Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best <$350 compound bow for beginner

Best <$350 compound bow for beginner

Hey everyone,

Im 21 years old, have shot my dad's Mathews Solo Cam only a handful of times, and was thinking about getting into the hobby.
    The bow would be used strictly for target shooting, for now. However, the bow does not have to be specifically a target or competition shooting bow.

What bow, under $350, do you guys recommend i look into?
    As of now, I have my sights set on a PSE Stinger 3G @ $299 (bow only)

Also, what accessories do I need/should get, at a bare minimum?

Thanks everyone!

The mathews drenalin is a great bow and can be found here in the classifieds in your price range with accessories. It is a very smooth drawing bow and good brace height that is very forgiving......

you will get a mixed bag here. go shoot a bunch of bows and look on the classifieds on here and find the deal for the bow you enjoyed shooting the most.
    2012 Rytera Nemesis -- Limbsaver Windjammer 7" Stabilizer -- Sword Twilight Hunter -- QAD HD Bone Collector Drop Away Rest-- Beman ICS Hunter Elite 438 Grains -- Broad heads: QAD Exodus Swept Back & G5 T3!

Thanks guys, ill check out the Matthews drenalin

I have been looking through the classifieds.

I would not buy a new bow. You can get a good used bow in the classifieds much cheaper
    11 Dream Season Evo, Crackers strings and tune, 65lbs, 27.5dl, 370gr, 298fps

I read that it is unwise to buy a used bow. What is the consensus on this from the experienced shooters here?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I read that it is unwise to buy a used bow. What is the consensus on this from the experienced shooters here?
    id say that the person who made that statement had a bad experience buying used. there are 1,000's of buyers who have bought used with no issues.
    2012 Rytera Nemesis -- Limbsaver Windjammer 7" Stabilizer -- Sword Twilight Hunter -- QAD HD Bone Collector Drop Away Rest-- Beman ICS Hunter Elite 438 Grains -- Broad heads: QAD Exodus Swept Back & G5 T3!

Definetly check out used bows on here, you will get way more bow for your money. Any new bow for under 350 is not going to be very good. Mathews and hoyts are always solid bows and you can find one a few years old in that price range

As a beginner I'd say you would be better off with a new bow that has plenty of adjustment on the draw length.

I like the idea of buying used and getting a pretty decent bow for a good price, but as i stated, I am a newbie and will not be entering any competitions any time soon.
    Ill just be shooting a few times a week in the evenings at 20-50 yds.

Also, is there some type of search function in the classifieds to sort by price. I do not know every model by every brand of bow and its
    hard to estimate the price based on the thread title.

I just bought a mathews DXT for 350 from a guy on here. Its in perfect condition. He also packed it very very nice. Theres not a stratch on the bow at all. I wouldnt listen to what people say about buying a used bow. Just make sure you communicate well with them. You can find a 2009 model bow for 350 easy. Fun and expensive hobby though get out the check book lol

Take a look at the Mission by Matthews line of bows for your price of bow only. There is nothing wrong with buying a used bow if you know what you are getting.

Yeah your right, Im sure 99.9% of the guys/girls selling on here are not trying to swindle anyone. Im still looking through the classifieds.

I race nitro RC cars so i know all about an expensive hobby ha. It adds up quick!

Thanks suggesting the Mission line of bows. Had not previously heard of them but i know Mathews is a top of the line company.
    Im sure Mission is as high quality.

youve already picked it out the stinger is a great choice

Im about 90% sure i will go with the Stinger. Ive read nothing but good things about it as an entry and intermediate level bow.

...now for the sight, rest, etc. ..
    Do you guys know any gems of online stores where i can look for accesories?

buy the sights and rest etc here for half the price of new

Try and shoot different bows before you buy. Unfortunately, many new shooters will over-buy on a new bow. There are many folks on here that will bash a bow because it is not what they shoot. Don't listen to them. Make your choice by shooting different bows. I shoot Bowtech. For the previous 22 years, I shot Hoyts. Why? Because the bow line felt best to me. There is no one perfect bow. However, there is a best choice for you out there. Don't rush. Take our time and learn as you go. Ask guys why they shoot their particular bow. Also, learn from the mistakes of others. What regrets do others have with their current bow choice.
    Good luck and have fun with it.
    Yes, I'm a Dinosaur....
    Heavy draw weight, and fixed blade broadheads. No one ever complains about over penetration.
    Insanity CPXL 72#; TradTech Titan III 64", 55# @ 29"
    Fedora 560 Takedown 62", 48# @ 28", (For sale)

Thanks for the help Bill. I do plan on learning as much as I can before I make a decision.

I've purchased two used bows from here and couldn't be happier. The stories you here are few by comparison.

feedback is one thing to look at but I generally look at the posts the person makes. It's real easy to determine the character of a person based on what they write....do they help out, do they offer constructive criticism or do they do they nit pick and attack. Do they argue with others? All indicators of if you can trust them.
    USA Level 2 Instructor
    2012 PSE Supra ME, 47#, 30",ACC- 390's Davis sight, FITA ring,
    Win-Win Inno Carbon Riser/Tropics 36#(38 tof), Redline arrows 690- DS Advantage-282grn@ 195fps
    2010 Hoyt Vantage Pro, XT 2000, Sprls, Sure Loc W BE 6X, ACC's 408g @ 259

If your budget is $350 and you spend that on the bow, you better learn to finger shoot from instinct! I have spent more money on "dressing" than on my bow! Unless you find an amazing deal on a complete used bow, you need to avoid all the brand hype on here and look at a complete package from a reputable shop that iwll support and tune the kit for you!

You can get a PSE Stinger 3G Ready to shoot(With all accessories.) For right around $350! Great bow for both beginner and all levels of archery!
    Dealer of N.E. DIY Dip Kits By Dip Wizard $94.99 free shipping!
    Staff shooter...PSE ...Black Eagle Pro Staff...DOINKER Stabilizers... www.doinker.com"Like" My Fan Page on FaceBook! "North East Diy Dip Kit"

I'd buy used in a heartbeat if I found the bow I was looking for at a decent price. Most companies have a great warranty and stand behind their bows and most bows really don't get shot that much. I've bought several used bows and haven't been disappointed with any of them.

Hey everyone,

Im 21 years old, have shot my dad's Mathews Solo Cam only a handful of times, and was thinking about getting into the hobby.
    The bow would be used strictly for target shooting, for now. However, the bow does not have to be specifically a target or competition shooting bow.

What bow, under $350, do you guys recommend i look into?
    As of now, I have my sights set on a PSE Stinger 3G @ $299 (bow only)

Also, what accessories do I need/should get, at a bare minimum?

Thanks everyone!
    Hello Heisenberg:

Can you have a friend take a measurement?

Put on a shirt with buttons.
    Stand up straight.

Arms horizontal...back against the wall.
    Shoulders down and natural.
    Arms relaxed....do not stretch sideways..

arms just like an airplane.

Bend your wrist.

Have your friend measure from the button on your shirt to the crease where your wrist bends.

What is this measurement?

Depending on your measurement...

I have some "extra bows" that may fit you.
    www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

alanlui@comcast.net

shoot sevravl differnt bow in your price range till you find the one that feel good or comfortable and there nothing wrong with a used bow ive gotin great deals over the year on used bows... good luck and happy hunting new or used bow that is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast