Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrible Smell!

Terrible Smell!

I have a piece of property that a farmer lets me hunt in Central Michigan. I went out to check my trail camera today and noticed the land owner (a dairy farmer) who borders his property has been dumping his dead cows in my property owners woods. The farmer dumping the cows doesn't own any wooded areas. I have also met this guy and he seems very shady. The smell is terrible and there seems to be a lot of them just piled up. I can smell it from about 100 yards away. Im gonna be real mad if Im sitting in my tree stand and I can smell those dang cows. I was gagging all the way back to my car!

My questions are..

Is this a health risk for the deer population?

I'm also wondering if its my place or not to ask the guy dumping the cows if he is allowed to be doing this?

If its not on his property, then no he is not allowed to be dumping at all. There may be certain rules or regulations on dumping livestock but I live in the city and do not know them. But for certain if its not on his land I would get a hold of authorities or at least tell the guy who owns the property you hunt on.

check with the county.

I would inform the land owner who you hunt on, and let him take care of it. It is definitely up to you to make him aware of this, what he does after that, that's all him.

yes, you have to inform your landowner! landowners really appreciate it when someone is looking after their property.
    2011 Bowtech Assassin black-ops 30/73 lbs
    6" stokerized hunter black and red
    Limbdriver arrow rest

That certainly is a health risk, not only for the deer but for you as well...
    I don't know, don't really care. Let there be songs to fill the air.

It is no health risk, I live on a dairy farm and we compost cows right along woods where I hunt. It will not affect the deer. Now on the other hand if its not his property where hes putting them then ya something should be done.
    Mathews Solocam Z7 Xtreme, Monster 7.0, Conquest Triumph, MR6, Creed, 2 MR5'S, Drenalin, Gold Tip, B-Stinger, Axion, Truball
    Hough's Archery-Pro Staff
    Bohning Staff Shooter
    Truball Staff Shooter

talk with landowner, make sure he knows whats happening and let him take care of it
    '13 Insanity CPXL .....3D/target

'13 Darton DS-3800.....hunting

give it a few weeks, the yotes will take care of that smell... ever see how deer react to coyotes?

Sure it can be a health risk, who knows what they are dying from. Landowner needs to know right now whats going on. In NC its littering to dispose of animal carcasses and a fine! Tell the landowner and let him handle it.
    John 3:16
    Ten Point Shadow
    Excalibur Ibex

sure have . I live in
    Wis. and I've watched both walk down the same trail. Not saying the coyote doesn't get his share, its just that when a deer is healthy, I don't think the deer see them as a big threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Regan View Post
    I would inform the land owner who you hunt on, and let him take care of it. It is definitely up to you to make him aware of this, what he does after that, that's all him.
    Yea, it's not really your place to take it up with the guy dumping the cows. Tell the landowner. For all you know, he gave the guy permission to dump them for whatever reason.
    "And God was with the boy, and he grew up. He lived in the wilderness and became an expert with the bow."

Genesis 21:20 ESV

Kill some coyotes.

It could be an agreement between land owners; if not then it could be a problem. However, something you may be unaware of is that companies no longer come and collect dead dairy cattle. The Dept of Ag has instructed farmers to "compost" cattle. Now, they shouldn't just dump them naked in the woods. They should be covered with manure. This may sound crazy, but I have done this on my parents farm now 20-30 times over the past years.
    RED meat is not bad for you. GREEN fuzzy meat is bad for you!

2012 PSE Vendetta DC - Skullworks Edition
    G5 Optix Rock Sight
    Trophy Ridge --> Until someone sells me a QAD Ultra Rest for cheap

Quote Originally Posted by ksgoosekillr View Post
    give it a few weeks, the yotes will take care of that smell... ever see how deer react to coyotes?
    actually I have seen any coyotes on this property, however I'm sure they are there. But I'm going to talk to my land owner and ask him if he knows this is going on. Next time I go out there I'll take a pic of this and post it. It's disturbing.

Unless someone else has said it, dairies are not allowed to just dump cows. At least here. They have to be composted, ie buried for decomposition. He could be in a lot of trouble with EPA and pay a hefty fine. That is considered a biohazard above ground.

Due to the thread of BSE or mad cow, rendering plants are no longer able to take cows over 30 months of age. As far as hurting the deer population mad cow disease is similar to CWD in deer so I believe that they prion (misfolded protein) that causes mad cow could cause CWD in your deer. Not saying the cows died of mad cow but there is always a possibilty.
    Fur: '11 Elite Pure (Max-1)
    Foam: '12 Elite Pure (ninja)
    Indoors: '12 Elite Tour (ninja)
    B-Stinger, Gold Tip, TRU Ball/Axcel, Trophy Taker

Quote Originally Posted by pinshooter View Post
    Sure it can be a health risk, who knows what they are dying from. Landowner needs to know right now whats going on. In NC its littering to dispose of animal carcasses and a fine! Tell the landowner and let him handle it.
    Additionally, a rotting bloated carcass gives off various gases including hydrogen sulfide which is VERY poisonous.
    I don't know, don't really care. Let there be songs to fill the air.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeForce View Post
    It could be an agreement between land owners; if not then it could be a problem. However, something you may be unaware of is that companies no longer come and collect dead dairy cattle. The Dept of Ag has instructed farmers to "compost" cattle. Now, they shouldn't just dump them naked in the woods. They should be covered with manure. This may sound crazy, but I have done this on my parents farm now 20-30 times over the past years.
    Now that interesting because there was hay mixed in with the carcass. Maybe some manure as well, tough to tell though. Just looks like a mess.

Yes, a hot smelly decomposing mess is what it becomes. We always try to cover them in 6"+ of manure so the scavengers dont go after them too bad. You also have to puncture them so that they do not bloat. Bloated cows explode. Not pretty.

G5 Optix Rock Sight

Definitely tell the landowner asap. We have a big boneyard pit for our dead cows and we try to cover it back up with a layer of dirt to keep the varmits out. It would also be in your best interest to get this stopped because the neighbor is basically feeding/attracting the coyote population which in turn will destroy your deer herd by having them in the area
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

Sounds like a coyote lease instead of a deer lease.
    You can't shoot a big one if you shoot a little one first.
    You can't shoot anything if you aren't out trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Pope & Young 24 View Post
    Yea, it's not really your place to take it up with the guy dumping the cows. Tell the landowner. For all you know, he gave the guy permission to dump them for whatever reason.
    What do you mean its not his place to take it up with the guy dumping the cows? Its anyone's place. IF it is illegal and in public view anyone has the right to file a complaint. Just the same if I saw you doing something illegal i can place you under a citizens arrest. If i find you are doing something illegal on your property in my plain view i also have the right to video tape you FROM MY PROPERTY. Yes as your neighbor i can legally point a camera at your property.

Very interesting topic. Couple of people have shed some light on this practice for us. Just a thought/question to you dairy farmer guys...Is there some reason that dairy cows are not edible? Seems like a waste of a lot of beef.
    Top Notch Taxidermy
    Preserving your memory one Mount at a time...!

'08 PSE X-Force 28" draw 60 lbs 370gr 298fps 73ft/lbs KE
    Trophy Ridge Drop Zone, Trophy Ridge Alpha 5 V-pin, Trophy Ridge ShockBlock stabilizer, Vibracheck string suppressor, Cabelas Elite Stalkers w/ Blazers, Muzzy 100gr 3-blade

Health risk? Yes. Dairy cow or not there is some filet and ribeye on those hefers. If he is not cutting steaks off of them there is soemthing wrong with them. Probably mad cow or CWD and that is why he is dumping them.
    “When a hunter is in a tree stand with high morale values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God”
    Fred Bear

Slaughter houses only take walking cows. If a cow suddenly becomes sick or disabled, not much you can do. Some times its cancer, sometimes is a twisted stomach. We had one just walking up a hill fall over from a heart attack. So yes, if there is time, they will go to the slaughter house. Just because a cow died does not mean it died of some poisonous, global killing, infectious disease.

G5 Optix Rock Sight

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast