Thread: New to hunting want to start using a recurve bow

New to hunting want to start using a recurve bow

Hi guys im 17 years old and I literally have never hunted ever before but i want to start this fall and i defiantelly know i want a recurve Im looking to know what the best bow for a beginner hunter is for a decent price like 100-200 range also beginner accesories and for the bow and just general hunting tips for beginners anything is good

Might not be ready for fall. Takes awhile to get your form down, but hey you might be a fast learner. maddog makes recurves around that price range and I hear nothing but good from his stuff. Simack sage is also in your range and suppose to be a great beginer bow. I would get the sage with a set of 35 or 40# limbs to learn on and get anoher set thats 45#-50# (depending on your draw length) for hunting.
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow, bear kodiak
    paradigm archery field staff

Seems like a good brand also how accurate should I be before im ready to hunt just a rough estimate

Seems like a good brand also how accurate should I be before im ready to hunt just a rough estimate
    If whitetail is your objective do you know the average size of the "kill zone," where it is located, and where the lungs are located....for starters? You ever shot any type of bow?

Bear in mind that you are going to have to learn to hunt and learn to shoot. Shooting a trad bow well takes a lot of skill. Getting close enough to have a good shot with a traditional bow takes a lot of skill. You cannot hunt ethically without building the necessary competencies. It would help for you to find someone that can mentor you. I have seen too many beginners come into shops and say they want to be a traditional bow hunter. You cannot short cut the process. You have to invest the time so that you can do it right.
    Barebow Recurve

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOGNR View Post
    until you can consistantly put that arrow in the kill zone at the max range you plan on hunting at. Thats how I judge myself. Almost 2 years of constantly shooting and I now feel ready to take mine to the woods with a max range of 20 yds, planed on taking it out last season but just didnt feel 100% confident. Also if you are shooting from a stand practice it alot, IMO its feels alot different from ground to stand with a trad bow. Like I said depending on how fast you pic it up you might be ready by fall.
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow, bear kodiak
    paradigm archery field staff

As was said, find someone to help you learn how to hunt, preferably someone who is a bowhunter (even a fellow using a compound bow can help you learn how to find game trails and sign, set a stand or blind, and understand animal movement and reactions).

As for shooting, I'll second the Sage. Start with something around 30-35#, and for arrows full length 500 spine carbons with a 125 or 100 gr tip- feathers, not plastic vanes. This might not be legal for big game in your area, but I'm not sure you're really ready to hunt big game yet, but when you are a new set of limbs in a heavier weight are fairly cheap. Small game, however, is another story . I would highly recommend learning to actually HUNT on small game. Squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, and whatever is legal around you to hunt. Learn to get close and shoot at the right spot, then how to gather, clean, and cook it. If you kill it, eat it.

As for the shooting part, there are a number of books and videos available to point you in the right direction. Masters of the Barebow, especially volume 3, as well as Rick Welch's Accuracy Factory, are very good for covering the basics and getting you on target. Masters also covers tuning, which you will need to do if you want to go hunting for deer, a broadhead won't fly straight. As for how far to shoot, keep it close. If you can put every arrow where you want to at 10 yards, then just keep your shots to ten yards.

But start on those rabbits and squirrels first, lots to learn and they're great practice- and fun!

I have looked into small game hunting it seems fun and good practice and and also I have never shot before ive messed around with a couple of bows but i have yet to consistetly shoot one with others or anything by myself

Then the Sage in a light draw weight is a great start. For a good reference for anything archery, "Shooting the Stickbow" is a good choice. As close to an archery text book as you'll find! The videos are also a great bet, and between them and practice you'll be headed on the right track.

Go pester those groundhogs, think about deer maybe next year.

Fred Bear said that if you can put 3 arrows in a pie plate at 15 yards, you can kill a whitetail deer. Personally I don't think you have enough time for that to be a sure bet by this fall especially when you take into account an extreme adrenaline rush and maybe some buck fever. If you want to hunt this fall, get your bow asap and get shooting. Shooting is just one part of it though. As Hank D Thoreau said earlier, learning to hunt is just as important. Personally I don't have time to shoot enough with my traditional gear to feel comfortable about hunting with it and I started on a recurve 20 years ago. It take a lot of time and a lot of practice. I just hope as a 17 year old you can find the time to do it right.
    Bear Anarchy HC
    Bear Anarchy
    60th Anniversary Bear Kodiak Magnum 40#