a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target Recommendations?

Target Recommendations?

I need a new target. I've got one of the Morrell "Youth" foam targets, but it's definitely at the end of its life. And it was never really sturdy enough for a bow over 30# anyway.

I shoot field points. Poundage is in the sub-45 range. I don't want a 3D target, but something in the "foam block" sort of category, and would prefer something I can put a NASP style target on. I'd prefer something larger than 20x20 simply b/c my 7 year old son is going to be shooting at it too.

Budget is sub $200.

thanks,
    wade

Hay bales are pretty cheap and pretty effective (non compound). I've been shooting at the same ones for over a month have yet to lose an arrow.
    Hoyt GPX, Spigarelli BB riser, Bernardini Cobra
    Border Hex 7, Hex6 BB2 & CXB.
    Board bows and selfbows galore

Alot of guys don't like the block targets ( in my compound days I HATED them) but for the recurve, it works great. When it starts getting shot up buy a $5 can of expandable foam and fill in the hole

Just don't use broadheads

American Whitetail targets rock:
    http://www.archerytargets.com/naspmat.aspx

Little expensive but you make it back in the long term.

-Grant

Used to sware by the "block" but their prices went up and I think the Morrell Bone Collector type bags with replacible insides are just as good and cheaper in the end....

I use straw bales with a layer (or two) of carpet on the backside for shooting paper target faces.

My wannabe Field/3D range is burlap sacks stuffed with plastic grocery bags hung/scattered throughout the forest behind my house.

I've seen some DIY compressed cardboard (cardboard stack sandwiched between two boards) targets that look like they could hang a paper target face nicely, and would be much less messy than straw. I'll probably give it a try one of these days.

Small straw or hay bales work, especially if you rig up a press for them and squeeze them tight. I always have a couple large round bales (1100 lbs.)in strategic places to shoot at but they aren't practical if you don't have a tractor.

I really like layered foam targets when they are new. Problem is they don't last long and leave a mess as they start to deteriorate.

I have a "Black Block"...works fine, lasts about as well as a layered foam target. I think it might be a layered target on the inside. Also makes a mess. I bought this target in June and it has about half it's life left.

I have a Rinehart 18-1 target that has held up great. The downside is it's harder to pull arrows from and definitely is not big enough to put a paper target face on. They make a cube shaped target of the same material, which might be the next target I buy. The cube style would hold a paper target, especially with a cardboard backing.

I have a Spider Web for my indoor (8 yards) target. It has held up well, but if the outside diameter of your points is bigger than the shaft of your arrows (not uncommon with carbons), pulling arrows is a pain. Good target though.

Probably the best all around target I've had is the Morrell Range Bag I have in the shed. This is a big, heavy, target that lasts a long time. You need to make some kind of frame or support for it. If I use a paper target I always use a cardboard backing with it since the Morrell target is not very flat, especially after a few thousand shots.

I need to quit buying the "consumer" type targets, they just don't hold up well. I will probably go with something like the American Whitetail competition mat with a replaceable core. I really think it would be cheaper in the long run than the relatively cheap target I usually use.

For broadheads, I have found nothing better than the Rinehart.

I have a YellowJacket that I like because of it's portability but this bale press is my go-to target setup for long distance, blind bale, and everything in between. I cut a heavy-duty truckbed mat in half and hung it on the back for my son's compound but my longbow and recurve shots are fine just by tightening the bales.
    pics from sd 012.jpg
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight....your tactics suck!"

For the price, those Morrell NASP targets are tough to beat. Got one for $35 at Dicks. It doesn't entirely stop everything at 45# and 20yds, but the bale of straw behind it takes care of that.

My daughter and I have been shooting at the same one a few hours a week for a couple months, and it's starting to show some wear, but I might be able to reface or restuff it. Or not. For $35 for a target that size, even if you buy a couple a year you're probably in pretty decent shape.

I won one of these: http://www.lancasterarchery.com/spyd...le-target.html

This is by far the longest lasting target and easiest to pull arrows out of that I have ever used - I shoot nearly every day and I have been shooting into this for almost 3 years and it is still holding up well - longer than any other target I have used.

That looks interesting Sharp. It would be cool if they made those with a self-healing NFAA target face.

Hay bales with a rubbber horse mat behind the bales will stop all arrows. Tractor supply has them on sale for 20.00 3x4 ft perfect for 3 bales an a rachet strap or two works good for keeping bales tight. about 40.00 total

Quote Originally Posted by BaleHunter View Post
    For the price, those Morrell NASP targets are tough to beat. Got one for $35 at Dicks. It doesn't entirely stop everything at 45# and 20yds, but the bale of straw behind it takes care of that.

My daughter and I have been shooting at the same one a few hours a week for a couple months, and it's starting to show some wear, but I might be able to reface or restuff it. Or not. For $35 for a target that size, even if you buy a couple a year you're probably in pretty decent shape.
    Be sure to know that Morrell makes two different NASP targets that look a lot alike but don't perform the same.

The $35 one is labeled something like "Consumer use only".
    The other one, marketed to the schools, costs more like $200 but will last a LOONNNGGG time, and can be re-covered and re-stuffed when it starts to get too worn.

Rhinehart

Rinehart 18-1, or anything from Rinehart for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb-D. View Post
    That looks interesting Sharp. It would be cool if they made those with a self-healing NFAA target face.
    Yes please, with the FITA 18m face on the other side and replaceable centers.

-Grant

Quote Originally Posted by JParanee View Post
    Rhinehart
    Wow, the Reinhart NASP target looks really, really nice. That might have to be what I go with.

I appreciate the "ease" and "economy" of a few bales of hay, and although I live on a couple acres, my wife's not too hip about the idea of a stack of hay in our back (or front) yard. Plus, I like the idea of "putting things away" when I'm done with them, and it's hard to do that with a couple bales of hay.

Quote Originally Posted by wa-prez View Post
    Be sure to know that Morrell makes two different NASP targets that look a lot alike but don't perform the same.

The $35 one is labeled something like "Consumer use only".
    The other one, marketed to the schools, costs more like $200 but will last a LOONNNGGG time, and can be re-covered and re-stuffed when it starts to get too worn.
    I had no idea! The $35 "youth/consumer use only" one is the one I've got. Just chalk it up to another instance of being steered in the wrong direction by Bass Pro.....

I have one of these Rhineharts:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Rineh...h-All+Products

And before I got my spyder target - I shot pretty regularily into the rinehart - and in a years time I replaced the insert twice - the spyder target lasts MUCH longer. Rinehart makes the best 3D targets out there - but no foam will last as long as that spyder target - whatever they did to make that thing - they did it right - that is by far the best target I have ever shot into. But - if you want 3d or some sort of portable outdoor target - Rhinehart can't be beat.

"The Blob" targets are relatively inexpensive and long lasting.
    http://blobtargets.com

logan - I saw these at the Coon Rapids shoot this year the guy was selling them for $20.00 or $40.00 depending on the size - I was surprised by how light they were and they did seem to work well. You can get them much less expensive if you buy them at a shoot from a vendor - the shipping is what kills ya with them.

for non broad head build a life time target for broad heads a sand box never needs replacement or get a blob(I have one)

Quote Originally Posted by Long Rifle View Post
    I have a YellowJacket that I like because of it's portability but this bale press is my go-to target setup for long distance, blind bale, and everything in between. I cut a heavy-duty truckbed mat in half and hung it on the back for my son's compound but my longbow and recurve shots are fine just by tightening the bales.
    pics from sd 012.jpg
    that looks like a really good set up! could you post another pic with an explanation of how the "tightening the bales" part works???

Sure Tacoma, be glad to. Depending on the size of the bale you can use 2-3-4 bales. The 2x10 on top is stationary and secured to the top of the uprights. If you look closely at the 2x10 that the bales sit on you'll see that it's cut out 4x4 to slide up and down the uprights. There's a section of 1/2" All-Thread rod on either side of the bales with a washer and nut on top and bottom. You can adjust to decrease the amount of penetration by simply tightening the All-Thread from either the top or bottom nuts equally on both sides.

If I were building another one(this one's pushing 4 years old) I think I'd make both top and bottom boards 4x4 treated lumber and make a track with 2x4s on the bale side of the uprights for the bottom 4x4 to slide in. I think it would make for tighter compression and longer bale life. The next one will be fully enclosed with hinged doors on the front to keep everything dry. The bales should pretty much last indefinitely then. Hope this helps but if you have any other questions just let me know.
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight....your tactics suck!"

Morrels outdoor range target! I bought one in 2004 for compounds (had to give them up because I can't see through a peep sight any more.). I'm on the third replacement cover and still no shoot throughs. The center is a little softer than when it was new, but overall it is in good shape. I think I paid $89 for it, that amounts to about $11 a year, not counting the covers. When ever this one does fail, I'll buy another one!!! (as always......your mileage may vary )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast