a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making deer snack sticks

making deer snack sticks

So i have made snack sticks before and with my recent batch have found a recipe that i really like.
    but i have never made a bunch of snack sticks from 1 deer, it has always been using leftover roasts that have been trimmed of all fat/silver skin.

im wondering how much of the fat and silver skin must be trimmed from all the trim meat off of a deer in order to make snack sticks. i know the less the better as the silver skin and fat is what tastes gamy, but how crazy do i have to get with trimming? besides its going to be seasoned a lot and made in to snack sticks so i cant see the fat changing the flavor a whole lot.

we make those snack sticks as well i agree the seasoning takes over but we had issues with ld grinder not wanting to grind well unless we really really trimmed

but new grinder this year so we will see
    Mathews feathermax 29" 67lbs camo --semi retired
    Mathews chillr 27.5" black and blue 66lbs 85% mods
    Mathews chillx 27.5" black 66lbs 85% mods
    Elite E35 black and realtree 65lb 29"
    Mathews ChillR 27.5" black 60lbs. In bound

I tried making some a couple yrs ago using store bought seasoning.. nasty nasty nasty

interested in good recipe if anyone has one.
    May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

Me too, what's this recipe you have and like AFoster??
    Archers Against Cancer - Shooting for a Cure!
    Event Founder and Organizer!
    Help Us make A Difference!
    Supporting the "Gene Goodreau Patient Assistance Fund"

here is my recipe, it is pretty sweet with just a touch of pepper at the end. I may add more liquid smoke this time. If you dont like sweet and spicy (not very spicy at all) then this recipe isnt for you.

per pound of meat
    1 tbs morton tender quick (for curing purposes)
    3 packed tbs brown sugar
    1/2 tsp mustard
    2 tbs dry milk
    3/4 tsp paprika
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1 1/2 tsp black pepper ( ill be adding more this batch to add some spice)
    1 1/2 tsp liquid smoke

I trim all fat and remove as much silver skin as possible, its easier to remove the silver skin when the meat is stiffened up, throw it in the freezer for a little while to stiffen it up a bit, I then mix in some pork and pork fat to replace the deer fat....taste so much better! I use 60% deer meet and 40% pork, then I add 20% of the total weight in pork fat. For me this adds just the right amount of flavor but doesnt make the Snack sticks greasy. Then I stuff them up in 16mm collagen casings and throw them in this and give em some Hickery/Apple smoke!

Smoker.jpg

And here is the outcome

Smokeys.jpg
    Mathews Helim 70/30
    Mathews MQ1 70/30

To all you guys making them ,Your ideas will never work ....You need to send me a big batch of them so I can verify that they are ok .Ok just kidding they all sound great no im starving ...

Onytay,

Can you give the specs on the smoker. maybe show a inside pic.

Thanks

Specs are 4ftx4ftx6ft tall, ill get a couple inside pics up in a bit when I get to the desktop
    Mathews Helim 70/30
    Mathews MQ1 70/30

Heres a couple of inside pics, these are from some of the very first runs thru so thats why it looks so clean

inside smoker.jpg

inside smoker 2.jpg

This is how I generate heat and smoke when smoking at temps abaove 100 degrees

indide 3.jpg
    Mathews Helim 70/30
    Mathews MQ1 70/30

A sausage shot

sausage.jpg

And sausage isnt the only thing it can smoke!

pork butt.jpg
    Mathews Helim 70/30
    Mathews MQ1 70/30

Sorry to the OP I didn't mean to derail your thread, if there is further interest I would be happy to start a new thread to answer any more questions!
    Mathews Helim 70/30
    Mathews MQ1 70/30

Did you make the smoker yourself or did you buy it?

I built it myself.
    Mathews Helim 70/30
    Mathews MQ1 70/30

great thread - now I am starving
    >>>---------->
    oldschoolcj5

Got any tips or specs on how to build one? Did you build it from scratch or is their some sort of website you can get building plans also?

Quote Originally Posted by Onytay View Post
    Sorry to the OP I didn't mean to derail your thread, if there is further interest I would be happy to start a new thread to answer any more questions!
    not a problem, i just got done grinding up all my meat, didnt trim it hardly at all but my grinder kept getting the fat wrapped around the blade, so i just had to clear it off every few pounds of meat. i think i would rather do this than trim the meat, much easier than trimming for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by AFoster View Post
    not a problem, i just got done grinding up all my meat, didnt trim it hardly at all but my grinder kept getting the fat wrapped around the blade, so i just had to clear it off every few pounds of meat. i think i would rather do this than trim the meat, much easier than trimming for a few hours.
    If you place your tubs or bowls in the freezer for a little while after you cut your meat into the sizes needed to fit in your grinder that will firm up the meat and fat and will help keep the buildup in the head at a minimum. You want your cubes to be pretty firm, but not completely frozen this will make the grinding process go alot more smoothly
    Mathews Helim 70/30
    Mathews MQ1 70/30

Quote Originally Posted by PA B0WHUNT3R View Post
    Got any tips or specs on how to build one? Did you build it from scratch or is their some sort of website you can get building plans also?
    This one mostly built from scratch. The only thing I bought was the 2x4s for the framing, the outer boards I pulled out of an old barn at my grandfathers farm, and everything else I had laying around from previous projects.

Tips for someone who is building one, make sure that the cooking chamber is air tight as possible, this way the only thing that affects the cooking temp is the intake vent, the smoke stack and the heat source. Do not use any galvanised metal or treated wood inside the cooking chamber. Make sure you have ample protection from the heating source, wouldn't want to burn it down! I was able to keep mine pretty air tight, If I settle the the temp at 225 it never goes above or below that temp more that 1 degree.
    Mathews Helim 70/30
    Mathews MQ1 70/30

Quote Originally Posted by AFoster View Post
    here is my recipe, it is pretty sweet with just a touch of pepper at the end. I may add more liquid smoke this time. If you dont like sweet and spicy (not very spicy at all) then this recipe isnt for you.

per pound of meat
    1 tbs morton tender quick (for curing purposes)
    3 packed tbs brown sugar
    1/2 tsp mustard
    2 tbs dry milk
    3/4 tsp paprika
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1 1/2 tsp black pepper ( ill be adding more this batch to add some spice)
    1 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
    Powdered milk? I don't think I've ever heard of that in a recipe, might have to try this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner7800 View Post
    Powdered milk? I don't think I've ever heard of that in a recipe, might have to try this one.
    Yes the poudered milk helps give the snacks stick a tangy taste, kinda similar to what you would find in Slim jims
    Mathews Helim 70/30
    Mathews MQ1 70/30

We make a bologna that I think ends up like a summer sausage. I want to try these snack stocks this year. What temp are you smoking at and how long?

I Love this Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Firepike View Post
    We make a bologna that I think ends up like a summer sausage. I want to try these snack stocks this year. What temp are you smoking at and how long?
    Like with any meat smoked only the internal temp can dictate the time, also cook to the appropriate internal temp, no one likes the " Screaming Meemies "! but when I do 50 lbs it usually finises around six hours. With sausage and snack sticks its best to increase temps slowly to prevent the fat from rendering out. I start at 100 for and hour without smoke, this drys the casings and allows better smoke absorption in the meat, then increase to 130 for an hour then 10 degrees every hour until 180 max temp, internal temp of smokies at 160, then I pull the smokies and dip them in a tub of ice water to stop the internal temp from climbing further, this also minimizes the shrinkage in the casing. hang at room tempt for a few hours " blooming " this brigs out some color in the finished product. package and freeze what you haven't eaten already!
    Mathews Helim 70/30
    Mathews MQ1 70/30

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast