a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Inexpensive "starter" back quiver

Inexpensive "starter" back quiver

Wanting to try a back quiver to see if I like it. It will only be used for small game, 3d, and targets.

Tradtech has a 20 dollar one called the widow. Any thoughts on it?

Just don't want to spend much at all not knowing if I will even like a back quiver.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Well, here's the thing......

You may not like a back quiver if you get a cheap one.

You may like it a lot if you get a really good one, because there WILL be a difference.

I'd say study up on them before buying and make sure you get one that will fit well, hang well and be convenient and comfortable to use.

Go to e-Bay to see a wide selection of types and then to that manufacturers website for details.

I'm thinking at least $80 to $100.

Why not make your own? I've decided to make my own bracers and quivers, not just as a means to an end but for the enjoyment in and of itself.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...c;f=1;t=058989

I took a peek at that quiver on the site. Why not go for it? If you take to a back quiver, this one will give you the "references for your preferences" should you decide to upgrade and smell the leather.

Re: Inexpensive "starter" back quiver

May try that widow quiver. Not sure yet.

Anybody have opinions on the vista maverick?

get cheap and see - I hate those things - especially for hunting and 3D if you have to bend over something - you emtpy your arrows - it is a pain getting them, they are noisy in it, etc... - I much prefer a hip quiver for broadheads and a pocket quiver for target and 3D

try looking for one on the big "auction site" for one they usually have really good used ones for a really reasonable price!

if you have to bend over something - you emtpy your arrows - it is a pain getting them, they are noisy in it, etc...
    Yes, if you buy a cheap one, that's likely to happen. Probably happen with a more expensive one if it's not well-designed.

That's why it shouldn't be an impulse purchase, but carefully researched.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan12 View Post
    May try that widow quiver. Not sure yet.

Anybody have opinions on the vista maverick?
    The Vistas look good, but there are some quivers with a second strap that holds the quiver steady and in place better so it doesn't move around on your back. I'd check that aspect of it out before laying down my hard earned cash.

I appreciate everybody's input so far.

I am looking at a shotgun scabbard! Call me crazy but I think it may work and can be had for under 30.00. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280736293871 any thoughts?

Well, 35 inches long would put your arrows deep inside.

If you have feather fletching you would damage them pulling them out??????

I'm real close to making my own. I have 4 more knives to make and a ornate holster for a friend and then I'm gonna make a neat (I hope) quiver and if I'm proud of it I'll put some photos on here......
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Shoot, my first quiver was nothing more than a cut off denim pantleg an old belt and some scrap leather in the bottom for protection of the broadheads. It was functional but kinda a pain in the butt to keep in position on my back. Do you have any friends or someone at a local range that will let you borrow one for a bit to see if you like a back quiver? Some people just plain don't care for them and others love em.

Hah when I as a kid I used on old worn out knee high gym sock from one of my uncles with either a boot lace or some yarn attached as my first back quiver.

Borrow one, load it up with arrows, and spend an hour or two walking through the woods. After picking up arrows every time you bend over to get under a branch or hanging them up on every vine you get near you'll do the same thing I did: Bring it home and hang it up in the man cave to store old arrows in 'cause it looks cool and then you'll buy or build yourself a side quiver.
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight....your tactics suck!"

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Well, 35 inches long would put your arrows deep inside.

If you have feather fletching you would damage them pulling them out??????
    You can adjust it by folding the end up. I an going for it! cant be any worse than a cheap starter quiver and I can attach pouches to it for extras in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    You can adjust it by folding the end up. I an going for it! cant be any worse than a cheap starter quiver and I can attach pouches to it for extras in the field.
    this one is shorter http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Bre...item337b024496

http://myworld.ebay.com/gwbohunt&ssP...84.m1543.l2533

Dead Silent Quivers by Gene on ebay. Bought one for myself. It's lightweight, comfortable, will hold alot of arrows, and is longer than most quivers.

Omega Longbows
    Turbonock

Here's one I made out of scraps of stuff I had laying around. It will hole six arrows with broadheads, or about a dozen regular tipped arrows. It weighs 1lb-3oz. with six arrows with broadheads, it adjustable to ride high or low on the back, and it's waterproof.

This is a photo of me holding it upside down. Arrows don't fall out, don't move around, don't make noise.

I probably have less than three dollars in it, works great.

Joe

Nice Joe. How do they stay in?

Pokynojoe has mastered anti-gravity!

A back quiver that has the right flex will bend on your back when you lean over and squeeze the arrows, preventing them from falling out. Many tactics and designs to accommodate that.

A back quiver also allows for the use of a sidearm on the hip for those so inclined. On the flip side, a hip quiver could allow for a back-slung long gun (or a popgun-totin' infant!).