay the cost per pound just to eat, would we ever hear the crying.Thing is ,it looks like this is not to far off. heh heh.

Orange County, People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    More than a $250. AXT Carbon Vapor quiver. roflmao3[1].gif
    ’11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver
    The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Honestly hunting is expensive, but so are many hobbies. It is not worth worrying about. I look at hunting as getting a prize I can eat at the end. Hunting and fishing are not cheap hobbies, but what real man's hobby is cheap? At least I do get something out of my hobbies, a lot of guys have nice cars, video games, boats, etc and all they get to do is play with them and look at them.

I try my best to buy things at their cheapest and rarely splurge. The only high end items I have are things like Binoculars that a good pair will last longer than multiple cheap pairs.

I tell my wife to buy whatever she wants as long as she would be okay with me spending the same on something similar in interest to me. I treat my hobbies as the same, if I can blow $100 on something I feel like my wife should be able to splurge on something similar.

probably not as much as the fish caught........

We better not go there! Lol
    AR34 Ram 1/2, Carbon Express 350 Maxima Hunters
    Slick Trick 100 Grain
    Shakey Hunter Rest
    Copper John Hunter
    T.R.U. Ball Release

I don't really think about it, I don't hunt for meat. I hunt because I must, its in my blood and I love it. Meat is a side bonus, and although I enjoy eating venison and turkey and upland birds (pheasant....mmmmm) I don't give really care enough about it to total my costs.

I am not concerned at all with trying to place a monetary value on anything hunting,fishing or outdoors. The time spent enjoying what God created and the people he has placed in my life could never calculated. I was just trying to discuss a funny question?
    You can tell a lot about a Man by the way he shakes your hand."
    '14 HOYT FAKTOR 30/ Easton Bloodline/Grim Reaper 100gr./ ViperTrick 100gr.
    2014 Team 43 Backwoods Beatdown

Quote Originally Posted by mtswampfox View Post
    probably not as much as the fish caught........
    I did the math once where we went on a daily trip and only caught one 2lb walleye through the ice. The total came to around $100 a lb! But it was the best darn fish I ever ate!
    2010 #60 Martin Cheetah
    Trophy Taker Drop Away
    Trophy Ridge Outlaw .19 4 pin
    GoldTip Expedition Hunters 5575 w/ 100gr. Slick Trick Mags

An out of state hunt cost me close to 5k after all expenses (including new gear n such that year). Meat yield of 8osaurus was 72lbs boned.

Haven't done the math but u can if u want to lol. It matters zero to me. All I know is I enjoyed every single second and aspect of the entire experience, and every single meal the meat provided me. I live for this stuff!
    2014 Fullstrutter Live Rut Bowhunt...DUAL states this Fall!!! Nov 6th-16th!
    Teaming up with Pittstate23 in Kansas and IndianaPSE in Ohio!!
    Elite Pulse MAX-1, 29"@75#, Limbdriver Pro-V, 7 pin Twilight Hunter, TGB Tail-lights
    Beman ICS Hunter Pro's - 402gr @ 316fps & 91KE, Grim Reaper 2" Razortips!

It's........priceless
    NRA Life Member

$10,000.00 an ounce
    Martin Bengal, trophy ridge sight, easton ST Epic 340's

I think that the cost is priceless. You spend all your time focused on a goal, scouting, sitting, preacticing... Then you achieve it but want to do better in the future yet! Money is just money, you'll make more and the government will take more so enjoy yourself!
    Destroyer 350 LE Custom MBG Ascent Doinker Elite QAD HDX CE Blue Streaks Truball Center X

I always figure about 100.00 per lb. Lol!
    Owner, Double Lung Archery Inc.
    LaPorte City Iowa
    Mathews - Mission- Hoyt -Elite and PSE, Infinito Safaris
    https://www.facebook.com/DoubleLungArcheryInc?ref=hl
    319-342-4550 dave@doublelungarcheryinc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast