Thread: When do the Pre-Rut and Rut start and end in Minnesota?

When do the Pre-Rut and Rut start and end in Minnesota?

And I mean specific dates, like Oct 20th Pre-Rut starts and ends with the Rut starting around Nov. 5th and then the Rut ends around Nov 12th.

Is there anyway to forecast this or is it the same every year?

If it's not always the same do you think it will be early, late, or on time this year?

Just be in the woods as much as you can the two weeks before gun season. You'll be screwed once the gun season starts unless you hunt an area with little or no gun pressure.
    Shooting yesterday's technology today!
    Hoyt Vectrix XL 60#, 29" DL
    Hoyt Maxxis 35 60#, 29" DL
    Beman ICS Hunter 400 and 340
    Rocket Steelheads 100 and 125 grains

Quote Originally Posted by Mallardbreath View Post
    Just be in the woods as much as you can the two weeks before gun season. You'll be screwed once the gun season starts unless you hunt an area with little or no gun pressure.

Luckily I hunt a place were you can't rifle hunt.

Been hunting here since I was a kid, that's about 30 years now. I can't give you an exact date when deer will start the rut and when it will peak. Anyone that can, is guessing.

My guess is anywhere between the last week of October through the the first 2/3 weeks of November.

Shot bucks the last couple years with my bow during the rifle season, on public land with rifle hunters all around me. I can't remember the last time I rifle hunted here.

It doesn't matter if the gunners are out there or not. They do look at me strange when they see me with a bow, even stranger when they see me draggin the deer out. Develop a game plan that works and stick with it....

Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

The last week of October and the first two weeks of November is when I want to be in the woods. I especially like the week or few days before the start of rifle season, but like mn5503 says, no reason to quit when rifle season starts. It's definitely a different feel in the woods with all the orange, and I avoid public land on the weekends, but there's plenty of action to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by mn5503 View Post
    Been hunting here since I was a kid, that's about 30 years now. I can't give you an exact date when deer will start the rut and when it will peak. Anyone that can, is guessing.

My guess is anywhere between the last week of October through the the first 2/3 weeks of November.

Shot bucks the last couple years with my bow during the rifle season, on public land with rifle hunters all around me. I can't remember the last time I rifle hunted here.

It doesn't matter if the gunners are out there or not. They do look at me strange when they see me with a bow, even stranger when they see me draggin the deer out. Develop a game plan that works and stick with it....

Wow. Some nice bucks.

Last week of October pre rut, first 2 weeks of November rut, sometimes.

Be in the woods as much as you can from OCT 27 till Nov 17th
    I have a bunch of 4 days weekends scheduled around those dates.
    Wife of 13 years, Diagnosed Aug 2013- Triple Negative Invasive Ductile Carcinoma of an aggressive nature.
    Catch Breast Cancer early "Save a life, Feel a breast today."
    Strength for the fighters - Peace for the survivors- Prayers for the taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dogg3250 View Post
    Be in the woods as much as you can from OCT 27 till Nov 17th
    I have a bunch of 4 days weekends scheduled around those dates.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by hedp View Post

And I mean specific dates, like Oct 20th Pre-Rut starts and ends with the Rut starting around Nov. 5th and then the Rut ends around Nov 12th.

Is there anyway to forecast this or is it the same every year?

If it's not always the same do you think it will be early, late, or on time this year?

What I see is pre-rut starts around October 20th and the rut is on by November 10th with locked up bucks.

It's the same within days each year.
    Mike, proud member of the NCWID!
    USA
    PROUD MEMBER OF OHM RESISTANCE
    AR34 RAM.5 / PSE Bow Madness 32 Extreme sights, WB rests

Quote Originally Posted by MNmike View Post
    What I see is pre-rut starts around October 20th and the rut is on by November 10th with locked up bucks.

It's the same within days each year.

Cool.

All I have off is October 15th to November 4th.

I should be able to hunt a couple week mornings first full wekk of November and the weekend of the 10th.
    Mike, proud member of the NCWID!
    USA
    PROUD MEMBER OF OHM RESISTANCE
    AR34 RAM.5 / PSE Bow Madness 32 Extreme sights, WB rests

Quote Originally Posted by MNmike View Post
    All I have off is October 15th to November 4th.

I should be able to hunt a couple week mornings first full wekk of November and the weekend of the 10th.

Well, hunt when you can. My buddy has a bow but because he has a newborn will only be deer hunting once this year and that will be rifle opener.

The rutting moon is supoused to occur on October 29th, so the seek and chase phase of the rut should be most intense a few days before that and about a week after. I would try to make a point to be in your stand Oct 26th - Nov 7th. Of course im sure there will be plenty of good days outside of that range. Thats just when they predict the movement to be most intense.
    09' Mathews Drenalin
    Spott Hogg
    B Stinger Pro Hunter
    Grim Reaper Razortip
    GT XT Hunter 7595

My first hunt of the year will be October 26th.

I plan on being in my stand here up by Duluth, MN from sun up to sun down on the 27th and 28th of october. It's been proven time and time again in the midwest to produce the last weekend/halloween weekend. I know i'll be ready when ol drop tine comes by.
    2012 60/30 Elite Answer-Snow
    HHA Optimizer
    VT Limbdriver ProV
    8" Beestinger Stab
    Scott Release

Quote Originally Posted by Tbramer View Post
    The rutting moon is supoused to occur on October 29th, so the seek and chase phase of the rut should be most intense a few days before that and about a week after. I would try to make a point to be in your stand Oct 26th - Nov 7th. Of course im sure there will be plenty of good days outside of that range. Thats just when they predict the movement to be most intense.

Where do you find out when the rutting moon will be?

Where do you find out when the rutting moon will be?
    The "Rutting Moon" is the second full moon after the Autumnal Equinox. I have a outdoor David Maass calendar that shows the dates of these occurences. You can easily find a hunting calendar online that will show the different moon phases.
    09' Mathews Drenalin
    Spott Hogg
    B Stinger Pro Hunter
    Grim Reaper Razortip
    GT XT Hunter 7595

Quote Originally Posted by Tbramer View Post
    The "Rutting Moon" is the second full moon after the Autumnal Equinox. I have a outdoor David Maass calendar that shows the dates of these occurences. You can easily find a hunting calendar online that will show the different moon phases.

Cool, online or buy at a store?

Cool, online or buy at a store?
    http://www.shopdeerhunting.com/2013-...calendar-u2650

The best one I have found is from Deer and Deer Hunting. (click on link) I think its based off of Charles Alsheimer's research and predications. He has a alot of good reads if you google him. He writes alot of columns for their magaizine and has some good books.
    09' Mathews Drenalin
    Spott Hogg
    B Stinger Pro Hunter
    Grim Reaper Razortip
    GT XT Hunter 7595