Archery Talk Forum banner

When do the Pre-Rut and Rut start and end in Minnesota?

22K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Tbramer 
#1 ·

And I mean specific dates, like Oct 20th Pre-Rut starts and ends with the Rut starting around Nov. 5th and then the Rut ends around Nov 12th.

Is there anyway to forecast this or is it the same every year?

If it's not always the same do you think it will be early, late, or on time this year?

#2 ·
Just be in the woods as much as you can the two weeks before gun season. You'll be screwed once the gun season starts unless you hunt an area with little or no gun pressure.

#4 ·
Been hunting here since I was a kid, that's about 30 years now. I can't give you an exact date when deer will start the rut and when it will peak. Anyone that can, is guessing.

My guess is anywhere between the last week of October through the the first 2/3 weeks of November.

Shot bucks the last couple years with my bow during the rifle season, on public land with rifle hunters all around me. I can't remember the last time I rifle hunted here.

It doesn't matter if the gunners are out there or not. They do look at me strange when they see me with a bow, even stranger when they see me draggin the deer out. Develop a game plan that works and stick with it....

#5 ·
The last week of October and the first two weeks of November is when I want to be in the woods. I especially like the week or few days before the start of rifle season, but like mn5503 says, no reason to quit when rifle season starts. It's definitely a different feel in the woods with all the orange, and I avoid public land on the weekends, but there's plenty of action to be had.

#8 ·
Be in the woods as much as you can from OCT 27 till Nov 17th
I have a bunch of 4 days weekends scheduled around those dates.

#10 ·

And I mean specific dates, like Oct 20th Pre-Rut starts and ends with the Rut starting around Nov. 5th and then the Rut ends around Nov 12th.

Is there anyway to forecast this or is it the same every year?

If it's not always the same do you think it will be early, late, or on time this year?

What I see is pre-rut starts around October 20th and the rut is on by November 10th with locked up bucks.

It's the same within days each year.

#14 ·
The rutting moon is supoused to occur on October 29th, so the seek and chase phase of the rut should be most intense a few days before that and about a week after. I would try to make a point to be in your stand Oct 26th - Nov 7th. Of course im sure there will be plenty of good days outside of that range. Thats just when they predict the movement to be most intense.

#16 ·
I plan on being in my stand here up by Duluth, MN from sun up to sun down on the 27th and 28th of october. It's been proven time and time again in the midwest to produce the last weekend/halloween weekend. I know i'll be ready when ol drop tine comes by.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.