Thread: Nock Broke While Shooting

Nock Broke While Shooting

So I was just flinging a few arrows in my basement before packing up the bow for a 3D shoot tomorrow when I let one fly and hear a "CRACK". The arrow hits wide left and low of my aiming point and I hear a piece of something dancing across the basement floor. I immediately think something happened with the bow but it checks out fine. Limbs are good and the cams show no evidence of having bent. I look at the arrow in the target and see the nock is broken and I the found the missing piece. I shot a few more arrows and the bow seems fine.

I have been shooting these same arrows over and over and over. I've never had this happen before but with the amount of stress put on these arrows, I can see how it would happen. Could have just been a weak nock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

they wear out after awhile imo. i change out nocks after a lot of shots. i usually shoot the same 2 or 3 arrows time and time again.
    Tall Tine Bowstrings : www glaciallakesarchery com
    Carbon Tech Arrows, Hot Shot Releases, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, S4 Gear
    Elite Archery Dealer
    Ninja Engery 35 Hunting & Ninja Tour Field/3D

Hard impact will also crack them. you just don't always see it until you shoot.
    Yes, I'm a Dinosaur....
    Heavy draw weight, and fixed blade broadheads. No one ever complains about over penetration.

Yup. Happened to me. The shot didn't feel right at all and a piece of nock hit my forearm so hard I closed my eyes not wanting to open them for fear of seeing a broken arrow shaft sticking in it!!

Now I check nocks often and switched to tougher pin nocks.
    2010 PSE Bowmadness XS 70# 30 inch Draw
    Gold Tip 75/95 28.5" long tipped with 100 grain Magnus Snuffer SS
    400 grains finished launched at 277 feet per second

That's the reason why I do not like to use solid color nocks for target shooting. I do use them on my hunting arrows because of their better visibilty [white] nocks.

This has been posted before and lots of the newbee's has said they never replace their nocks. But I cannot count the number of times that I've found crackes in the transparant nocks and tossed them.

Nocks are cheap compared to a blown up bow.

Skeet.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

I just happened again. Two days in a row. I've been shooting for 7 years and never had it happen before. This time I was shooting in my back yard and found my arrow buried in the grass to the left of my target. That does it. I'm replacing every knock on all my arrows now before I shoot again.