Thread: use a peep sight or not?

use a peep sight or not?

So i have just recently been getting back into archery after being in the military for the passt few years and not really having anytime to shoot. Shot a few times in the last couple of years but for the most part its been about 7-8 yrs since i was actively shooting. I recently got a Parker Ultra Lite 31 Compound off a friend of mine. It has the kisser buttin on it, but no peep sight on the string. Also has a Apex Gear 3 pin sight on it. Whats your thoughts on having a peep sight put on the string? Looking for anybodys opinions and experience with a setup something like this. Thanks in advance for any opinions and help.

Well a peep will increase consistency and accuracy if set up right for you.
    Your in the best position at the moment having no peep , you should practice shooting the bow with no peep until you get accurate, this will let you find the natural most comfortable anchor points for you and your bow.
    You will be surprised at how accurate you can be with repeatable anchor and no peep. Look at recurve shooters..
    Then when your ready put the peep in at the point on string that you can keep the form you learned without the peep .
    Also make sure that the peep hole is large enought so that you can see the outside of the sight housing at full draw, this will improve consistency.

Thanks for the response. Definetly did not think about the whole recurve shooters point. thanks

I love shooting without a peep or sights, but always find myself installing both after a short period. I have no doubts that I could successfully take deer under 30 yards without sights, but I enjoy the extreme accuracy possible with sights/peep.
    My wife knows nothing about bows, but unfortunately - she can count...

I'm using a g5 blue but iv allways used one when I started shooting compounds I wish I never started useing one .

thanks. im definetly going to start shooting without the peep sight first and then go from there. Thanks for all the input so far you all have good valid points and i appreciate all of y'all input. thanks again.

Anybody have any other advice for gettting back into shooting. Im pretty much a newby at the whole archery thing its been quite a while since i did it actively. I know it will come back to me with time and practice but just looking for some pointers. thanks

Peep will help but it can hinder low light shooting. I'd say find a good anchor, get DL set properly and adjust the kisser. You'll soon get to where you automatically hit that point every time without thinking about it...just takes a little longer than a peep.

Advice
    yea, don't listen to 90% of what's written here on this forum and you'll probably be better off...lot a crap floating around.

In all seriousness
    start out at a reasonable range...10 yards, maybe 5 yards. When all arrows can all stay inside a softball size group, then step back a yard or two.

1. Get a good instructor to work with you on finding your proper draw length. Just because you think you know your DL, A. it may have changed, B. it may not have been right to begin with.
    2. Don't shoot too heavy a weight. Too many guys have the "I can pull it back" mentality and think its less manly to shoot a lower weight bow. It takes a much better man to know what is reasonable. Just cuz you can pull it back doesn't mean you should.
    3. Take your time and focus more on the mechanics, proper anchor, proper draw curve/method (draw up/down, push/pull, draw to anchor or lift to anchor) proper sight picture, proper release procedure.
    4. along with 1, get your bow tuned properly...make sure AtoA is set, brace height is set, center shot is set. Just getting back into this it will be difficult to fine tune properly...don't get caught up in tuning yourself. Take your bow to the shop have the basics done and go shoot.
    5. Forget about bare shaft tuning. Starting out, all you'll find out is what you're doing wrong. Bare shafting is fine when you have grip, follow through, release very consistent. If you're not consistent with that, you'll be chasing your tail.

So with what I said to begin with...the above may be 90% crap. But it's my .02.

Hope it helps.

For what it's worth I just started shooting again, about May/June of this year. I started out shooting my old way without much guidance...wrong way to do it. I should have followed what I know now (much of which I already knew) and I wouldn't have so much crap to unlearn and back tension probably wouldn't be so difficult for me.
    USA Level 2 Instructor
    2012 PSE Supra ME, 47#, 30",ACC- 390's Davis sight, FITA ring,
    Win-Win Inno Carbon Riser/Tropics 36#(38 tof), Redline arrows 690- DS Advantage-282grn@ 195fps
    2010 Hoyt Vantage Pro, XT 2000, Sprls, Sure Loc W BE 6X, ACC's 408g @ 259

I don't care for peeps myself and shot without them for several years. My problem was that the way things were comfortable with me and my shooting, my string and pins were in line with each other and at full draw my string was in the way of seeing the pins. No matter what I tried, it always ended up back at that point.

With my new set up, I tried peeps again but didn't care for them until I tried the string splitter. I'm using the mini version and I could probably go down to the micro version but I really like this. I don't use it to line up with the sight housing or anything, just to get the string out of the way.

It doesn't block my view like other peeps would and it doesn't block any light at all. During my shooting sessions (which are outside), I am able to shoot and see my pins and target at 45 minutes after sundown at full draw.

With a consistent form and anchor point, I'm accurate out to 75 yards.
    2012 Mathews HeliM
    -- Helim Nation --

2013 Obsession Knightmare - Stormy Hardwoods Original

Just start shooting and enjoy our sport, I am a peep shooter alway have been and always will be. I did like the shooting a a low poundage suggestion mentioned earlier, you will get tired really quick shooting high poundage early on and you shooting will suffer.

No peep.

Number of times a guy without a peep beat me on a 3d course in 5 years, ZERO. Number of years I shot without a peep 20, I grew up in the late 70's and 80's without a peep and even hunted without a peep in the late 90's for a year or so. I even used a hindsight in 2005. There is no way you can shoot as well without a peep as you can with a peep and a peep offers many advantages such as low light conditions when hunting and picking a peep that allows you to see better the pin or target.

thanks for the input