a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: 2012 Parker Challenger Crossbow ....Delamination

2012 Parker Challenger Crossbow ....Delamination

I recently purchased the new Parker Challenger crossbow for my fiance to hunt with. It was very accurate, compact and user friendly. It is only 2 weeks old shot about 40 bolts and has been on about 8 hunts. This morning I decided to take it out since the fair weather hunter was sleeping and I am updating the PSE Vendetta XS. As I am sitting in the blind I am beginning to hear noises coming from the left limb and or string I couldn't tell. However I did notice that the cables were installed in the same slot on the guide. I figured the noise was an unhappy cable, so I went to the house and took pictures video etc. of this cable issue. I took the bow apart and fixed the cable guide then took it out to check the scope. I double checked everything and followed Parkers video on their website for proper assembly. On the fourth cock the noise came back....then the rest is history.....Delamination. It delammed before I shot, I took my time trying to diagnose the noise since I was about to hand it back to my fiance. Luckily I watched it delaminate instead of it happening in one of our faces. My question is.....Could this limb failure be from the cable issue that the archery shop created at assembly. I had this bow cranked up to 150 lbs...spacers out and used the supplied bolts..everything Parker said to do.Looking for any input so I know who to call first.(Looks like ill be knocking the dust off old Darton Magnum 33)

Thanks
    Andrew

Attached Images Attached Images

And I am not afraid of constructive criticism.

I will be honest. I think Parker should have done more R&D on the Challenger before releasing it. I have seen 2 come apart with the spacers removed. Both heads were replaced by Parker and they requested the damaged heads be sent back to them for evaluation. When reinstalling both new heads we took the spacers out and immediately noticed that the new heads had larger rockers then the damaged ones. 1 damaged head appeared to have no rockers, and the other had very tiny rockers. Not sure if your Challenger suffered from the same problem or not. Take it back to the shop you bought it from and have them call Parker. Or you can call Parker your self and talk with them.

Where did you buy it from?
    Athens Accomplice 32
    29.5"/ 60 lbs
    Athens Factory Staff

Team 26: Double Lung Deerdevils

This happened to a guy Friday here in Michigan. He had bought the Challenger previously for his sons, and were sighting it in. They were going up north that night for the Saturday Youth hunt opener and the right limb had gave out. He bought the bow a Cabelas, and they would have replaced it, but called Parker to see what they could do.

Parker set up a front end change at his local Gander Mountain, where the bow was not even purchased. They had the front end changed out in 15 minutes, and were able to make it up north for the opener.

I know this limb problem was something that Parker should have discovered during R&D, but they all have their problems when it come to limbs it seems like.

I would cay that the Customer Service they recieved was "WORLD CLASS"! I'm not sure there is any other company that could have arranged that front end change any faster. I hope they get a handle on the problem limbs soon, because I have shot that bow, and is one that I have referred several guys to for their kids and small framed archers. There have been no problems yet that I am aware of.

Give Parker a call, they may be able to arrange the same "WORLD CLASS" Customer Service that was recieved by this gentleman and his son.
    U.S.A.F. Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Sounds good guys .....As a mechanical engineer I always value a good opinion(educated one and education is experience). This bow had tiny rockers which surprised me....and the fact that this thing sat full cocked for about 24 hours worth of hunting before failing made me question the "new for 2012".. I think I will ship it to Parker since I leave for Michigan Tuesday morning by time i get back the gatekeeper will have the compound and X ready to hit the food plot. To me it was clearly stress failure..and thats to bad cause for as compact as this unit is its hard to look past it. Thanks for the input greatly appreciated...will take all others

Theres a few threads already about the challenger. i will say it again this is a kids xbow and things dont look good. They never told me of a re-design or parts change. Does anyone know if theres been a re-call. ? I hope no one gets hurt. Parker whats goin on?????

I agree....Thank the Lord no one was hurt when this happened. If my fiance was in the stand when this happened I would probably make a personal appearance at Parker to let them know they have a problem(in a professional manner). If you're gonna design a bow for the kids and/or ladies you best be making it bulletproof. No man wants to let the things he protects come across danger...And when you take money out of your paycheck to make them happy, and it turns on them thats a serious problem. I am confident Parker will resurrect this incident...I will let you know the outcome indifferent or otherwise.

That pic looks exactly like what happened to our crossbow while my son was holding it cocked on Wednesday. Called Parkers customer service got voice mail. Left message no callback. Next day left email with message to call me with all particulars. Still no callback. I've heard their customer service is great but maybe they were on vacation last week. Going to try again tomorrow. Archery season almost over here in SC and this is the only thing the kids want to hunt with.

Another parker bow problem. Amazing

not to reassuring....I was under the impression Parker was great....Hope they stand up to it otherwise ill be their next dreaded repeat caller....and visitor.

well i too have just bought this crossbow and at the 16th shot ------crrrrraaaack.i did not take a picture of it but if i had it would look EXACTLY like the one posted.i took it back to the sports shop and they said that they havent seen that happen and gave me a new set of limbs.now, when i do a search i find this problem everywhere.one poster said that when he talked to parker they knew they had a problem in the earlier limbs but the later ones are ok.mine was bought 30 days ago and the serial number on the new limbs are less that the original ones.so im not feeling good about this at all.i also called and emailed the company but nothing yet.when i bought this for my wife i looked at the short limbs and asked how they figure that something that short could withstand the pressures exerted on it and still be good 3 years later,he said "parker spends xxxxxxon r&d and if its on the market its good" so i bought it.now i do belive s$it happens and sometimes you gotta go back to the drawing board, i just hope that they make these others good. however this weekend starts our season and i realy need it to hold together for at least a month .well see.

Send it over to Bowtech, they are absolute pros at fixxing limb delaminations they have been known to specialize in this area year after year.
    Mathews MR7 orange smoke
    Strykezone 380 Xb30 scope, Matrix 380
    Scorpyd Velocity, Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 50 scope, 22" Exacutioner arrows
    Scorpyd Orion, Leupold VX6 2 x 12 42 scope, 22'' Exacutioner arrows

well i called wednesday and left another message,and today they called back.they told me that there are NO recalls and he didnt seem to know of any problems with these seperating at all.i did mention to do a search and see what he found but he didnt seem intrested in that.if this is happening at 75 degrees im wondering whats going to happen at 30.i asked if this keeps happening if we can get a refund and he said that was up to the dealer i bought it from.if limbs kept breaking in the same place bow after bow,i believe i would be investigating it.any body else call or did you just get it fixed where you bought it?just wondering

It is not just the Challenger, This is a Parker Buck Buster. Look familiar?

holy smokes,,how new is that,-----and yes it does look familiar,unfortunatly!!!

It had less than 30 shots when that happened.

Yep, Parkers the first to ever have limb problems.
    Parker Inferno
    Parker Raptor

Had the same problem with the one a bought for my kids. Right limb came apart.

Had my second challenger explode this past weekend. Bought my son a wicked ridge this time. Someone is going to get hurt by one of these Parker's....

looks like bowtech and parker have merged now lol
    John 3:16
    Matrix 380

Yes several posts on this. My first limb cracked during spring gobbler and luckily shop owner (friend) got it fixed thru Parker (had to use his personal bow though to finsih turkey hunting). Since that time several have broken from his store. One was the second set of a girl in her stand the opening day of archery. My second just cracked Sat. so couldn't use it the last 1 1/2 days of our archery season. At the shop there were 4 with broken limbs that came in in the 2 days I hadn't gone to his shop plus a fifth that had broke and the shop owner had got a front end in for someone else but that person said to go ahead and put it on his. So personally from this shop is 11 that I know off plus another member on the other side of the state is on his second set. Another archery shop 30 miles from here keeps one or two on hand as they have a lot of breakage too.
    Was told by a shop owner who said he had been told by someone from Parker (I know so hearsay) that they weren't to be used with the spacers removed. Parker denied that when I contacted them plus said their failure rate was very low (someone else had posted they only had 15 failures out of 5000 bows). Just recently from the above people too (so hearsay again) plus others I've heard it from is that Parker is redoing or redesigning the limbs. Why redesign if there's no problem??
    Well I'll get off my soap box but there is a problem and sooner or later a kid is going to be hurt.
    btw, almost all I've heard or seen has been the right limb but now hearing the left limb a few times. Also have only heard of a few breaking at the 125# weight.
    Maybe jumping the gun but maybe the BBB needs contacted?

The issue is certainly not limited to Parker or any other bow for that matter. All brands that I know of, including verticals suffer from the delamination delima. Now frequency is another matter and we should all track trends (and the manufacturer response) for our consumer knowledge.

I assume Parker customer service will take care of this satisfactorily. Please let us all know if they don't.

Don't know why they don't just make them with split limbs to begin with. Seems like that is what they want to be. Not sure those limbs, or even the infamous Bowtech limbs, are actually laminated, but limb failures these days always seem to be called delamination.
    DTM 355 SS walnut stock, Leupold VX 1 1-4 heavy duplex
    DTM 330 Swamp Donky Long Magnum, Redfield Revenge
    BEEs, Laser 2 Pros, Slick Tricks, Ramcats.

Quote Originally Posted by JOE PA View Post
    Don't know why they don't just make them with split limbs to begin with. Seems like that is what they want to be. Not sure those limbs, or even the infamous Bowtech limbs, are actually laminated, but limb failures these days always seem to be called delamination.
    well they actually do need to go to the split limbs. I've not heard of any of the new tornados or gale force busting limbs since they went to a heavy split limb system on them. Thats what they need on all their bows instead of trying to make everything cheap. I know we need budget bows out there but if they can't make them to hold together they are not much of a bargain.
    John 3:16
    Matrix 380

send in the front end they will put new limbs they do have issues with there limbs i think its been fixed now .
    hoyt
    true ball