Thread: replacing compound limbs

Question replacing compound limbs

Hello ...
    I have Q about replacing the compound limbs .. I have Hoyt Carbon Element 2012 70-80#, I want to replace the limbs with 60-70#, but the problem is I live in Kuwait and there is no any Archery shops here, so I have to do it by myself, I have a bow press, but I don't know how to replace the limbs and take off the bow parts, so there is anyone could help me with any video clips or pictures that shows how to replace it, or help me by anyway ?

Note that I did't order the limbs yet, first I want to make sure that I can replace it or not ?

Thanks

Super super simple if you have a press. Take off the strings and cables and Fully relax the limbs and remove the bow from your press. You will see a 2 sided hex bolt by your rockers. Loosen this bolt and the limbs slide right out. Take the E clips off one side of the axles and slide the axles, cams and shims out. Take note of the shim position! Put it back together in reverse of this and start your tuning. Done!
    AT Sponsor www.lum-tec.com Coupon code: Archerytalk111
    Eliminate the fixed roller guard on Carbon Matrix and Carbon Spyder. Click HERE. Aluminum Hoyts click HERE
    NEW: TPU Speed nock system. Available HERE. *** Brownell bowstring products distributor *** Email wis913@yahoo.com for a full price list.

This is the screw you want to loosen to get the limbs to slide out:

Eliminate the fixed roller guard on Carbon Matrix and Carbon Spyder. Click HERE. Aluminum Hoyts click HERE
    NEW: TPU Speed nock system. Available HERE. *** Brownell bowstring products distributor *** Email wis913@yahoo.com for a full price list.

I take pics of EVERYTHING before disassembly.
    Then I use the blue painters masking tape and make notes and attach to string and cables as a reminder of how they go. Don't forget the cable guard routing!
    PLEASE NOTE THAT DUE TO THE RISING COST IN AMMO PRICES I WILL NO LONGER BE FIRING A WARNING SHOT.

Quote Originally Posted by lc12 View Post
    i take pics of everything before disassembly.
    Then i use the blue painters masking tape and make notes and attach to string and cables as a reminder of how they go. Don't forget the cable guard routing!
    yes!!!!!!!!!!!
    I shoot bows. All kinds of bows.

My opinions are MY OPINIONS. Take them for what they are worth.

Thanks a lot ...
    For this Screw (in the picture), how I remove it ?

Do you know any videos clip or pictures for all the steps? I did a search on Youtube and didn't find anything .

Attachment 1414791
    Attachment 1414793

Use a rachet strap..

That's the axle in those pics. That's an "E-clip" on the axle end holding the axle in place. It just snaps into a groove in the axle. To remove it just put a tiny screwdriver in there are twist, it should pop off. Sometimes they FLY when they come off so be prepared.
    Sent via my 1918 Bell hand crank phone

Quote Originally Posted by Buster of Xs View Post
    That's the axle in those pics. That's an "E-clip" on the axle end holding the axle in place. It just snaps into a groove in the axle. To remove it just put a tiny screwdriver in there are twist, it should pop off. Sometimes they FLY when they come off so be prepared.
    Thank you ..

After replacing the new limbs , will I need and special equipment to setup ?

Quote Originally Posted by Threestars View Post
    Thank you ..

After replacing the new limbs , will I need and special equipment to setup ?
    Not really. You'll want to check how well the bow is tuned afterward, but it really shouldn't change much at all IF you don't twist or untwist the string and cales while they're off.

Just hang a sheet of paper and shoot through it to see what your arrow flight looks like afterward.

So after setup I will just need Paper tuning ? There is any more tuning should be applied ?

So after setup I will just need Paper tuning ? There is any more tuning should be applied ?
    Not really. If you get clean holes at several distances between 3' and 30' then your arrows are flying properly. It should be good after that. If you hunt then you might want to check broadheads, but they should be hitting with fieldpoints after a thorough paper tune.

An easy way to keep timing on the cams is to just pull the axles after it is pressed. Then you can pull the cams, string and cables off all in one and not loose the timing you worked so hard to get. You should still double check it but I have not had one loose timing doing it this way. Then you just fully relax the limbs in the press once that is done just take your limb bolts out and swap the limbs, then reverse the order.
    09' NBA Genetix Black '12 NBA Eclipse Black riser Optifade Forest limbs '13 NBA Genetix Black '15 NBA Black Genetix 29" 60lbs
    newbreedarchery.com

Thanks a lot for the help .. I still a little afraid that may I damage it, but I will venture.
    Thanks a lot for all the helps

Still if anyone have or know any videos or pictures explain how to do it, I will be very thankful if he share it.

Thanks a lot for the help .. I still a little afraid that may I damage it, but I will venture.
    Thanks a lot for all the helps

Still if anyone have or know any videos or pictures explain how to do it, I will be very thankful if he share it.
    Just go for it! Its WAY more simple than it would seem. If you run into any trouble we are here to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray knight View Post
    Just go for it! Its WAY more simple than it would seem. If you run into any trouble we are here to help you.
    Thanks a lot
    Thats what I count on, Help from good people in Archery Talks forum

The best thing that make me love this sport, that nice archers, most of archers are very kindly and helpful making you feel a strong bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster of Xs View Post
    Hi,
    Put a clear plastic bag over the end of the limb and remove the clip inside the bag. You can see what you are doing and the bag will catch the clip if it does fly.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philhoney View Post
    Hi,
    Put a clear plastic bag over the end of the limb and remove the clip inside the bag. You can see what you are doing and the bag will catch the clip if it does fly.
    Phil
    Thats a good idea! I use pliers and slowly push it off. Never had one fly! But not a bad plan to use the bag. Or even a piece of tape on the other side.

I've put the limb down into a box before.