Archery Talk Forum banner

My homemade compound bow

102K views 245 replies 178 participants last post by  calihunter4 
#1 ·
Good morning everyone, I´d like to share my homemade compound bow, I live in Brazil and here a good archery equipment has a very high cost due to federal taxes, the price doubles!! That's what motivated me to build my own equipment ... not quite ready, the strings are provisional and need to finish, which will end soon ...
Thank you all ...

See less See more
#2 ·
NICE!!!! Just curious is archery hunting popular in Brazil (just asking givenwhat you said about taxes and cost) what is poundag of the draw and speed? You may not have those answers but I would be interesed in knowing. Great looking bow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Impressive.

#3 ·
Hello dmason390, thanks for the comment ...
Archery is not very popular in Brazil, we have a forum that brings together about 8,000 archers, maybe that's the number of practitioners across the country, because the values ​​are too high to have a good equipment, a bow of $ 1,000, 00 in the USA costs U.S. $ 2,000.00 in Brazil, including government fees and profit of the seller ...
My homemade compound bow will approximate 50 ~ 55 lbs, ATA 31 ``, 50% let-off, 7 `` Brace height, weight 5lbs ...
Sorry for the english .... :)

#4 ·
That is awsome, I like the design of it expecially the wood! I have been cerious if it was possible to build a bow from scratch and this just proves the concept!

#5 ·
Great work and design work Fabio. Sorry to hear about the cost for you just to get commercially built archery equipment, I would have probably gone the same route you did and make whatever I could to be able to shoot, if I couldnt get archery equipment. I wish you the best of luck and again, fantastic workmanship and design. I envy your creative ability in the bow you have created.

#8 ·
Looks good, but do you think the wooden riser will hold up? I'd be concerned about the grip throat area, especially if you have any torque in the system.

#9 ·
Amazing job! I am very impressed with your motivation! How did you figure out the correct weight load for your bow draw weight?

#11 ·
keep us posted with your project!

What material did you make the limbs out of?

#20 ·
Looks like a standard 2 cam design. How is the draw length adjusted or set? I thought there were string stops on the cams, but in the picture where you are drawn, I don't see what stops the rotation. Is this a no draw length/no let-off design?
What about the cables, are you going to install a cable slide and guide rod?
*It makes me cringe seeing you draw that bow with no arrow*

#23 ·
Awesome!

Nathan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.