Thread: ways to make a crossbow quieter?

ways to make a crossbow quieter?

Just like the title says, my parker bushwacker is kind of loud, however it is not the fastest at 285 fps. What are some ways i could quiet it down without losing speed? I have heard that limb savers slow the speed down by 15 fps and that string silencers slow it down by 10 fps. What about string stoppers, do they work? Im new to this guys,please bear with me. Thanks

Nothing you add to string or limbs will quiet a crossbow. String stoppers take some vibration out and protect the bow from dryfire (somewhat) they don't quiet the bow much either. Just the nature of the beast. And they say we have an edge on verts....NOT!
    Why do I hunt? Simple, it's BASIC.
    Why do you breathe?!

Excalibur, Mission, single shot rifles and handguns

Quote Originally Posted by moose93 View Post
    Just like the title says, my parker bushwacker is kind of loud, however it is not the fastest at 285 fps. What are some ways i could quiet it down without losing speed? I have heard that limb savers slow the speed down by 15 fps and that string silencers slow it down by 10 fps. What about string stoppers, do they work? Im new to this guys,please bear with me. Thanks
    Welcome to the forum Moose! Start with a limbsaver on your arrow retainer spring, try a limbsaver rubber butt strip, and the limbsaver buttons wont cost you speed if you mount them close to the riser. You have to make sure your limbs are perfectly clean before you apply them. My opinion on string stoppers is that the do work to a certain extent if the string is a credit cards thickness away from the bumpers. I've found that they stop the string vibrations dead after the the arrow is launched. I don't know how well they will help in a dryfire as you have a compound.
    Happy shootin,
    Hank
    2010 Equinox with S-5, and Smokepole string
    Firebolts with pink tigerstripe Blazers
    145 gr. Saunders Blunts
    150 gr. Boltcutters
    Life tastes sweet, and the older I get, the sweeter it tastes.

No hope of getting vert bow quite. Keep your shots inside 30yds at that speed and you should be fine. If you had a Excalibur we could tame it some what. The best bang for your buck would be string stoppers.

Parallel limbs and riser engineering.

I made a video yesterday shooting my parker tomahawk, 20 yards, putting the camera at the target, when i shot, there was a faint sound from the bow, then a split second later the bolt hit. I know we as shooters hear the bow go off, but with the speed of the bolts, i am not going to worry about spending money adding items to the bow, that won't help. The shot happens at 50 seconds into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AQr2...1&feature=plcp
    Last edited by striker34; July 24th, 2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: add video

Look at the bright side, at least it doesn't go KABOOM!

It's normal for crossbow noise to bother newcomers to crossbows. After you've been around crossbows awhile you won't notice it at all and crossbow noise will NOT affect your hunting one iota.

Serious!!!

for me I will buy a kit from Sims or Bowjax and put them on my crossbows. I have always got a small amount of noise reduction and vibration reduction out of them with less the 3fps loss. I think the vibration reduction has to be good for the bow, after that I don't sweat it.
    Educate yourself and test hang in your safety harness, it may save your life one day.

I have the same bow as you. I put string stoppers on mine. I wouldn't say that it made it more quiet, but it did CHANGE the sound. Its not as much of a crack now.

I'll have to disagree about the sound not making any difference hunting though. This was proven to me, WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT this past season on opening evening.

ear plugs.........

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack2 View Post
    Nothing you add to string or limbs will quiet a crossbow. String stoppers take some vibration out and protect the bow from dryfire (somewhat) they don't quiet the bow much either. Just the nature of the beast. And they say we have an edge on verts....NOT!
    verts? What's a vert?

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
    verts? What's a vert?
    vertical compound bow.....as opposed to horizontal bow like crossbow. Sorry, I thought you knew.
    Why do I hunt? Simple, it's BASIC.
    Why do you breathe?!

Excalibur, Mission, single shot rifles and handguns

Got it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gfulton View Post
    ear plugs.........
    yep,,,post of the day...