a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indoor Range Building Design

Indoor Range Building Design

Our club is looking into designing a building dedicated to the archery program. We are looking for recommendations on how to build a good one!

We know we want at least a 20 yard indoor range and a seperate storage area for about 50 3D targets and a four wheeler and trailer, along with a work area. The range area has to be heated, the storage really doesn't need to be.

Of course, money is an issue, but if we are going to spend the money, we are going to get something worth the expense.

Some general questions are:

What type of flooring do you use for each section? Gravel, concrete, or whatever?

How much room do you got to have, minimum, for a 20 yard range? More or less than 75 feet from the back wall to the front wall?

What is the optimum ceiling height for lighting in the range part?

What kind of heating system for the range part?

Is there anything else that we are missing?

We are going to try to start construction this fall some time, so we have a little time to design something that works. Let me know what you're thoughts are!

Jeremiah

30 looks, without any replies?

Surely, someone could help a club out with some range design help?

Thanks.

Wagner Archery club built a new building

12" is diffiantly a good thing.

Concrete on floor is fine.

Size of building depends on how many shooters you will have during a tournament. Wagoner has enough room for 16 shooters across and its often not enough. Im quessing the buiding is 90 yards long for sitting and storage for 3d targets. Gets crowded during shoots and leagues. Has small one bathroom and small kitcher area and the rest is sitting.

Heating is natural gas units overhead. Works fine then your climate is alot colsder than areas.

I did the lighting and I over killed the lighting but you will not find a shadow in the place. Not sure if thats a good thing or bad. I never get to shoot at any place with as good a lighting as our club. Used flourescents. Be glad to a layout for you guys when you get your building size. I used Ho 8' lamps, they work great.

Here is a picture. There just enough room behind the targets and overhead door on the backside for storage of 3d targets
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Daniel Boone; May 16th, 2005 at 12:17 PM.
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

Club building

Send SpotShy a pm and see if he can get you info on the building they are in. I had the pleasure of shooting there earlier this year, very nice facility, well lighted and plenty of room. Hope this helps out.

The club he is with is the Chickasaw club in Shepardsville KY.

Florescent lighting is great because it nearly elliminates shadows. But I highly recommend you recess the lights into the ceiling so they are not visible to the shooter.

Hard to recess lighting in metal Buildings

I diffiantly agree on dropped ceiling buildings. Metal reflectors can be installed in metal buildings to keep arrow from hitting the lamps. So far we have not had one lamp hit yet. But its going to happen.

They make shatterproof lamps but there exspensive.
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

Metal building like in the pic above , but maybe two story ,twice the square footage . Range upstairs .

That's it!

Dan, that is the look I'm after. That is a very well done range. I hope our's can compete with that kind of facility when it's all said and done.

You also said 90 YARDS long, did you mean 90 feet?

Not sure where you are at in Ohio, but there is a very nice range in Wabash Indiana. The shop is called Bass and Bucks. They just put up a 50 yd indoor range that will hold approx 18 shooters wide(about 2.7 feet per shooter). The shop owner is Glen Butcher. Phone number is 260-569-1853. I am sure he will give you info on what he just went thru. Its a great place to shoot. good luck.

It seems that it is hard to beat the price of a metal building. Most churches nowadays are moving to new property with a metal building built on it. The maintenance is low. It takes a lot of power to heat or cool a 20 yard long range. We have fans and heaters on the shooting/resting/shop end and the other end is closed up during the winter to retain some heat or opened up in the summer to let the hot air out. During the trip to get arrows is the only discomfort.

Lots of lighting is great if you can get it. We blocked the lighting so it showed forward down the range except on the shooting line and resting area. Flourescent lights are cheap on the electric bill but if it is cold in your building, they don't do much until they get warm so have incandescent lights also.

We have a dirt floor (hard packed clay) and some gravel. I remember seeing one with bark. I would like to have a floor made out of that ground rubber they sell for footpaths.

never thought of that

I have never thought of the ground rubber for a floor. That may be an option.

With the dirt floor, do you have any problems with heat? Is the floor a problem at all? How does it compare to concrete, in your opinion?

We're in southwestern Ohio, so maybe Wabash isn't that far away. We'll check it out.

Im guessing length

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio_3Der
    Dan, that is the look I'm after. That is a very well done range. I hope our's can compete with that kind of facility when it's all said and done.

You also said 90 YARDS long, did you mean 90 feet?
    20 yrds for range. Im guessing theres 10 yards behind the targets for storage. Im thinking its about 20 yards behind for sitting/ bow stands and rest room. Metal Building works well. 150' X 50' or 60'

Volunteers and members from the area all pitched in. The club received a grant due to the club being on City property.

Ill try to get some info on the exact size and cost.

Thanks, Dan

Thanks for the help, Dan.

Keep me posted.

Jeremiah

Ohio_3Der,

We just finished our new indoor range early this year. We put up a 50' x 115' inside dimension building. We have 20 lanes and the depth of the shooting area is 75'. This gives us 15' behind our shooting line which is required if we were to set up any state sanctioned shoots. The rest of the building is the bar, rest rooms and furnace room and bow storage area. The building also serves as the bar and meeting area for the new trap and skeet range we also added.

The building is a basic stick frame 2"x6" walls. The ceiling was 12' high with drywall to hold up the insulation and a 10' drop acoustical ceiling below that. The outside walls and roof are steel. The inside walls are drywall with the floor being concrete with an epoxy coating. We have two furnace/AC systems. One for the range and one for the bar. All of the lighting is 2'x4' drop in fluorescent lights. We have multiple switching options for the lights in the range so we can set the lighting to whatever type of shooting we do or for class room work. We also use this building for banquets and hunter education classes.

Our club works on a volunteer basis. We did almost all of the work with the members we have. This saved us a large amount of money in labor. The building was not cheap but people that have shot around the state and even large shoots around the country have said it's one of the nicest. I'm proud to be a member and really love shooting on the new range.

If interested PM me your email and I could send you some pics.
    Good Shooting, Bill
    The difference between an Old Archer and the Young Archer is that we old ones are a little slower getting the arrow to the "X".
    Bowtech Tribute
    & 07 Hoyt Pro Elite

Years of enjoyment

Quote Originally Posted by BIG ARCHERY NUT
    Ohio_3Der,

We just finished our new indoor range early this year. We put up a 50' x 115' inside dimension building. We have 20 lanes and the depth of the shooting area is 75'. This gives us 15' behind our shooting line which is required if we were to set up any state sanctioned shoots. The rest of the building is the bar, rest rooms and furnace room and bow storage area. The building also serves as the bar and meeting area for the new trap and skeet range we also added.

The building is a basic stick frame 2"x6" walls. The ceiling was 12' high with drywall to hold up the insulation and a 10' drop acoustical ceiling below that. The outside walls and roof are steel. The inside walls are drywall with the floor being concrete with an epoxy coating. We have two furnace/AC systems. One for the range and one for the bar. All of the lighting is 2'x4' drop in fluorescent lights. We have multiple switching options for the lights in the range so we can set the lighting to whatever type of shooting we do or for class room work. We also use this building for banquets and hunter education classes.

Our club works on a volunteer basis. We did almost all of the work with the members we have. This saved us a large amount of money in labor. The building was not cheap but people that have shot around the state and even large shoots around the country have said it's one of the nicest. I'm proud to be a member and really love shooting on the new range.

If interested PM me your email and I could send you some pics.
    Great Idea having two light levels

All of the lighting is 2'x4' drop in fluorescent lights. We have multiple switching options for the lights in the range so we can set the lighting to whatever type of shooting we do or for class room work. We also use this building for banquets and hunter education classes.

Having two light levels is an excellant idea for any range. To often when you have good lighting and you go to out of town to low lighted facilitys, its makes it tough. But hard to do unless you have a drop ceiling with 2X4 drop in lights.
    DB

Pictures

I'd love to have some pictures of some of these ranges. Please send any you have to:

jeremiahm@hotmail.com

I didn't know that you had to have 15 feet minimum behind the firing line to hold a sanctioned match. What organization's rules are those? NFAA?

Thanks for the heads up.

jeremiah

I'm not sure who found that out or from where they got the info. I can check it out and get back to you. As far as the pics go I will try to get some in the next couple of daysif possible. I'm sort of busy this week but I will try to make it down there. We have a web site and they were talking about posting them. I will check it and let you know.
    Good Shooting, Bill
    The difference between an Old Archer and the Young Archer is that we old ones are a little slower getting the arrow to the "X".
    Bowtech Tribute
    & 07 Hoyt Pro Elite

Years of enjoyment

Sounds great

Thanks.

This link has some info: http://floridaarchery.org/davisonRangeGL.pdf

Darrel

[QUOTE=BIG ARCHERY NUT]Ohio_3Der,

. The rest of the building is the bar, rest rooms and furnace room and bow storage area. The building also serves as the bar and meeting area for the new trap and skeet range we also added.

Bar?!

J/k, John

Bass and Bucks in Wabash has a web site (BASSandBucks.com). They are about 3 hours from Dayton, OH.

nice range

That bassandbucks range is very nice. It looks like the same system that Daniel posted. They are very similar looking.

Ttt

Keep them coming guys. There has been lots of good info so far. I'm going to try to keep this on the first or second page for a day or two more.

Make it bigger than you need it.

Ohio 3Der

You can check our range out at www.sherwoodarcheryclub.com

Our total shooting distance is 35yds,we really wish now that we would have made it a full 50yds,simply because we shoot alot of indoor 3D as well as dots.

Just make sure you know what you want before you build something that your not happy with and make it a little bigger than you need,it's better to have too much room than not enough.
    We have plenty of room for our spot shooting,14 lanes double stacked,and plenty of room behind the 20yd line for bow racks as well as sitting and restrooms are a must.

We are located near Steubenville,Ohio. If you are ever near here shoot me a PM or call the contact numbers on the website we would be happy to show you what we have.

This is our indoor range
    20 yards / 16 lanes / 10 foot ceilings
    The picture was taken at a Kid's Day so everyone was shooting from 5 or 10 yards....

www.archeryplusllc.com
    Authorized Dealer for Hoyt, Mathews, Elite, Mission, Ross & Parker.
    Thompson Center & Knight Muzzleloaders
    Custom Golf Clubs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast