Thread: Serving types...advantages vs. disadvantages

Serving types...advantages vs. disadvantages

I have searched for the answer myself but it seems this forum only goes back so far so my search is a tad limited (or perhaps I am wording my search wrong...)

Automan's string jig post has got my wheels turning on building my own string. While I understand the actual string fibers pretty well (I have always used 452X strings), I am a bit confused about the different serving materials. There is different thinkness, material, etc. that has me a bit perplexed on what to use when, where, and why.

I understand that the thread diameter of serving is important for end servings (cam grooves) and center serving (nock pinch)....but actual the actual advantages vs. disadvantages of each material is confusing

I have heard people using various serving types for the end servings...I have had 3D and Halo served string and personally cannot tell the difference myself (given the limited interest I took in it before now...)

Thanks for everyone who has posted a plethora of useful info in getting someone like myself interested in this endeavor.

God Bless
    Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Genesis 27:3

2011 LH Bowtech Black Ops Assassin, Spot-Hogg SDP7, QAD HDX rest, Fuse Connexion 6.5 stab

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmz View Post
    I have searched for the answer myself but it seems this forum only goes back so far so my search is a tad limited (or perhaps I am wording my search wrong...)

Automan's string jig post has got my wheels turning on building my own string. While I understand the actual string fibers pretty well (I have always used 452X strings), I am a bit confused about the different serving materials. There is different thinkness, material, etc. that has me a bit perplexed on what to use when, where, and why.

I understand that the thread diameter of serving is important for end servings (cam grooves) and center serving (nock pinch)....but actual the actual advantages vs. disadvantages of each material is confusing

I have heard people using various serving types for the end servings...I have had 3D and Halo served string and personally cannot tell the difference myself (given the limited interest I took in it before now...)

Thanks for everyone who has posted a plethora of useful info in getting someone like myself interested in this endeavor.

God Bless
    Hello rhythmz:

BCY Halo is top of the line, a little pricey,
    used where you need durability.

BCY 3D is a little less in cost, not as durable
    if you have a high wear area.
    www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

alanlui@comcast.net

Generally the price determines the best servings. Yes, as you noted the smaller serving work better in smaller grooves. Generally, The halo is slicker and will work in the cam grooves better.. It produces more tension and maintains it roundness better in the cam grooves. I had a single cam bow that had a warped limb. I put 3D serving on the cable end of the cam. The rub was so bad that the serving was breaking after 50 shots. Under the same conditions .014 halo lasted 450 shots. Although it had not broke, I replaced it for a contest. I replaced it with Angel Majestic .015. The cable lasted another 500 shots before the limb was fixed and that same cable is on the bow today. Unfortunately, Angel Majestic is the best serving I have ever used, but it creates more problems with peep sight rotation.
    If I was doing string for myself, I might consider 3D only because I get tired of the string colors and want to do something else. But, if I am warrenty and making strings for sale, I want to use good material. So, I use Halo on all my strings and Angel Majestic on the cable cam serving of single cams. I don't like to have to replace strings and neither does the customer.
    Last edited by Deezlin; September 20th, 2012 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deezlin View Post
    Generally the price determines the best servings. Yes, as you noted the smaller serving work better in smaller grooves. Generally, The halo is slicker and will work in the cam grooves better.. It produces more tension and maintains it roundness better in the cam grooves. I had a single cam bow that had a warped limb. I put 3D serving on the cable end of the cam. The rub was so bad that the serving was breaking after 50 shots. Under the same conditions .014 halo lasted 450 shots. Although it had not broke, I replaced it for a contest. I replaced it with Angel Majestic .015. The cable lasted another 500 shots before the limb was fixed and that same cable is on the bow today. Unfortunately, Angel Majestic is the best serving I have ever used, but it creates more problems with peep sight rotation.
    If I was doing string for myself, I might consider 3D only because I get tired of the string colors and want to do something else. But, if I am warrenty and making strings for sale, I want to use good material. So, I use Halo on all my strings and Angel Majestic on the cable cam serving of single cams. I don't like to have to replace strings and neither does the customer.
    Spot on information
    2010 Elite Z28
    Spot Hogg Hunter Hogg-It
    B-Stinger X-treme, Tightspot
    Black River Bowstrings
    KCCO

I have heard BYC 2x is holding up just as good as halo and is almost half the price. Anybody have personal experance with the 2x?

maybe I missed it but what are you recommending for center serving and what diameter.
    2011 BOWTECH ASSASSIN 29.5" 61#
    Harvest Time Havester .400
    MUZZY MX3 100 and Grim Reaper 1 3/8" 100gr Razortip
    EASTON TRACER NOCK
    Double D's Custom Bowstring

The best center serving is Angel Magesty. It hold up much better than any of the others. I've used a variety of other serving thread over the years and they all deformed. AM has stayed round for me at least as long as I care to shoot the string.

For end serving, Deezlin's advice on this as well as other string making questions, is a very reliable. I use halo on the ends and loops, but have never had a wear problem like he descirbed.

Allen

I've been using halo for my center servings, but was unaware that it was a better end serving material than the 2S and 3D I've been using. I'll be darned and will pick up a spool of the .014 to try it on the end servings.

I've only made strings for my recurve and longbow so far, tho, so the 3D has been fine for those so far. But if I make strings for other folks or ever for compounds, I'll take that advice for sure and use Halo.

I've never tried the Angel Majesty either...

LS

Thanks, but which serving should I use for each serving (center & end servings). Can I use Halo for both center AND end serving? Is price the only selling point for 3D if it is not as durable as Halo? It seems that I have seen each string maker used a combo of both and not necessarily in the same locations.

I shoot compound only and will start with 2-color strings until I get the hang of it before I move onto making my own solid color strings which I prefer. I know it is a matter of preference no matter what but I want stability and longevity. As with most things archery, the higher price usually dictates a higher quality....
    Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Genesis 27:3

2011 LH Bowtech Black Ops Assassin, Spot-Hogg SDP7, QAD HDX rest, Fuse Connexion 6.5 stab

I use Halo .014 for hard wear areas on certain bows or on the bottom end serving on single cam bows. I use 62XS for center serving and 3d for other end servings unless customer requests all halo
    2010 Elite Z28
    Spot Hogg Hunter Hogg-It
    B-Stinger X-treme, Tightspot
    Black River Bowstrings
    KCCO

Use the halo for all your serving..i do halo .007 for my loops,.014 for my end servings and idler servings,.007 for roller gaurds and center depends on your string strand count and material..452 x or trophy 20 strand string i use .018 and 22 strand strings i use. 017....halo normally on center but if i sub it then i usually use 62xs...the only time i use 3d anymore is for when i do a string with colored serving,only because the 3d has better color quality than halo
    Bowhunter for hire...you supply the land,i supply the freezer full of venison!

the biggest difference between halo and 3d id that 3d is twisted together and halo is braided so the halo will stay round and hold up better and not flatten out. halo is only needed in places where there is high stress like buss cables but it depends on the bow but most of the time 3d will work fine for a string because a string dont have no where near the stress as the cables

AM is the best for center serving. I did not have any peep issues the few times I used it for track servings but I usually like Halo 014. I also have never had any issues with 3D but I like the slick feel of Halo for track serving.
    Jim Quarles

Illegitimus non Carborundum

I like Crown and 62XS for centers, Halo for cable ends (Angel Majesty for hard bends and cams that are prone to wearing out serving) and 3d for most string ends.
    Albemarle Archery Custom Shop
    Custom String, tuning and more!
    Dealer for Xpedition Archery