Thread: Question about bowhunting in NY gun season

Question about bowhunting in NY gun season

I am going to NY to hunt this year during rifle season. I was fortunate enough to draw a doe permit for the zone I will be at. I would like to take a bow along, my thought is if I get my first deer when I am there with a rifle I will try to take the second one with my bow. Do I need an archery license for this or can I just use my regular hunting license?

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way (s)he should go: and when (s)he is old, (s)he will not depart from it.

Archery Season ends when rifle season begins then it re opens again after rifle season is over. You can't bow hunt during rifle season in NY. If you are hunting both seasons rifle and archery the answer is Yes, you need a Archery "stamp" to Bow hunt in NY. You can use a bow during muzzle loading season. That comes after rifle.
    2006 Bowtech Tribute 60#, Cracker String, Posten, STS, QAD HD , HHA 2x, Limbsaver, Bohning, Bocomo, Kissx, G5, Crackerized, Max-4.
    2011 K&K Vengeance 60#, Breathn String, SS1, QAD HD, HHA 2x, Limb Saver, Bohning, Ridgerunner, Kissx, G5, Tuned by Breathn , Black Out.

Why you leaving VA to come up here? I am gonna go down to my cousins place in Goochland and my friends place in Louisa this year... pleanty of deer in VA.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk517 View Post
    Why you leaving VA to come up here? I am gonna go down to my cousins place in Goochland and my friends place in Louisa this year... pleanty of deer in VA.
    Why are you leaving Long Island to hunt VA? Huge bucks in the Hamptons! Good luck in VA!
    2006 Bowtech Tribute 60#, Cracker String, Posten, STS, QAD HD , HHA 2x, Limbsaver, Bohning, Bocomo, Kissx, G5, Crackerized, Max-4.
    2011 K&K Vengeance 60#, Breathn String, SS1, QAD HD, HHA 2x, Limb Saver, Bohning, Ridgerunner, Kissx, G5, Tuned by Breathn , Black Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones444 View Post
    Archery Season ends when rifle season begins then it re opens again after rifle season is over. You can't bow hunt during rifle season in NY. If you are hunting both seasons rifle and archery the answer is Yes, you need a Archery "stamp" to Bow hunt in NY. You can use a bow during muzzle loading season. That comes after rifle.
    Your information is incorrect....you are allowed to bow hunt during the regular season.

Bowhunting opportunities include both the regular and archery seasons. Residents may use a bow to take legally antlered deer and bear during the regular season provided the taker possesses both a valid Big Game license and either a current bowhunting privilege or a valid bowhunter education certificate. Residents may take deer of either sex during the archery season provided the taker possesses a Big Game license and bowhunting privilege, or a Junior Archery license. Refer to Bag Limits above for information on hunting with a bow during regular and archery seasons.
    2012 Elite Answer, HHA sight, QAD rest, Tightspot quiver, Torqueless grip, Ridgerunner sling, Stokerized 8" Hunter stabilizer, custom threads by Insight Archery, ACC Pro Hunters, Scott Sabertooth release, Slick Trick Magnum broadheads.

2012 Elite Answer, HHA sight, QAD rest, Tightspot quiver, Torqueless grip, Ridgerunner sling, Stokerized 8" Hunter stabilizer, custom threads by Insight Archery, ACC Pro Hunters, Scott Sabertooth release, Slick Trick Magnum broadheads.

Thanks for the info. I am going to hunt VA first then NY over Thanksgiving. I am from Chautauqua county so I am really looking forward to returning for deer season.
    Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way (s)he should go: and when (s)he is old, (s)he will not depart from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite fanboy View Post
    Your information is incorrect....you are allowed to bow hunt during the regular season.

Bowhunting opportunities include both the regular and archery seasons. Residents may use a bow to take legally antlered deer and bear during the regular season provided the taker possesses both a valid Big Game license and either a current bowhunting privilege or a valid bowhunter education certificate. Residents may take deer of either sex during the archery season provided the taker possesses a Big Game license and bowhunting privilege, or a Junior Archery license. Refer to Bag Limits above for information on hunting with a bow during regular and archery seasons.
    I stand partially corrected. It states that Residents may use a bow to take a legally antlered deer... The OP is not a resident and must be sure he does not shoot a doe with the bow during the regular season. If I were the OP I would call the NYDEC to be sure of the rules.

I think I will take the advice and give the DEC a call. I know I am good taking both with a rifle, just thought I might mox it up a little. I definitely do not want to do anything illegal.

Why are you leaving Long Island to hunt VA? Huge bucks in the Hamptons! Good luck in VA!

I plan on filling my buck and either sex tag in october and how many does can I shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
    I think I will take the advice and give the DEC a call. I know I am good taking both with a rifle, just thought I might mox it up a little. I definitely do not want to do anything illegal.

Good idea.
    I was searching and they do not make it clear for nonresident hunters.
    Pretty hard to figure out, just like our NYS income tax returns!
    I'm thinking you'll have to purchase a bowhunting privilege.

As mentioned above, I would call DEC for a definite answer. If you hunt with a bow during rifle season, you will need to use your rifle or doe tag. You cannot shoot a deer during rifle season and put either of your bow/muzzleloader tags on it. And yes, you will need your bow license.

In the Hunting And Trapping Guide it states under non resident bowhunting, " Privileges: Hunt deer only with a bow during bowhunting seasons. Includes the regular season in West Chester County (WMU 3S) and Suffolk County (WMU 1C).
    Pantera 70# 28"

Quote Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
    I am going to NY to hunt this year during rifle season. I was fortunate enough to draw a doe permit for the zone I will be at. I would like to take a bow along, my thought is if I get my first deer when I am there with a rifle I will try to take the second one with my bow. Do I need an archery license for this or can I just use my regular hunting license?

They way I've interpreted the rules in NY.....if you use your bow during Regular season(aka Gun Season), you do not have to purchase an archery license. BUT, you do have to possess a valid bowhunter safety certificate.

Obviously, you have to follow the rules of gun season....meaning you can only shoot a buck with your bow UNLESS you have a doe permit(which you do).

Quote Originally Posted by NYSBowman View Post
    They way I've interpreted the rules in NY.....if you use your bow during Regular season(aka Gun Season), you do not have to purchase an archery license. BUT, you do have to possess a valid bowhunter safety certificate.

Obviously, you have to follow the rules of gun season....meaning you can only shoot a buck with your bow UNLESS you have a doe permit(which you do).
    I believe this is the correct answer.

Wrong, you can use a bow during the regular season. You can't fill your bow/ML tag but you can absolutely hunt with a bow, I do it a lot.

Bowhunting
    Bowhunting opportunities include both the regular and archery seasons. Residents may use a bow to take legally antlered deer and bear during the regular season provided the taker possesses both a valid Big Game license and either a current bowhunting privilege or a valid bowhunter education certificate.
    From
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html
    Steve K