Thread: Is it a bolt or an arrow?

Is it a bolt or an arrow?

What in the hell is it called? When I looked into buying a crossbow everything was listed as bolts. When I look at the manufacturers site they list them as bolts. When I looked into a receiver for the jo jann it is listed as a bolt receiver. But I have had a couple thread replies here and there that seemed to be straightening me out about calling "it" a bolt. So tell me folks, what is it called. Bolt or arrow?

whatever you want to call it. There are many that will tell you it's a crossbow arrow, and there will be those that say bolt.

I say call it whatever your heart desires.

There is a long thread on this some where on here. This one along with the need for speed, compound or recurve, mechanical or fixed are the top 4 on the never resolved threads.

But to clear it up and be correct it's an arrow, shot from a compound xbow at 400fps with a mechanical.
    Nothing is fool proof because fools are so ingenious.

Quote of the day : " Life is too short to shoot and hunt with a mediocre crossbow ".

Modern (after about 1900) crossbows shoot modern...arrows.

If you look into the history books about crossbows, you'll see that the "bolts" used in those early crossbows were nothing like todays "arrows".
    Other than round and straight, they were wood, relatively short, had two feathers, had large, VERY heavy tips.

While they may look a little like todays arrows on the surface...you'd wouldn't want to shoot one from a modern crossbow.
    And from most modern faster bows...the speed of the string would likely split the bolts shaft before it left the track..! Wouldn't be very accurate either because of the larger diameter shaft. Todays flight tracks are made for "modern", smaller diameter arrows.
    AND...the same thing in reverse... While it might be a little easier, most wouldn't shoot a modern "arrow" from an old historical type crossbow. They wouldn't even stay in place against the string....they'd be too small in diameter for the hold down spring to do its job.

So yea....an antique crossbow will shoot "bolts", while a modern crossbow will shoot "arrows".

Mike

Bolts don't have fletchings. They were designed for very short shooting distances to pierce armor coatings (knights carrying the king's money). The church put an end to them back in the day. We all shoot arrows from our "modern" crossbows.

The expression "modern archery" is sort of like the expression "modern" gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike- View Post
    Modern (after about 1900) crossbows shoot modern...arrows.

If you look into the history books about crossbows, you'll see that the "bolts" used in those early crossbows were nothing like todays "arrows".
    Other than round and straight, they were wood, relatively short, had two feathers, had large, VERY heavy tips.

While they may look a little like todays arrows on the surface...you'd wouldn't want to shoot one from a modern crossbow.
    And from most modern faster bows...the speed of the string would likely split the bolts shaft before it left the track..! Wouldn't be very accurate either because of the larger diameter shaft. Todays flight tracks are made for "modern", smaller diameter arrows.
    AND...the same thing in reverse... While it might be a little easier, most wouldn't shoot a modern "arrow" from an old historical type crossbow. They wouldn't even stay in place against the string....they'd be too small in diameter for the hold down spring to do its job.

So yea....an antique crossbow will shoot "bolts", while a modern crossbow will shoot "arrows".

Mike
    Correct that bolts is a description from mid-evil times, and modern society, still uses that term. But they are indeed arrows and should be properly called arrows.
    To be correct, Bolts are used to assemble crossbows and arrows are what they shoot

Who really even cares? either term works so don't sweat it...........................H b

They look like short arrows to me so I call them arrows.

Ok, I don't want this to get ugly or out of hand, but .......... I don't agree with anything stated so far.

Bolts, like arrows, bullets, etc. were simply the name given to the "ammunition" shot out of a crossbow. Sure, hundreds of years ago, they may have had two fletching, one fletching, no fletching, and now they have 3 fletches, made of wood, then metal, fiberglass, aluminum, carbon, and carbon and aluminum. That, my friends, is called evolution.

An arrow is something shot out of a vertical bow - by definition. So what is a "bolt" then?

By definition:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bolt

Definition of Bolt.............
    a : a shaft or missile designed to be shot from a crossbow or catapult; especially : a short stout usually blunt-headed arrow

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: Crossbow

Leading missile weapon of the Middle Ages, consisting of a short bow fixed transversely on a stock, with a groove to guide the missile and a trigger to release it. The missile, known as a bolt, was usually an arrow or dart.
    Present to Past: 14' BowTech RPM 360, 14' Xpedition Xcentric, 14' Hoyt Faktor Turbo, 14' Carbon Spyder Turbo, 14' Elite Energy 32, 13' Bowtech Insanity CPX, 13' Spyder Turbo, 13' Spyder 30, 12' Carbon Matrix Plus, 12' Carbon Element RKT, 11' Carbon Element, 11' Hoyt CRX 32, 10' Carbon Matrix, 10' Strother SR-71, 10' BT D350, 10' BT D350, 07' BT Guardian, Black Widow PAX, Hoyt Buffalo, 12' Parker Gale Force, 12' Scorpyd Ventilator

...................oh, I need to jump off here and order me some crossbow arrows, uh, I mean bolts, oh heck, I need to get 12 CAMX Accuspines! There, how's that

It's an arrow ... but for the most part we who tried to promote the proper term to help facilitate "crossbow inclusion" in states fighting for crossbows, have given up correcting people. Apparently crossbows are becoming "sexy" and the latest fad. The term "bolt" is evidently triggering adrenaline & testosterone in the hordes of newbe buyers. The manufacturers are just riding the wave. If bolt is provocative and fires up sales, they love it; they feed it. Bottom line is: "if you want gain some credibility call it an arrow as it should be called." If you want to rattle some cages or appear new, unschooled, or caring nothing about those fighting for crossbow inclusion ... call them bolts. Either way, everybody around here knows what you're talking about.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
    Bottom line is: "if you want gain some credibility call it an arrow as it should be called." If you want to rattle some cages or appear new, unschooled, or caring nothing about those fighting for crossbow inclusion ... call them bolts. Either way, everybody around here knows what you're talking about.
    Well I don't care about credibility. I don't mind appearing new and/or unschooled. I don't really want to rattle cages tho.

I do however care about those fighting for inclusion. I also care about those fighting against inclusion.

I guess I'll call them bolts every other time just to be safe either way.

Quote Originally Posted by 737flyer View Post
    Ok, I don't want this to get ugly or out of hand, but .......... I don't agree with anything stated so far.

Bolts, like arrows, bullets, etc. were simply the name given to the "ammunition" shot out of a crossbow. Sure, hundreds of years ago, they may have had two fletching, one fletching, no fletching, and now they have 3 fletches, made of wood, then metal, fiberglass, aluminum, carbon, and carbon and aluminum. That, my friends, is called evolution.

An arrow is something shot out of a vertical bow - by definition. So what is a "bolt" then?

By definition:

a : a shaft or missile designed to be shot from a crossbow or catapult; especially : a short stout usually blunt-headed arrow

Leading missile weapon of the Middle Ages, consisting of a short bow fixed transversely on a stock, with a groove to guide the missile and a trigger to release it. The missile, known as a bolt, was usually an arrow or dart.

Yep...What 737flyer said....Good post!
    “People who drink “light” beer don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot.”

I call them arrows Myself but I certainly wont "correct" anyone for calling them bolts as they may be the ones that are "correct" not Me. I don't think what we call them will make one iota of difference as far as getting crossbows included in any given states archery season.......................H b

Magazine or ... clip? Cartridge or bullet? Arrow or bolt? Semantics and language may be a living, breathing, changing medium; but how you choose your words defines who you are. As I lectured my son when he was in 7th grade "how you speak, how you choose your words, how you articulate will largely determine how your teachers and peers perceive you." Correct reference or colloquialisms; your choice. Either way it make's no difference to the message you're trying to put across around here. As somebody mentioned, crossbow inclusion has gained momentum and things like the scary, black rifle “crossgun” looks of the Tac15 and negative connotation of the word “bolt” no longer appear as damaging to the cause as they once did. Odds are the only ones who care about bolt vs arrow are those are those who know the difference between a magazine and a clip anyway.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

WOW why is this tough for some? They are ARROWS! They are ACCUSPINE Arrows! Easton, Carbon Express and even Gold Tip crossbow arrows. Why is that so hard to swallow?

ATA is working on language now so the industry can get on the same page and they will be ARROWS. Some manufactures just wanted to be cute and started in the modern era calling them bolts based on the fact they were shorter. If fletched it's an arrow like it or not. Today about the only thing that shoots a bolt is a Ten Meter Crossbow.

No need to be miss informed or ignorant as we move forward with the growth of the crossbow.

This gets under my skin as much as when a guy calls a magazine a "clip" and wants me to believe he is dialed in.

Bolts..

Arrows….

Quote Originally Posted by 737flyer View Post

By definition:

Dictionary definitions are sometimes outdated and that of "bolts" has probably last been revised decades ago.

Also many definitions found in general dictionaries are plain wrong when pertaining to a particular technical field. That's why there are for example engineering specific dictionaries.

The current correct definition is "arrow". Not just for convenience but because technically right for the reasons mentioned.

IMO a "bolt" is used to keep two parts held together. A arrow is what we shoot out of our crossbows. But like what others here have said you can call it what you want as we know what you are talking about.
    SZ380 & Tornado w/ XB30's
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member MCF Member

The other day at work I was talking about making some arrows for crossbow hunting this season and my co-worker said "Don't you mean you made bolts" I proceeded to tell him the difference between a medieval bolt and an arrow but he just looked at me like I had two heads so I was like whatever.
    Darton Tundra Extreme
    Scorpyd Ventilator 150, Nikon Prostaff 3-9, HHA Optimizer, BE Executioners, Spitfire Maxx
    StrykeZone 350
    >.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.