Thread: What Are Some Good Field Dressing Knives?

What Are Some Good Field Dressing Knives?

In the market for a new knife... any ideas?

I guess that depends on what your looking for in a knife. Frankly most any knife with a 2-1/2" to 4" blade will do for a single gut job. However with the cheaper steels you'll be sharpening more often. I used to use a cheap no name knock off of a Buck 110 for years and it worked great but was very dull from just one deer. I actually broke that knife so I bought a Buck 110 and found that it stayed sharper for much longer but still required more maintenance than I wanted. With that being said I'm now using these knives:
    http://queencutlery.com/prhunters.htm
    They are very well made and heavy duty, comparable to Knives of Alaska but with a much better price. They are also D2 steel which has become my favorite. I dressed, skinned, & butchered 3 deer with one last year and it was still razor sharp! The one I have is the "4190-FOSSILIZED SPALTED MAPLE BURL" & I have a "4185-FOSSILIZED SPALTED MAPLE BURL" on the way. They run about $55 each, shipped plus they are made in the USA right in Titusville, PA
    Natures Essence

Knives of Alaska cub bear or boning knife are great!

I prefer most anything from Kershaw.

i bought a browning FTD 2 blade years and years ago first year for this one I belive I love it great for whitetail and small game. I have always had thoughts of my grandfather making me a custom fixed blade as he is a blacksmith but time and age may not permit it

Right now I'm using a knives of Alaska combo that I really like, but for short money I've done a load of deer with the outdoor edge kodi pak, nice set of knives for the money.
    “Those who act like sheep, will be eaten by Wolves”

DNA

I use a boning knife and find it to be pretty easy to use.
    http://Hunorarchery.com
    TREEWALKER >>---------> Treestands
    Goldtip Arrows

Been using a Buck 110 for a while now, but I'm always on the lookout for the latest and greatest. I've flirted with the idea of getting a custom job as well, complete with "super steels" and bone or micarta handles.

If you want pure utility however, look at Havalon knives. They're not beautiful or romantic. They ARE inexpensive, always sharp, always ready. And now, always in my pack.
    Aim small, miss small.

as stated above any brand with a 2 1/2" - 4" blade however the type of steel is the key I prefer D2 , 154CM or S30V any of these and your knife will stay sharp. another thing to consider is the tip I perfer a drop point but that is up the each person.

Cutco

I have a few. Got this spyderco thats a pretty sharp little knife
    "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

I use my ESEE 3 for a gutting and skinning knife. I use it for everything really. Great knives with a no questions asked lifetime waranty.

mlrs

SOG Field pup
    GO CARDINALS!!

Mathews Z7 29/70. GT7595. Slick Trick Mags

Swing blade from outdoor edge for the last three years. 3 people have "borrowed it" to gut their deer (instead of the more expensive ones they had - knives of Alaska etc.). Probably 7-8 deer gutted & butchered before I had to sharpen

Quote Originally Posted by mlrs View Post
    I use my ESEE 3 for a gutting and skinning knife. I use it for everything really. Great knives with a no questions asked lifetime waranty.

mlrs
    This. I've been using a Cold Steel master hunter plus but I'm going to be using my ESEE 3 this year. Awesome awesome knives.
    Kravguy said I could have my mancard back.

I agree with the outdoor edge swing blaze. It opens them up like a zipper, holds a good edge and it's bright orange so it's easy to find when you lay it down.