Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many grams of thinsulate for my hunting boot??i

How many grams of thinsulate for my hunting boot??i

I am looking for something for temps between 10-50 degrees, I am stuck between 1200 or 2000 grams. Would really like to go with the 2000 but I am worried I might get to warm and sweaty. Have never had nice boots before and my feet always get cold if I sit for more the 3 hours with the temp below freezing, but would also like something I could somewhat walk around in. I dont have alot of extra cash so I am trying to go with a boot that I can mulitask with so I am only going to buy 1 pair of boots. I have a cheap pair of rubber boots for early season but those days are numbered. Please any input or advice would be a great help. I live in wisconsin if that helps.

ttt

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogg2002 View Post
    I am looking for something for temps between 10-50 degrees, I am stuck between 1200 or 2000 grams. Would really like to go with the 2000 but I am worried I might get to warm and sweaty. Have never had nice boots before and my feet always get cold if I sit for more the 3 hours with the temp below freezing, but would also like something I could somewhat walk around in. I dont have alot of extra cash so I am trying to go with a boot that I can mulitask with so I am only going to buy 1 pair of boots. I have a cheap pair of rubber boots for early season but those days are numbered. Please any input or advice would be a great help. I live in wisconsin if that helps.
    Are you looking at Rubber or Leather? I think you would want more insulation in the rubber boots than you would need in leather due to the rubber materilal getting colder more quickly. I have a pair of 2000 rubber that do well keeping my feet warm, but I really hate how heavy and bulky they are. I have been looking at picking up a pair of leathers with either 1400 or 1800, because the huge 2000 rubbers wear me out on long hikes especially once they start picking up mud.
    Mathews Helim 70/30
    Mathews MQ1 70/30

Looking for leather. Some of my walks to the stand are quite far.

I wouldnt go 2000, I have been very happy with 1200

also I am a size 10.5, but what size boot should I order?? I can not try them on first. I am thinking about size 11?

Lacrosse alpha burly's 100 grams I wear then all season long no matter how cold or warm and they always keep me comfortable a dry

Sent from my archerytalk viewing device using Tapatalk
    2013 bowtech experience
    2014 prime impact

ruber 2000 grams
    2013 elite answer snow camo #65 28" draw, custom black gold ascent, tourquless grip, limb driver pro v rest, specialty archery featherlight 8", g5 head loc quiver, easton bloodline 400 arrows, nap kill zones, grave digger broadheads, 361 grain arrow going 300 fps with 72 ft lbs of ke....... and loving every minute of it!!!

Man I think you are thinking too heavy all the way around. I hunt all winter in Ohio and used to use 1400 gram Rocky Bearclaw 3D's, which ended up being waaaaaaaaay to much. Sweaty feet equals cold feet. I now have a pair of 800 gram LaCrosse Silencers, which are much much lighter due to less insulation, and they feel more than warm enough for the Ohio late season. If nothing else, double up on the wool socks!
    PSE Evo Max
    Bear Anarchy HC

Dinner on the Table Pro Staff
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

I have a pair of 2000 gram Irish setters and cannot wear them at times I get cold from sweating. I much prefer my Danner 400 grams.

Make sure you don't overlook your sock choice though. A few good pairs if merino wool socks can make a world of difference.

Sent from iPhone
    Student of SDSU's Wildlife and Fisheries Program

lesser grams of thinsulate... boots a size "plus" or bigger... toes most definetly need added room to move around/circulate blood flow...

***I agree with last post: add a couple pair of moisture/wicking Merino Wool socks... NO Cotton socks ever... good to go...
    BowTech 101st 60/27.5... Cobra DRM... Carter 2-Shot... Gold Tip 3D Pros

When it comes to boots, you do get what you pay for. You can't go wrong with any of the top brands; Rocky, Irish Setter, L.L. Bean, Wolverine, Muck, etc...If you want a "walk/sit" pair I would go with less thinsulate, that way you can dress for the temp/activity with different socks.

I use 1,000 gram boots and some nice socks, never skimp on socks.
    Winters get cold here in Ma. and my feet are fine.
    ** HAIL~GO BLUE~Hail **

200-400 grams is plenty for our weather down to high teens for extended sits once it gets to about 25 degree i usually will slip on a Artic shields and maybe throw in a hand warmer. Overinsulating is the worst thing a guy with feet prone to being cold can do.

Good WOOL socks 88% or better nothing else.

I fought this battle for YEARS till i started listening to Old timers who had tried everything before. kEEP em dry keep em warm.
    My Gear is Older than Yours....
    Got some BuckNasty on it though
    Shooting Knat Nards at 70 + Baby!!!

I use 800 gram boots, Marino wool socks and arctic shield boot covers. I love the boot covers. They allow me to not over insulate and still keep my feet cool on the walk in yet stay warm on stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    Lethal Injection Archery

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogg2002 View Post
    also I am a size 10.5, but what size boot should I order?? I can not try them on first. I am thinking about size 11?
    I would go 11.5 or 12. Give yourself lots of room for thick socks and being able to move your toes. I'm a 10.5 but all my hunting boots are 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    Lethal Injection Archery

Danner pronghorn 400, LaCross alpha burly sports, Wolverine 600gram.

I have 1000 gram wolverines - they are a combination of leather and cordura and dressed in gore-tex. I can stand hunt in them and a nice thick pair of merino wool socks and can comfortably walk around in them when it's below 50. Above 50 and they get a little warm.

i wear a cabelas brand rubber boot and i couldnt be happier. i wore 400 gram of thinsulate before and personally i thought they were too warm for me i would often have sweaty so i would have to bring extra pairs of socks. this year i got the same boot but with no insulation and plan on using insulated socks and change them out if it gets too hot. it all depends on you. if i wore some of the boots the other guys wear id have a puddle waiting for me when i took my boot off.

After years of different boots I know only buy non insulated and then in cold weather use artic shield boot covers with a hand warmer inside. This is what works for me as a matter fact artic shield recommends not using a heavily insulated boot for best results while using them.

I wear some 1500 gram lacrosse rubbers. I'm a short guy at 5'6 and those suckers get heavy on long walks. I fought my feet freezing for YEARS. If my feet get cold, I'm headed back to camp because ill freeze. My feet sweat going in and about an hour in, I start getting chilly.

Go with 1200 leathers!!

On a whim, I bought some 2500 gram rubber boots from Sportsman's Warehouse. They are fully insulated in the foot area and very thin rubber uppers. I was ready to send them back if they weren't any good but I hunted in them all last year and they performed extremely well. The thin uppers were a blessing since when it's cold I wear layers and they all fit inside the rubber without any problem. I tried on every name brand boot that Bass Pro, Dicks and Gander Mountain had and I just never got the fit I wanted; either in the boot area or the uppers were too tight to tuck everything in to. The boots from SW run at LEAST a half size bigger, at least. I got 11's and they are pretty roomy for my 10.5 foot. I could ware 3 pairs of thick socks if I wanted. Oh, they only like $70 or so too.
    2012 Elite Answer 28", 61lbs, HHA Otimizer XL5510 .010, QAD HDX, Doinker Dish, Surgical 340's, Square-Up, QAD Exodus & Ulmer Edge Broadheads
    2008.5 Elite GT500 28", 62lbs, HHA OpimizerXL5510 .010, QADS HDX, Doinker Dish, Surgical 340's, Square-Up, QAD Exodus and Ulmer Edge Broadheads

Thanks for all the replys guys! Sounds like I should look into a couple a pair of good socks judging by some of the respones. I have some thicker socks but coudn't tell you if they are marino or not, just that they are thicker then my normal cotton socks, which I wear under the wool socks which I guess I shouldn't. Also I should mention that I am ordering them from Sportsman warehouse, they have some good deals on boots, but maybe they are too good to be true?? Anyone have any bad luck with boots they bought from them?? I know you get what you pay for, but these boots are about half the price as boots with similar specs. Again thanks for any advice from anyone who chimes in, just would like to get the most bang for my buck before I make a decision.

200 with quality socks to wick sweat. 400 max.
    #1 Elite Energy 35

#2:mathews ZSEVEN

What are good socks? wool? Do you where anything under the wools socks? What about those fancy moisture wicking socks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast