Thread: idaho mule deer

idaho mule deer

I want to do a archery mule deer hunt this year in idaho wondering if any one had any tips on where you can find good numbers of decent deer not looking for monsters just a good amount of good deer. i would really appreciate any info very much.

If you're looking for the best numbers I would give some serious looking towards the southern units that border Utah and Nevada. Prime Mulie habitat down there. that's where I will be focusing next year.
    Many thanks to my family and friends through the years who helped me become who I am today.

Another option to think about is whether you can down-grade weapon choice per season. Such as; using archery equipment during a muzzle loader hunt. I know some states let you down grade but not upgrade a weapon choice.
    I mentioned in another thread regarding the south east corner of ID during a late season at Thanksgiving time.
    I got in on a hunt there where we had 2hrs. scouting time one evening, then a day and a half by schedule to hunt. We found the deer hanging at a particular elevation while scouting, and deer moving most of the day during the hunt. In that time, I saw 3 bucks in excess of 30" (width) and dealt with 2 of them.
    For the time spent hunting per trophies seen and dealt with, I rate that experience right up there with the good stuff.
    We saw only 2 other hunters (together) during the hunt. They were happy with any buck, and any bucks were very plentiful.
    It was tricky to stalk withing 200yrds of a good buck in the snow but they follow cut trails in the snow (path of least resistance) so you could cut a trail past an ambush point and do very well there.
    I know there are many points on our side of the globe where one can find trophy mulies to hunt and the price to do so can vary greatly from allot to a fortune depending on your financial status in the world.
    We were dealing with bucks coming down out of UT where we hunted.
    In my opinion, this hunt was much easier to access than the vast majority of the quality trophy mule deer hunts that I've heard of.
    Rod
    ---------------------------------
    If we weren't meant to eat them, they wouldn't be made out of meat.

The older I get, The better I was.

Bump. I too am very interested in finding out more info.

thanks for the info i am looking to do a early hunt while there in velvet.

During a muzzleoader only hunt you cannot downgrade, however during a general weapon hunt you can use any legal weapon in Idaho. The southern units for Muleys, those south of the snake river, and controlled hunt with 2 point or less being for the general archery season. Unit 39 is the most popular unit for mule deer but those units west of 39 have some decent size bucks as well. Check the Idaho Fish and Game site for harvest reports. Unit 39 also has a late archery season for mule deer that starts 2nd week in November as well.
    '10 Darton 3800 Pro 28.5" 65#
    QAD Ultra Rest HD drop away rest, Spot Hogg Hogg-It 7 pin, Trinity Archery T3 8" Stabilizer, Red Tru Peep 3/16" peep, Toxic broadheads, Bloodsport HT-1 350 arrows, TRU Ball Absolute 360 release
    Idaho Certified 4H Archery Instructor

Yep, just be careful and which ever unit your in look for restrictions, there are a few with 2 point only,
    Matt
    Mathews Heli-M - PronghornFreak.com
    Easton lost camo FMJ Onestringer wraps
    Trophy ridge drop away
    Montana black gold Acsent slider
    Scott Stingray release Death Harp Bowstrings

Quote Originally Posted by Natedawg4081 View Post
    During a muzzleoader only hunt you cannot downgrade, however during a general weapon hunt you can use any legal weapon in Idaho. The southern units for Muleys, those south of the snake river, and controlled hunt with 2 point or less being for the general archery season. Unit 39 is the most popular unit for mule deer but those units west of 39 have some decent size bucks as well. Check the Idaho Fish and Game site for harvest reports. Unit 39 also has a late archery season for mule deer that starts 2nd week in November as well.
    Can you explain about the points? Do you need to have points to be drawn for these areas?
    Hoyt Spyder 30

They are point restrictions on the antlers. we do not have points for drawings yet. There are quite a few OTC tags available for many areas so you could get away with just getting a general tag and have very good odds. I would look out side of Idaho Falls and just north of Soda basically the Diamond Creek elk Zone and the Tex Creek elk zone will provide some good opportunities at decent deer.

As far as weapons go.

Archery starts Aug 31 in most areas and ends last day of Sept. Any weapon season usually starts around Oct 5 to Oct 10 and if you are lucky is open a full week. Any weapon season implies that any weapon that is legal to harvest big game with in the state of Idaho is legal to use.

Short range areas and hunts require a hand gun,shot gun, muzzle loader, or Archery gear.

An only season like muzzle loader only or archery only require that you use the specified weapon.

The south east region office of the fish and game has some nice officers there. Give them a call and see what they have to say. Ask if they have a die hard mule deer hunter that you can talk to. They are usually pretty good at giving solid advice.
    09 MATHEWS HYPERLIGHT
    I don't only train gun dogs, but family friends as well.
    MY PROSHOP IS WHITE TIP ARCHERY (Pocatello Id)

Quote Originally Posted by SierraMtns View Post
    Can you explain about the points? Do you need to have points to be drawn for these areas?
    Idaho does not have a point system... He's referring to antler "points"

Whoops, a little late haha