Thread: How much "brush in" for a ground blind?

How much "brush in" for a ground blind?

How much should i brush in my pop-up ground blind? Anyone have a picture of a successful example? How late is too late to put it out? Thanks!

just use you surrounding limbs like evergreen or oak, just dont overdo it to where you cant shoot out, just try to break up the corners

How long should i let it set before i hunt it?

If the deer can see it for a ways don't even worry about brushing it in... I have mine by a piece of farm equipment in the middle of the field next to my food plot and have no brush on it and the deer walk within 25 yds on a regular basis... I set it out 4 days before I hunted it... If they are going to be suprised by it like around a tight corner or in a thicket then I would brush the corners to breakup the outline like levih said... Good luck and enjoy the rush of ground hunting...
    Alpha Elite"Red Fusion"
    Carbon Element" Max1 Edition"
    Red Fusion Vantage Elite.
    Blacked out Vantage elite

Let me find pics.

In my area if it's not perfect the deer will pick it off 200 yds. away so I have to make it pretty well hidden. I can't leave it out as it would surely be stolen but when I did leave it out and deer got used to it they would walk right by. I've set up by a big round bale, hunted it right away and they never noticed much. Every place seems to be different so you just have to try it and see, but time is on your side. If you can leave it out long enough they should get used to it providing you don't get spotted using it.

Excellent advice guys! Keep it coming

On my pop-ups that I leave out all season, I take two cattle panels and build a frame. One panel makes a horseshoe shape that sits on its side. The second panel makes a big arch over from one side of the "U" to the other side. I use zip ties to keep the ends up off the ground and the panel in place. I then brush the fire out of the frame. Once it is completely covered I trim out the shooting windows. Once this is started, I can just add new brush each year. After a couple of years worth of brushing, you can remove the blind and pop it back up at any time and it still looks the same from the deer's view.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shortbow, do you have a picture of the frame before the brush? That sounds like a great idea and looks awesome!

my wife just took a 7X6 bull from the top one, also show a second one that no elk come to while it was set

"You can never be too camo'ed" I brush mine in until they're hard to even find...
    General Manager, Vaportrail Archery
    763-862-8870 (Ask for Ears)

Quit your Cryin!
    www.vaportrailarchery.com www.facebook.com/ears1

Quote Originally Posted by Ears View Post
    "You can never be too camo'ed" I brush mine in until they're hard to even find...
    My feelings exactly when hunting deer or other big game. With turkeys it does not matter.
    Venison its whats for dinner
    "BREATHN Tuned" Stevens Prevailer 28.5" DL 70lbs .300 spine Black Eagle Rampages 434 Grain @ 291 FPS. Limb Driver, Hindsight Equalizer, Trophyridge Micro Alpha V5, B-stinger 10.25", Scott Sabertooth, Slicktrick Razortricks and Steelforce Phatheads

I put one at the end of a row of hay bales and the deer never even noticed it. Just looks like another round bale.
    Switchback LD
    32/70

Country boy can Survive

This is the only picture I have of the frame. This was taken after the season and it had only been up for one season so it is not as heavily covered in dead brush as my others. You can see that the back is open and where you carry/set up your blind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The pictures are awesome! Much more helpful than "make sure you brush it in....." Which tends to be the standard advice.

Any other tips?

Quote Originally Posted by jhicks54 View Post
    Any other tips?
    Stake them down on windy days or they will

I've never considered myself a good "brusher" and just started using a ground blind a year or two ago...I think I did a bang up job on this years, but don't have pics of it yet. Here are some of last years. I always like to back mine into a thicket of some sort, whether its a woodsline or in the case of these pics just some downfallen trees, that way I only have to brush in one side of it. I went heavy on the green leaves cause in this downfall right in the middle (backside of blind) there was a large bushy green leaf area.

Core Archery Custom Bow Strings & Tuning www.core-archery.com

Buckeye Pro Shops http://www.buckeyeproshops.com

Black Eagle Arrows http://www.blackeaglearrows.com/

Funny story:
    Buddy set up a GB one afternoon on our elk hunt this year and brushed it all in and then went back not 3 hrs later and could not get into it because there was a herd of 150+ elk some within 20 feet of the blind. He was pretty surprised and got some pics of the elk next to the blind. We never did get to hunt it but he did get an elk that night.

I was a 2 draws over and did not see a single animal that evening. I was quite disapointed cuz I took great care to brush mine all in, spray pre washed it with creek water let it air dry. NUTHIN! LOL
    2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo, Blackout, QAD HDX rest, MBG Accent 3 pin slider, Tight Spot, X rod. Axis 400's. 405.5gr
    2012 Hoyt Vector 32, Epic 340's 425.5gr w/Muzzy mx3, Copper John DN Mark3 5 pin, QAD HXD, X rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Outback Man View Post
    I've never considered myself a good "brusher" and just started using a ground blind a year or two ago...I think I did a bang up job on this years, but don't have pics of it yet. Here are some of last years. I always like to back mine into a thicket of some sort, whether its a woodsline or in the case of these pics just some downfallen trees, that way I only have to brush in one side of it. I went heavy on the green leaves cause in this downfall right in the middle (backside of blind) there was a large bushy green leaf area.

Thats a good set up but correct me if im wrong, The leaves died in like a week.
    "MR. DOE CONTROL"
    -PSE BOWMADNESS-
    -ROSS CARDIAC-
    -B2 BOWSTRINGS-

Quote Originally Posted by connor_93 View Post
    Thats a good set up but correct me if im wrong, The leaves died in like a week.
    Pretty much...those big leaves seemed to keep color a little bit longer, but the ones on the trees were beginning to turn also, so everything ended up staying a similar color on the blind and around it. Even w/them brown and droopy it still had the outline of the blind broken up fairly well, and being in that tree/branch downfall you still couldn't see it from the backside.
    Core Archery Custom Bow Strings & Tuning www.core-archery.com

Buckeye Pro Shops http://www.buckeyeproshops.com

Black Eagle Arrows http://www.blackeaglearrows.com/

Where I am at the deer get very little pressure during bow season. I set a ground blind up right in the center of a trail just to see how they would react. I did nothing more then pop it up and leave it set. I hung a camera off the front of blind and had deer walking around the blind hours after I set it up. I felt that I got the same amount of pics that I would have, had I hung the cam on the trail without impeding the travel path with the blind.
    Give Me My Money, My Guns, And My Freedom!
    You Can Keep The "Change"!
    "Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on what to put on the dinner plate. Liberty is when the lamb is well armed!"
    Molon Labe

Great pictures, outback man! Thus is exactly the type of terrain I'm looking to take a ground blind