Thread: Sighting in your bow from your tree stand.

Sighting in your bow from your tree stand.

It's common advice to sight your bow in and then make sure you practice from a tree stand OR from the height you typically hunt. Why not sight your bow in from the tree stand?

Anyone attempt this? If so, how did it work?

2010 Mathews Monster 7.0, QAD HDX, Flatline Arrows with 100 gr. Muzzy or Grim Reaper

I always set up a stand in the yard and shoot from it. Especially with any new clothing, or gear. Why have surprises when you prepare for 9-10 months out of the year?! Really worth the risk? Not to me. . .

I practice from a treestsand, but sighting in seems unneccessary if you are using proper form.

I sight my bow in on the ground then shoot from my deck which is about 15' high

i always shoot out of my second story window while sitting down at targets in the back yard.
    2011 HOYT CARBON ELEMENT ROCKING RKT CAMS
    2013 BOWTECH EXPERIENCE

Sighting in from a tree stand would be a little difficult. You have a couple extra variables tree movement and too many different angles to sight in.
    Sight in from the ground. It is more solid and less movement. Shooting from a treestand, a thirty yard shot thirty feet down is only about 1 yard less than it ranges with a range finder.
    Jim Litmer VP Sales www.thirdhandarchery.com
    1-800-339-0232
    The original Made in the USA

We hope you have a safe successful hunting season.

If you have a 3d target shoot from heights just so you can see how your shot would travel into the deer. If you bend at the waist and keep your upper body form you should be good to go provided you are all sighted in on level ground.
    Hunting 2010 Elite Z28, Trophy Ridge Alpha V5 Micro, Fuse Ultra Rest, Scott Silverhorn, Carbon Express CX300 with Muzzy 90 gr 4blade
    Target 2005 Hoyt ProElite, Chek-it sight, Extreme XTG, Trophy Taker Original rest, Scott Silverhorn, and 33inch Doinker fatty

Sight in from the deck and i have an 18 ft ladder stand in the backyard to practice out of. Helps me this way.

I wouldnt recommend sighting in from a stand site. Maybe it is ok if you hunt the same stand everytime, but I hunt in my climber sometimes from 20-30 feet and sometimes from a stand or two from around 20 feet. I would sight in from the ground using a range finder for perfect distance.
    Airborne Archery LLC, Authorized Obsession Dealer, Authorized Athens Archery DealerAuthorized Diamond, Styker & Octane Dealer
    2014 Obsession Phoenix, Spot Hogg Hogg-It, QAD HDX, Tight Spot Quiver
    2014 Obsession Evolution, Athens Testament, Spott Hogg Hogg It, QAD HDX, Tight Spot Quiver

I keep a practice stand 28' up a tree in my backyard year round. I don't have to re-sight my bow as long as my form is good. Just bend at the waist instead of dropping your bow arm and point of impact shouldn't change. When I shoot much closer than 10 yards from the tree at 28' high I have to aim a little low because it's physically impossible for me to keep perfect form at that angle. Practice is the key. Practice a lot from the tree stand if you can and it becomes second nature.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdhandman View Post
    Sighting in from a tree stand would be a little difficult. You have a couple extra variables tree movement and too many different angles to sight in.
    Sight in from the ground. It is more solid and less movement. Shooting from a treestand, a thirty yard shot thirty feet down is only about 1 yard less than it ranges with a range finder.
    Yes Sir, I agree Sight in on the ground and practice from all the locations you plan to hunt.
    Ground blind, tree stand, Stalk etc.
    All positions are fun to practice once your sighted in.
    Yep "On your back" off the garage off the basketball hoop off the neighbors dish 10 ring . High ^5 : )

Be Smart Be Safe Enjoy The Hunt
    `12 Ron Marriott built EVO Blackout 70#/28.5 Bomar stops
    Spot Hogg, QAD HDX, Tightspot, VAP 250 ss insert, African PhatHead
    20,265lb 75 year old Woolly Mammoth 15'7" tusks

I've never sighted my bow in from ground level.

20 yards is 20 yards no matter how you look at it unless I guess if your looking at line of sight.

My arrows go to the same POI from an elevated position as they do from the ground. I must be special
    2013 Hoyt Spyder 34 and Slick Tricks

You should always practice in the clothes you will wear during hunting season. If you hunt out of a stand, practice shooting from it.
    The Lord Jesus Christ is our saviour. Only he can give us eternal life.

My pins are on the money whether I'm on the ground or in a tree and I sight in on the ground. Once it's a month prior to season I shoot from a stand much more on than on ground with my gear on and BH's on the arrows.
    Natures Essence

Quote Originally Posted by thirdhandman View Post
    I second this..

Quote Originally Posted by Liv4Rut View Post
    20 yards is 20 yards no matter how you look at it unless I guess if your looking at line of sight.
    I agree, but I think many feel if they are on at 20 on the ground, but high at 20 from the stand, they shot different? With proper form bending at the waist when in a tree, 20 yards is 20 yards, in a tree or on the ground. No need to sight in from a stand, but one should practice form from a stand.
    Cool Cats Custom Colored String Silencers

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1387708