Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowtech Destroyer 350 Limb Shatter

Bowtech Destroyer 350 Limb Shatter

I was lucky this happened while it was in my shooter when I was checking timing on my cam stops. Scared the living hell out of me. No warning just a loud POW and it was all over in less than a second. Bent my cam where it hit my rest that holds my bow in my shooter.

Is there anybody else out there that this has happened to also
    And did you or anybody you may know get hurt from it?

Thanks,
    Nervous Shooter Now!
    But This Want Stop Me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

These type of stories do seem to concentrate a bit around the same manufacturer...

Glad youre not bruised.

r.mika

saw one just like yours do the same thing at a local shop one night. only it was in the guys hands and it was both limbs.... some exact spot on both.

shope owner said it was cause because he had a 70# bow and had the limbs completely maxed out all the way(wasnt backed off the 1/2 turn it was supposed to be) putting to much pressure on the limbs and away she went.....
    2010 PSE Bowmadness XS @ 63#
    28.5" Gold Tip Expeditiion Hunter
    Muzzy 3 Blade 100gr

"Gettin it done with my PSE"

Quote Originally Posted by PSE-KING1026 View Post
    shope owner said it was cause because he had a 70# bow and had the limbs completely maxed out all the way(wasnt backed off the 1/2 turn it was supposed to be) putting to much pressure on the limbs and away she went.....
    thats bs
    Shooting Hoyt now, dabbling with Bowtech...

Well mine was cranked back to 65# so that was not the problem for sure. I really think that cam would have came down and broke my thumb or hand if I would have been shooting at the time of shattering.

I agree thats BS!!!!! They wouldn't make it that way.

Damn, that is crazy. Glad ur ok!

Did the limbs fly and seperate like mine did or stay together with the bow?

Quote Originally Posted by BeastofEast View Post
    Damn, that is crazy. Glad ur ok!
    Thanks, Still got brown scid marks in the briefs. LOL

his the limbs were just hanging there..... the string kept it all from hittin the ground..... it was the first time id ever seen one blow up.

you can call bs if you want. i was there and thats just what the shop owner said. you could also see stress fractures around the the limb where it sets in the limb pocket. however, we didnt know if they were there prior to it blowing up.
    2010 PSE Bowmadness XS @ 63#
    28.5" Gold Tip Expeditiion Hunter
    Muzzy 3 Blade 100gr

"Gettin it done with my PSE"

his the limbs were just hanging there..... the string kept it all from hittin the ground..... it was the first time id ever seen one blow up.

you can call bs if you want. i was there and thats just what the shop owner said. you could also see stress fractures around the the limb where it sets in the limb pocket. however, we didnt know if they were there prior to it blowing up.
    He was referring the BS as to the cause being from the bow cranked down and I totally agree. . . . shop owner is wrong on that. I have been around 3 different bows with catastrophic failure. One was a broken riser and the other 2 were limbs. Never happened to me, but was standing next to one and I nearly jumped out of my shoes.

Uh, oh. You know what Bowtech is going to say if it's a warranty issue.....Pressed worng.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

You cannot hit what you cannot see.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter 58 View Post
    Uh, oh. You know what Bowtech is going to say if it's a warranty issue.....Pressed worng.
    Yep that's what I'm betting.
    '07 LH Mathew's Switchback XT, WB rest, HHA OL-5519 sight
    '10 LH Mathew's Z7, WB rest, Spott Hogg Hogg-It Hunter sight
    Carbon Express and Easton Arrows with Rage Broadheads
    Tru-Fire Releases
    Swarovski SLC 8x42HD Field Glasses

Quote Originally Posted by kertkicks View Post
    I was lucky this happened while it was in my shooter when I was checking timing on my cam stops. Scared the living hell out of me. No warning just a loud POW and it was all over in less than a second. Bent my cam where it hit my rest that holds my bow in my shooter.

And did you or anybody you may know get hurt from it?

Thanks,
    Nervous Shooter Now!
    But This Want Stop Me!

Guys at pro shop are saying that Bowtech will not warranty any limbs or bows if they are being shot in Hooter Shooters or shooting devices. So if
    You should bust a limb don't tell shops or Bowtech you had it in or using a shooting device unless you are tight with proshop. I think that's BS but who's to say I could be wrong. I can't see where this could possibly make a difference in the pressure on the limbs if you are not leaving the bow in a cranked position for a long period of time.

Hey PSE-KING1026
    Not meaning it's BS what you say has happened. Sorry if I made that sound wrong. I suck at righting this c*** but I needed to find out from others. I actually saw one that was cracked at the bow shop today. Also top to my proshop buddy and said that a friend busted two of his bows in his bow shooter. So could there be a difference???? Sounds like a challenge if I can figure out how to do a survey.

Thanks to all you guys for replying.

I owned a 2010 Destroyer 250 and the blow blew up while I was shooting at an indoor 3D range. Thank Goodness I had witnesses, first question was dry fired, second was who pressed the bow. never and a Bowtech Dealer were my honest answers.

A month ago my buddy"s D 350 blew up at a 3D shoot. He went to the Bowtech dealer and they had the limb replaced and he tuned the bow again. Bow had new strings & cables on it. He has the bow two weeks and is shooting at the same range I was at and booooom, it blows again. This time not as lucky, cuts his eyeball, his eyelid and gets some shiner. Swollen wrist on bow hand and much pain. He missed a huge buck because of this timing due to the lack of hunting.

Today another friend has a doe in his sights and while drawing back, you guessed it.... BOOOOOOOOM. his bow blows. Dealer says he'll do the limbs.

now with the D350 LE coming out people are taking a chance. Don;t buy one if you love seeing with two eyes. It's a matter of time before someone loses an eye. And Bowtech replaced my D350 with the Invasion which I traded in for a Heli-M which I sold and bought the Insanity. now I am a little leary of the Insanity so I am considering selling it and buying another Z7 or a Monster... I have a Z7 Xtreme and hunt with it.....
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 55 lbs. Gold Yip Velocity 400's twistet vanes.
    Hoyt Avenger Plus. 48 pounds. Victory arrows with Blazer vanes.
    Mathews Z7 Xtreme. 62 pounds. Gold Tip Velocity 400's with blazer vanes

Guys at pro shop are saying that Bowtech will not warranty any limbs or bows if they are being shot in Hooter Shooters or shooting devices. So if
    You should bust a limb don't tell shops or Bowtech you had it in or using a shooting device unless you are tight with proshop. I think that's BS but who's to say I could be wrong. I can't see where this could possibly make a difference in the pressure on the limbs if you are not leaving the bow in a cranked position for a long period of time.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!! I LOVE IT!

Blows up while owner is shooting it - shooter error.
    Blows up while tech at the shop is shooting it - pressed wrong by owner
    Blows up while in Hooter Shooter - won't warrantee the bow if shot from a shooting machine!

Blame the user
    Blame the user
    Blame the user.

Bowtech really did learn their lesson from the General!

Just avoid that liability. Blame the user, and noone can call you to task!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Zawacki View Post
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!! I LOVE IT!

Blows up while owner is shooting it - shooter error.
    Blows up while tech at the shop is shooting it - pressed wrong by owner
    Blows up while in Hooter Shooter - won't warrantee the bow if shot from a shooting machine!

Blame the user
    Blame the user
    Blame the user.

Bowtech really did learn their lesson from the General!

Just avoid that liability. Blame the user, and noone can call you to task!
    They learned that lesson 4 years before the General with their '05 BlowTech fiasco. In '05 and '06 I needed 5 sets of limbs on two bows I barely got to shoot. Junk. I haven't bought a BT product since and probably won't. Sad, because I had a couple before '05 that were good bows, like my '04 Pro40 Freedom cam. That was a great bow.
    Sent via my 1918 Bell hand crank phone

How do you figure? The OP has pics showing just what was going on at the time of the blow up. Maybe we can pull another straw out of the air.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter 58 View Post
    BowTech Pro Staff, JBK Pro Staff, AAE Field Staff, Black Eagle Pro Staff. 2012 Insanity CPX, B Stinger Stabilizer, CBE TEK Hunter Pro Sight .AAE Pro Drop rest,. Stan shootoff release and Black Eagle Carnivores. 2012 Specailist with Sure Loc Supreme Sights, AAE Freakshow, and Black Eagle Magnums.

That is an experience as I can tell you first hand...had a 101st come apart at full draw not too long ago and it will rattle your cage quite a bit. And, it is over in a millisecond....this was not a dry fire as the arrow went straight up after it hit something and came down 15 feet from the group. Glad to hear you were not hurt. I took one small piece of fiberglass in the face...thankfully not in the eye. Check our the pictures.
    P1010025_01.jpgP1010024_01.jpg

This is just sad. I owned an '07 Guardian for a while....it was a good bow.

The simple answer is yes. Many people who have owned Bowtech's have had them blow up in their face.

This just reminds me why Bowtech doesn't worry about trivial things like flaking limbs. They simply are grateful that they aren't cracking and blowing up.

I have owned and shot a lot of Bowtech bows and never have had any issues, not even one.

I would wager that most of these bows and the problems is due to using the wrong press at one time or another. Very easy to cause excessive stress with the wrong press. This would cause the slight stress fracture and would show up later causing the limbs to fall.
    Last edited by ontarget7; October 16th, 2012 at 07:45 AM.
    >>-----------> OT7 CUSTOM BOW TUNING <-----------<<
    GIVING YOU TRUE ARROW FLIGHT WITH GUARANTEED RESULTS
    www.facebook.com/OnTarget7Shane
    970-301-0706

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks View Post
    thats bs
    It's not bs. Even Mathews tells you to take a few turns off the limb bolts before pressing their bows. I've seen the same warnings on Mission, as well. Also, using the wrong press will cause the limbs to crack and then explode later on when you draw it.

I have been shooting at a shop that is pretty much just bowtech and have only saw one bow come in that had blew up. It was a General and he was shooting a 320 grain arrow at 72#. Now I know they have their issues but I just do not understand how in the last 7 years I can only see one with this problem and come on here and see where 100's have had this issue. Granted there could have been more than one but not very many bought the general when it came out over this way.
    2014 Bowtech Carbon Overdrive, HHA, Limbdriver Pro V, AEP, Goldtip Ultralight, Stan Element

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast