Archery Talk Forum banner

Favorite Finger Bow

8K views 58 replies 39 participants last post by  Lanny 
#1 ·
What is your favorite finger shooting bows of all time and why? Thanks!

#12 ·
Still have mine. I replaced cables when they broke. The tear drops enable you to change string with no press in about five seconds, and the dacron strings are cheap. It shoots like a wooden limb bow, which it is, rather than a composite limb one. It is not fast, but still groups pretty well at thirty yards. I use it as my backup bow now. It;s pretty tough.

#7 ·
It would have to be a toss up between:
1998 Alpine Northwind with factory Barnsdale limbs and modified cams
1995 PSE LD 300 riser with factory Barnsdale limbs and Vector Pro wheels
and last
1996 Hoyt Super Star with Meridian limbs and Energy wheels.

You can't really say one was better than the other because shooting styles changes with age and accuracy. (and the amount of trophies you when with the bows!!)
Thanks.
Myya

#9 ·
New Breed Horizon 7 3/4" brace height for me.

#56 ·
Time to revive an old thread. I have owned several compound bows since my original post to include Superstars, Prostars, Oasis, Aspen with Barnsdale TriStar wheels, Aspen with Accuwheels-which I then put Tri-Stars on, Provantages with FFE wheels, Provantage with E-wheel, Provantage with Command Cams, several Alpine Concordes, PSE Moneymaker NI single cam bows, etc, etc, etc.

The Provantage has high marks in my personal shooting history, particularily with Carbon Plus limbs and Command Cams. I use to like the grip, but it feels really fat to me now. I like the pointability with the huge deflex. But, outside of the indoor range, it probably is impractical due to the speed loss from the 11" brace height. I never thought I would come to that conclusion after having provantages for 20 years. The cast riser was prone to cracking, so I didn't use light arrows out of it outdoors. That was another draw back. Still, the accuracy at indoor distance is second to none. Nolstaglic reasons put this one second from the top.

The Aspen with Barnsdale wheels I had a few years ago was the bee's knees, but it only maxes at 52#. I sold it off due to the light weight and was kicking myself earlier this year. I shot a hinge for two years with the Moneymakers, which are smooth, stable bows. Too short for me and my 31.5" draw to shoot with fingers and a sight/low anchor. So, I picked up another Aspen and my old Tri-Star wheels found their way back to me. I put the two together and get 58# max. I really, really like it. So, until I try the new to me Aspen with Command Cams later this month, the Aspen with Tri-Stars is my all time favorite shooting finger compound.

#14 ·
My favorite recurve is my Sky Conquest riser with Dryad limbs, because of how it shoots. My favorite nolstagic recurve is an wood riser from a Windwalker kit recurve that my Dad and I made into ILF with a set of Dryad limbs, or a proline that we made into a warf.

#18 ·
The PSE Laser Flite of Michelle Ragsdale was prettier and more manageable.(2" shorter)
I shot this bow with Barnsdale limbs and did great till I changed to a machined riser of the LD300 series. Awesome shooting bow now. Sweeter feel and less hand shock and when it is tune, the bow does not miss the Gold except for finger goof ups. Can't wait to try it out this winter on the tourny circuit.
Just my own opinion.
The Magnaflite was a great bow. Terry Ragsdale was the first person to shoot a perfect 900 Vegas shoot at the time. He even did it with an old Crack Shot release.
Boy am I showing my age, sorry to ramble on.
Till next time fellas.
Myya

#20 ·
My Favourites were also were PSE's .

Magna Flight , Mach 5 Carbon 2 (absolute Fav), LD2200 , and the Mach 9 and more recently the MoneyMaker.

I grew up with shooting PSE and still believe they are the bomb !!

#22 ·
It has to be my Shadowcats. I have 2 right handed and one left handed.
I am slowly getting all the guys out here switching over to Shadowcats..:wink:
Don.

#24 ·
I have two Favs. Number one is a PSE Mach 5 with 40-50 lb limbs and wheels. I just bought this last winter and it is a very good shooter. Extremely smooth and dead in the hand even with a short 12 inch stabilizer. I shot yesterday and had two robin hoods at 40 yards. Number two is an old Hoyt Pro Vantage I had back in the 80's. Shot that with a springy and learned to gap with that bow. It was very good to me for a long time. Unfortunately stupid got me and I traded it for a recurve. Bad move.

#25 ·
I got a hoyt pro medalist in the mail today from crossxsticks. I won an nfaa national or two with that bow back in the eighties. I'm anxious to try one out again.Wheel bow with long valley. Of course, gary2413 is practically breaking my arm to try one of his protecs so I guess I'll have to give one a try or lose a good friend, LOL

#28 ·
i had a 2003 protec with cam+1/2 and hated it . later bought a 2003 with accuwheels and it is really nice , good chance you'd like it . both had lx pro limbs so a to a is like 48 inches . somewhere in the last week i saw a pro medalist for sale maybe ebay . i ''gotta a thing'' about old hoyts and have a tough time passing on buying opportunities . luckily most of them are to heavy draw weight for me . by the way , skinny grip on the protec was unpleasant at first but i learned to live with it .

#31 ·
New Breed Cyborg. I have been able to shoot some bows with fingers but only for short periods of time til things fall apart. This has been the only bow I have been able to stay consistently good with over a period of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.