Archery Talk Forum banner

Cost per pound of deer meat?

43K views 43 replies 43 participants last post by  Deerhunter 28 
#1 ·
I know it really doesn't matter how much we spend on our stuff because you can't put a price necessarily on this kind of fun. Have you ever totaled up the cost of your equipment (everything hunting related to paint it broadly) versus a per pound average of the deer meat you put in your freezer. I have totaled it up but I never write it down because I don't want my wife to know!

#5 ·
Not going to go there. It will ruin the fun of it. Its like doing the math of owning a imported sports car......parts, service,crappy MPG, insurance. You think about all that and you realize its just not worth it. I am not going there with my hunting habbit.

#6 ·
If my wife knew, I would be crucified...lol! I would say somewhere around $25-$35/lb! But, I totally enjoy what I do....can't put a price on it since our time on earth is way shorter than we can imagine!

#8 ·
Keeping track of the cost of your meat is like taking your bosses daughter on a date both will cost you more in the long run so quit thinking about it and just go hunt..

#9 ·
Good thing the meat is not the reason I hunt. I use the meat or donate it, but hunting for me is about spending time outdoors and the challenge. If I wanted the best meat I would go to a butcher and get beef.

#29 ·
Seen this some time ago and agree completely that the venison I get is the most expensive meat I put on my family's table!!

#11 ·
Well, I have a new bow and accessories for this year so thats over a $1000 . It's going to drive my cost up somewhat. I set in the stand many hours so I don't know what price to put on my time.

To me its about an enjoyable hobby. We have hobbies for enjoyment. If you boat, fish, woodwork, golf, and so on, its about enjoyment. If you are in hunting for the low cost of meat in the freezer then you are in it for the wrong reason.

#13 ·
You know ,I've been married for forty years and I learned early on your not fooling your wife guys. Why be such a wimp, stand your ground ---and end up in divorce court like a man. Worse yet is to get caught in a lie. Not good for a marriage. Get her in the stand too, and you'll have double the fun. If you had to pay the cost per pound just to eat, would we ever hear the crying.Thing is ,it looks like this is not to far off. heh heh.

#15 ·
Honestly hunting is expensive, but so are many hobbies. It is not worth worrying about. I look at hunting as getting a prize I can eat at the end. Hunting and fishing are not cheap hobbies, but what real man's hobby is cheap? At least I do get something out of my hobbies, a lot of guys have nice cars, video games, boats, etc and all they get to do is play with them and look at them.

I try my best to buy things at their cheapest and rarely splurge. The only high end items I have are things like Binoculars that a good pair will last longer than multiple cheap pairs.

I tell my wife to buy whatever she wants as long as she would be okay with me spending the same on something similar in interest to me. I treat my hobbies as the same, if I can blow $100 on something I feel like my wife should be able to splurge on something similar.

#20 ·
I did the math once where we went on a daily trip and only caught one 2lb walleye through the ice. The total came to around $100 a lb! But it was the best darn fish I ever ate!

#18 ·
I don't really think about it, I don't hunt for meat. I hunt because I must, its in my blood and I love it. Meat is a side bonus, and although I enjoy eating venison and turkey and upland birds (pheasant....mmmmm) I don't give really care enough about it to total my costs.

#19 ·
I am not concerned at all with trying to place a monetary value on anything hunting,fishing or outdoors. The time spent enjoying what God created and the people he has placed in my life could never calculated. I was just trying to discuss a funny question?

#32 ·
The Bride and I once worked for a large feedlot in ID; we spent every hour of every day wonderin' just WTH we were doing working there - but the monthly salary was outstanding for a horseback job, compared to the "outside" ranches... until you broke it down to dollars-per-hour.

Always kinda figured that pricing game tagged, by the pound, would be somewhat the same: best left uncomtemplated. :wink:

#21 ·
An out of state hunt cost me close to 5k after all expenses (including new gear n such that year). Meat yield of 8osaurus was 72lbs boned.

Haven't done the math but u can if u want to lol. It matters zero to me. All I know is I enjoyed every single second and aspect of the entire experience, and every single meal the meat provided me. I live for this stuff!

#26 ·
Waaaaaaay more than even kobe beef.....Too many new bows over the years, the latest greatest accessories and whatnot....and a safe full of guns that barely get touched....

Can't put a price on the experience, though.

#27 ·
Not much. Probably $70 for licenses this year, maybe an OH license if I have time to get over there so $150 for that possibly, won't buy anything else but maybe some replacement blades for broadheads. Usually 3-5 deer a year, depending on what the freezer looks like and if I have time to go to OH, or if the neighbors want a deer, etc. Most of my stuff I've had for years. I went through the buying the lates and greatest craze about 20 years ago. Luckily for me that was still a time when threads are started about "Remember how cheap it was back when?"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.