Thread: Best time to catch deer at a watering hole?

Best time to catch deer at a watering hole?

So Im hunting near corn feilds, winter rye, alfalfa and some other types of hay. Mostly corn, theres a small pond in between some hay fields and corn fields. The pond is surrounded by woods except for the trail to the fields. Im thinking this would be a good place to set up and catch them leaving the fields and drinking before bedding down again.

My question, this early in the season, when have you seen deer frequent the watering hole? Never hunted a water source before, just deep woods and fields, so this is new to me.

Same situation but all woods. No farming around. Just woods and tall grass fields.

Wondering the same.

Me also I have a stand on a pond now but not sure when to hunt it.
    [B]'12 Heli M, Viper single pin , Apache Rest, Gold Tip XT Hunters 55/75 topped with Grim Reapers.
    Hers:2011 Elite Pulse, Tru glo 4 pin, Whisker biscuit rest, Razor Trick broad heads!

I was planning on hunting the woods in the morning and the watering hole in the evening since most of my trail cam pics show the deer there in the evening or night.

They typically need/want water as soon as they get up from bed. I would be sitting on it in the afternoon. They should hit it first before heading to the nearest food source. If you can bare the heat they may hit it midday when they get up from bed to browse around as well before bedding again. They need it so they will be there at some point during daylight hours if not too pressured. Put a camera on it and see when is the best time. Good luck
    CRACKERIZED MONSTER MR6
    VAP 300 w/ FOBs and Onestringer Wraps @ 490 grains
    Grim Reaper Razortip 2", Grizz Trick 2's, and QAD Exodus Full & Swept
    29"DL/73# @ 300FPS....98KE....15%FOC

Attachment 1468207

WR-winter rye, WG-wheat grass, OG-orchardgrass , Corn...-Corn

The pond is at the top between OG and WG?...have the ? because i cant remember, but i think it is WG. The people who own the farm do a lot of pheasant hunting, so there is a lot of habitat for them.

Afternoon is normally best, but if you can not get in without bumping deer in the afternoon then forget it.

My pond gets a lot of activity. Trail cameras show they hit it in the evening before heading out into the hayfield/cornfield and also on the way back into bed in the morning. So, morning and evening. Great place to be when it' warm. We kill a good buck around our pond every year.

I think I can sneak in, in the morning. Ill try the afternoon someday after opening day.

Thanks

I would say when he's thirsty. LOL
    2010 Bowtech D350
    QAD LD Pro
    Tru Ball Assassin Buckle Release
    Axcel Armortech 5 Pin

I have had a camera on a pond for the last 3 -4 weeks. Bucks are hitting the water as late as 10:45 in the morning and from 4:00 pm until dark when it's really hot. The few cooler days we've had they hit it just before sunrise and right at dark.

When it hasn't rained in a while.
    2012 New Breed Genetix Outshine Blue, Tree limb, CBE Tek Hunter, G5 Meta Peep, Rage Broadheads, , QAD HD Rest, B Stinger Stab, Easton Flatline 400 Arrows, 65lbs.
    2012 New Breed Horizon Red to Black Fade, Sure Loc 400, Super Peep, Ripcord Rest, Doinker Stabs, Gold Tip X Cutters, 60lbs, 360 grains at 282 fps.
    2013 Bowtech Strykezone 380, 20" Black Eagle Executioners, 100gn Ramcats

Animals are no different than us, if you are really thirsty you are not going to eat before you drink. So as said, most likely they will hit it first thing in the evening and often times in the middle of the day if it is close to their bedding area.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Bruisers View Post
    I have had a camera on a pond for the last 3 -4 weeks. Bucks are hitting the water as late as 10:45 in the morning and from 4:00 pm until dark when it's really hot. The few cooler days we've had they hit it just before sunrise and right at dark.
    This info helps, just trying to nail down a morning spot. My camera got stolen, so I have no idea what times they are coming though. This helps. My afternoon should be a failsafe if the water hole is a no go.

We were in a pretty bad drought last year in La and I changed my tactics after noticing the bucks on trailcams having wet or muddy legs after dark. The creek was dry but we have a 3/4 acre pond, beside our barn, and it was the only water source in the immediate area. I put up a climber on a gum tree and climbed up. I watched bass and bream hit all evening and was surprised at the deer activity. Every deer came to the water FIRST, before heading to my original bow stand. I watched does come in, drink, and head across the field to my stand where they were feeding. I watched a few bucks walk past my stand, come to water, and head back to feed.

It was a cool hunt, a little out of the ordinary. I crossed my fingers each day that none of my family would show up to go fishing. I never hunted there in the morning due to work, but I would say an afternoon set would be good.

Thanks Honker, Ill up date saturday to let you know what i saw. Gonna be heading therre realllly early, 45 min before shooting time. Gonna sit till about 11, then head over to my other spot.

In a bad drought year.....and the midge flys are reproducing heavily.