Thread: Looking for A Zone 5 Iowa Bow hunting lease

Looking for A Zone 5 Iowa Bow hunting lease

Hey guys,

My dad and I are from NC and got drawn for zone 5 in Iowa and are looking for a small lease for just a couple weeks. We have a friend that lives in Wayne county that we are staying with and is asking around some of the locals, thought I'd try to help him and ourselves out by posting here.

Thanks
    Van

828-302-5443
    Vcpiii@hotmail.com

Please dont take this the wrong way because I really hope you find something to hunt but you went about this all wrong. You should find the place to hunt first and then apply for tags. It really makes things much easier. You have had at least 2 years to find something and now you may end up with only public land, which can be really good, but......

I see this all of the time on AT and it amazes me that people apply for and get tags and have no plan in mind as to where to hunt??? I just cant fathom it.

Good luck and I hope yall kill a giant.

PM sent Van.
    Owner, Double Lung Archery Inc.
    LaPorte City Iowa
    Mathews - Mission- Hoyt -Elite and PSE, Infinito Safaris
    https://www.facebook.com/DoubleLungArcheryInc?ref=hl
    319-342-4550 dave@doublelungarcheryinc.com

there is alot of public to hunt
    BnB shooting supplies shooting staff
    easton arrows shooting staff
    pse fanatic

not to hard find leases if your willing to pay. and iowa has a ton of public but im there every year shed hunting so its kinda like scouting. and guess what i probally wont look for a lease untill i draw next year either. and thats what i did 3 yrs ago and killed a 150 so really not to hard to find land to lease. and if all else fails theres some real good public in places.
    2013 carbon element G3 #71 29"
    easton fmj 525 gr , rage chisel tip 125
    261 fps- momentum-.607 KE-79.33

I guess it takes all kinds and Im the kind that likes to have a plan but I'll put my success up against anyones. Sure you can always luck into a good piece of ground occasionally or get lucky and kill a 150" every now and then but I can assure you that having a plan(a place to hunt is HUGE when it comes to killing top end bucks consistently) is top priority for me. Just the way I do it. I can also look at the most successful hunters I know and there are similarities between all of us and having a piece of ground that holds top end deer is #1 on the list for all of us. If you will be happy with a 140 or less then ANY place in Iowa will have that. As a matter of fact I would just hunt public. The public there can and does produce MUCH bigger every year.

Quote Originally Posted by wipy View Post
    not to hard find leases if your willing to pay. and iowa has a ton of public but im there every year shed hunting so its kinda like scouting. and guess what i probally wont look for a lease untill i draw next year either. and thats what i did 3 yrs ago and killed a 150 so really not to hard to find land to lease. and if all else fails theres some real good public in places.
    Lots of things have changed in the last 3 years, not only in the hunting community, but the world as a whole. Just because you did something back then doesnt mean you will be able to again. Its been my expierence that a lot places worth having are taken already no matter how much money you are willing to spend, but then again my thought of what is worth having is probably MUCH different from most others out there.