Thread: ankle swollen like i have arthrits from a thorn

ankle swollen like i have arthrits from a thorn

I was hanging a stand and thought i was bitten by a snake, until i noticed i backed my ankle in to a big thron! Probably went half way in! I can't bend my ankle very much, might have to see the doc in a few days if it does not get better. Anyone every been poked by a thorn?

Many times, never any swelling. Any idea as to what kind of thorn it was? If Mesquite, then you need to see the doc quick, atleast that is my understanding.
    Hoyt Turbohawk @70lbs. Black Risor Camo limbs
    Axcel Armortech 7 pin .019
    QAD rest
    Easton Lightspeed 400s 370gr. 28in.
    315 fps.

i think locast but not for sure!

Clean it real well, top it off with some neosporin and pop a couple Benadryl, if it gets worse or red and hot, then it's infected and you need to call your physician.

Happens all the time with Locust. Naturally most of my best spots is covered in the stuff. I get poked in my hands all the time and it will puff up and kind of become numb. It lasts a couple days and goes away.

I personally have a very low threshold for medical attention when it comes to deep injuries to the hand and any joint.

If it's beginning to swell and movement becomes an issue - I wouldn't hesitate, the possible complications simply aren't worth it. There's simply no point to play tough, even though your "instinct" or "woodsman's experience" tells you it'll heal on its own.

On the side; middle - aged or older Diabetic? Exercise some caution.
    Archers patronizing and bashing fellow Archers with the purest distillate of ignorance, arrogance, and condescension.

I have the same reaction to honey locust thorns. The thorns have to have something on them...

In my early twenties I did. My ankle swelled and started to ooze and turn purple and eventually spread to about a 6x6 section. Went to the dermatologist who gave me multiple medications with no success. They had a hard time culturing it but finally after 2 months they were able and ended up being sporotrichinosis (also known as rose gardeners disease) which is a fungal infection introduced from thorns I had to pull out of my ankle while walking in the woods. Had to drink iodine mixed in water and have my liver enzymes checked regularly while on it. Did the job and got rid of it. I still have tattooing where the infection was, it was nasty.

Sporotrichinosis can affect the joints as well. I would get to the doctor and get it checked out. If this is what you have it can get nasty quick.

There is not really a poison in the thorn but being stuck by any number of thorns (rose. locust etc.)they all seem to cause a medical problem. More then likely the dirt and dust gets into the wound and causes infection. Or when it is pulled out a small bit remains and festers.
    The only site I found was from Penn State Robert Nuss, professor of ornamental horticulture.
    http://www.aginfo.psu.edu/News/october99/toxic.html

"Thorny plants. The most common plant-related injuries are caused by thorns. "Most people don't seek medical help after getting stuck by a thorn," Nuss says. "But implanted thorns, needles or spines can cause infections or other medical problems."

Nuss says thorns embedded near joints can cause chronic arthritis. Thorns embedded near bones can mimic a bone tumor. Thorny plants that can cause painful injuries include roses, black locust and honeylocust trees and blackberry bushes."

we can rule out toxicology here, as Honey Locusts show no signs of toxicity, and only the seeds of the Black Locust are dangerous.
    There is also the chance of an infection.

Now I guess that anything foreign to the body could be classified as a "poison" such as dirt or dust on the thorn or the thorn itself but the plant itself is not toxic.

could be some sort of staph infection. I had one on my left big toe, never found out what caused wound but it swoll up and I got a fever. man it hurt. bactrim did it's job

I have had this happen to me from Locust and Crab Apple thorns both. A few days and all was fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rodney482 View Post
    There is not really a poison in the thorn but being stuck by any number of thorns (rose. locust etc.)they all seem to cause a medical problem. More then likely the dirt and dust gets into the wound and causes infection. Or when it is pulled out a small bit remains and festers.
    The only site I found was from Penn State Robert Nuss, professor of ornamental horticulture.
    http://www.aginfo.psu.edu/News/october99/toxic.html

"Thorny plants. The most common plant-related injuries are caused by thorns. "Most people don't seek medical help after getting stuck by a thorn," Nuss says. "But implanted thorns, needles or spines can cause infections or other medical problems."

Nuss says thorns embedded near joints can cause chronic arthritis. Thorns embedded near bones can mimic a bone tumor. Thorny plants that can cause painful injuries include roses, black locust and honeylocust trees and blackberry bushes."

we can rule out toxicology here, as Honey Locusts show no signs of toxicity, and only the seeds of the Black Locust are dangerous.
    There is also the chance of an infection.

Now I guess that anything foreign to the body could be classified as a "poison" such as dirt or dust on the thorn or the thorn itself but the plant itself is not toxic.
    I found that too, but I don't buy it. An infection from dust, dirt, or a thorn breaking off would take a while. Usually, once I get poked by a honeylocust thorn I get a reaction very quickly. I get nailed by multiflora rose all the time and get thorns inbeded...I have never had that type of reaction with it. I don't know what it is about honeylocust thorns, but there is more going on with it than dust...

Cellulitis I'd bet. Some antibiotics are surely in your future

Sent via smoke signal

Would go get it checked sooner than later. If ankle is swollen and tender and red, most likely cellulitis. Wait too long, it can spread into tendons or even worse the joint itself which mean SURGERY, in which case...there goes the hunting season!! Usually a week or two of antibiotics work well enough.
    Hips Targets Pro-Staff Member
    Hoyt Carbon Element 29.5" draw, 63lbs
    Beman Bone Collector 340s, blazers and G5 T3s
    [SIZE=2]We did not inherit this Earth from our parents. We are merely borrowing it from our children![/SIZE]

Still say it very well could be what I had. http://www.medicinenet.com/sporotrichosis/article.htm
    Here is a part of what it says, click the link to learn more.

The fungus can be found in sphagnum moss, in hay, in other plant materials, and in the soil. It enters the skin through small cuts or punctures from thorns, barbs, pine needles, or wires. It is not spread from person to person.