Thread: Homemade cover scent?

Homemade cover scent?

Just wondering if anyone on here has experimented with making their own cover scent? Right now I put all my clothes in a tote and I have cedar ships wrapped up in cheesecloth that I keep in the tote as well. Once I run out of Scent-Away that I had from last year, I am going to boil some cedar chips and use the water for cover scent. Just curious if anyone does this and has had any luck with it. So far I have not been busted this year (yet). We will see what happens once I start using the cedar water.

Genesis 27:3.
    2012 Bowtech Assassin. 85 grain slick tricks.
    Missouri Army National Guard 12C 2009-present.

I tried this last week seems to work ..I took some kind of smelly weeds from my hunting area and a bunch of the green stuff off a cedar tree and distiled water,, I guess you could use rain water etc,,...and then boiled it all together for a bit...strain in though a coffee filter or paper towel ...put it in a spray bottle ...It smells pretty strong ,,I can't see why it would not help ..
    It's all about what tracks a man leaves as well as his prey..

Quote Originally Posted by ftshooter View Post
    I tried this last week seems to work ..I took some kind of smelly weeds from my hunting area and a bunch of the green stuff off a cedar tree and distiled water,, I guess you could use rain water etc,,...and then boiled it all together for a bit...strain in though a coffee filter or paper towel ...put it in a spray bottle ...It smells pretty strong ,,I can't see why it would not help ..
    Learned this in S Africa and it works great.front view buffelo.jpgbuffelo dung cover scent.jpgleft this.
    It was dry of course. As long as it was burning the animals around the water hole stayed. As soon as it burned out all the animals scattered. The indians covered their scent with camp fire smoke.
    Jim Litmer VP Sales www.thirdhandarchery.com 1-800-339-0232
    International customers please order by email thirdhandinc@twc.com

The original Made in the USA

"Hunt safe today, so you can hunt again tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by thirdhandman View Post
    Learned this in S Africa and it works great.front view buffelo.jpgbuffelo dung cover scent.jpgleft this.
    It was dry of course. As long as it was burning the animals around the water hole stayed. As soon as it burned out all the animals scattered. The indians covered their scent with camp fire smoke.
    Man's that's some hotsh*t
    United Bowhunters of New Jersey
    "If it doesn't have big antlers or gobble, I don't hunt it"

The day i burn a turd in a stand to cover my scent is the day I sell my stuff and only fish from here on out.

i took the ceder berries and boil them in water. works pretty good. or maybe i should just buy gin, smells the same haha

Me and my dad grind leaves and acorns in a blender add water then finely strain it off. Keep it refridgerated or it will go bad but it's unreal how much it helps. Plus it's cheap so you can dowse everything heavy with it. We're gonna try boiling it this year instead.
    <------------((((
    SILENT ASSASSIN

Quote Originally Posted by cholt1986 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone on here has experimented with making their own cover scent? Right now I put all my clothes in a tote and I have cedar ships wrapped up in cheesecloth that I keep in the tote as well. Once I run out of Scent-Away that I had from last year, I am going to boil some cedar chips and use the water for cover scent. Just curious if anyone does this and has had any luck with it. So far I have not been busted this year (yet). We will see what happens once I start using the cedar water.
    I have not made my own scent, but I do use the cedar chips and pieces in my totes. I make bags from screen and fill them with cedar chips and I take cedar planks and drill a bunch of holes in them and throw them in my bags or totes sometimes. I also use apple wood or pine...whatever i find on the property. And to Thirdhandman's post...when i'm hunting near the cow pastures...I will usually get my boots nice and coated on my way through... but I don't smoke the ****!! LOL

Good idea on the distilled water. I didn't think about that. My tap water has chlorine in it which they could smell for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jlh42581 View Post
    The day i burn a turd in a stand to cover my scent is the day I sell my stuff and only fish from here on out.
    same here
    2014 Bear Agenda 7
    - Spot Hogg Hogg-It Wrapped 5 Pin Sight
    - Trophy Ridge Revolution 2.0 Rest
    - Trophy Ridge 9" Static Stab /w Doinker QD
    - Trophy Ridge Arrow Cage Quiver

Take some pine needles from pine trees and boil them in water and strain. This works as a good cover scent and you can also use it as an herbal tea as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *2013 Obsession Sniper LT

Forgot to mention it may not taste the best if you sip on it 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *2013 Obsession Sniper LT

Eat hard boiled eggs with a side of beans for breakfast. Sourdough pretzels while on stand, the "cover scent" will astonish you!

Quote Originally Posted by escout402 View Post
    Eat hard boiled eggs with a side of beans for breakfast. Sourdough pretzels while on stand, the "cover scent" will astonish you!
    Prob would be perfect cover scent for bears lol.
    Prodigy Outdoor Productions
    Chasing Maryland Monsters

Bringing this one back to the top to see if anyone else has any other methods.
    <------------((((
    SILENT ASSASSIN

Take activated carbon fish filter and grind up the carbon. Mix 1 tablespoon of grounds with 1 gal of distilled water. Shake it up then transfer to another jug with a paper towel as a filter.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt561 View Post
    Take activated carbon fish filter and grind up the carbon. Mix 1 tablespoon of grounds with 1 gal of distilled water. Shake it up then transfer to another jug with a paper towel as a filter.
    Where do you get this fish filter?
    <------------((((
    SILENT ASSASSIN

You can get those fish filters at wal-mart.... the carbon in those filters is probably plain old charcoal. I could be wrong though. It sure does resemble it. It would be a heck of alot cheaper to just buy a bag of charcoal (if it worked) than to buy those filters.