Archery Talk Forum banner

2012 IBO World Championship video coverage

4K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  dragonheart 
#1 ·
#3 ·
nice video - I wish I could have been there, but it was impossible this year. Cloverdale sounds great - it is about 300 miles closer for me

#10 ·
Even in an event such as this - with the top shooters in the world attending - still only the top few shooters manage to average a vital hit on each target - we have a long way to go guys - lets keep working at it and raising the bar in the sport.

#15 ·
I wonder why Rick Welch shot in the RU - I find it hard to believe that he would be shooting a bow that does not qualify for the regular Recurve division - maybe he wanted to shoot against the guys with all the goodies on their bows and see how he would do - i dunno

#17 ·
Apparently Rick Welch wrote the wrong class down on his card - years ago Recurve Unaided was the only class for recurves

Today - Recurve Unaided allows rests, stabalizers, I think clickers as well - Welch uses none of this

#19 ·
What I find interesting is that the general consensus believe shooting a LB is somehow a disadvantage..while compared to the results of REC class.. the top scores are higher in LB and more archers shot a 500+ who shot in LB. The 1/8 in out and wood arrows should not be seen as a handicap any longer.... I know this distances shot with LB and REC are different...but what is it like 5 yards? Data like that tells a neat story. A simple observation and nothing more. :)

#21 ·
Unless you shoot the two different classes from the two different stakes, you don't really have a good judgment. Sometimes they are way closer (10 yards). Sometimes they are the same. It is just a simple observation at best. You don't notice the handicap of the equipment until they all shoot from the same stakes. Look at the ML and REC class for example. Both classes had good quality shooters and shot from the orange stakes.

#32 ·
Sharp, I'd say any of the top 10 in either of those groups could win on a good day. Give them a couple weeks with any style and they would be right up there at the top again. Depends on who cuts a line or two who gets the buckle. Fun to have that kind of competition and that many competitors - drives the entire level of competition up.
I think you are correct. If you take any of the top shooters and tell them they have a month to learn shooting another style or type of bow my guess is they would be right back at the top again. Shooters like Rick, Jimmy, Scott and others in that class are such good consistent shooters that they could basically shoot any style and do well. I guarantee you if someone made a bet with Sharp or Ricky that they would pay em 10k if they could stringwalk and shoot the same scores they do now with a month or two of practice I have no doubt they could do it. Same with the the other guys switching to some other way of shooting. These guys are at the top because of their mental discipline, solid form, and desire to shoot well and compete. I know I wouldn't make that bet with any of those guys cause I 'd be a lot lighter in the wallet.

#24 ·
ok - that would explain the higher lb scores - usually the LB scores are slightly lower than the recurve - but the modern longbow is about the same - i guess I don't remember what it was last year - I thought there was only one stake - but I am probably wrong

#26 ·
This was taken from the general 2012 rules:

Targets shall be set at unmarked distances. The approximate* maximum distance for each stake shall be as follows:
a. Blue Stake: 50 yards (45.72 meters)
b. Green Stake: 45 yards (41.15 meters)
c. Red Stake: 40 yards (36.70 meters)
d. Yellow Stake: 35 yards (32 meters)
e. Orange Stake: 30 yards (27.43 meters)
f. White Stake: 25 yards (22.86 meters)

That's why I said the difference in 5 yards doesn't change a lot. I think Jimmy could answer it better..for obvious reasons. The TRAD only Worlds rules don't specify so I assume they used this as a guide. Here is what I found in Trad World Rules:

Targets shall be set at unmarked distances. Classes will shoot the following stakes:
a. Red Stake: Cub (Used at the IBO Traditional World Championship only)

b. White Stake: Youth, Juniors, All Female Classes, LB and PRM

c. Orange Stake: MLB, REC, RU, HHW, SR

#27 ·
Great video and pics. Thanks for shareing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.