Archery Talk Forum banner

Go pro HD camera?

2K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  HotLZ 
#1 ·
Hey any feedback on using the Go Pro HD camera on your bows or anywhere else? Feedback please!?

#2 ·
Just got one last week and going to use it this weekend. I'm going to use a headband mount to get away from the "jump" you get when it's mounted to the bow. Buy a class 10 30Mb/s SD card for it to get the best clarity results.

#9 ·
The head band approach may not work as well as you think. I tried the same approach with the camera mounted on a baseball cap and I found that the top of the bow and the cams were in the way. I didn't spend a lot of time adjusting but I figured I would chime in and let you know. Good luck.

#6 ·
Thanks for the input....i am definitely getting one.

#7 ·
if your looking to buy one let me know i bought one brand new a few months ago shot a couple videos and just figured id rather put the money towards a new bow. i have lots of mounts, i paid 380 for everything id sell it for 315 shipped

#8 ·
Hey thanks i will think about it....I have an account with amazon and i found the outdoor package for 263.00 shipped...let me check into it a little more. Trying to talk the wife into it as an anniversary gift. Lol

#12 ·
We have had our for a couple months now. Takes great video. My only complaint with it so far and I'm going to contact Gopro about, is the battery is shot after 2 hours with it just being on standby. Frustrating when you are hunting for the day and want to get some video at the right time. It might just be the way it works, but it would be nice to have it keep some battery life while on standby.

Also, make sure you have a good video card and cpu for the video. It will drop frames while viewing the video if you do not have a good setup on your computer.

Overall, pretty happy with it and the different mounts are nice to have. We put a mount on our downrigger for fishing, but didn't get any decent video yet as the water was too murky, but going to try it in a crab trap, hopefully next weekend. I will post the video if it turns out good.

Unfortunately, we can not mount it on a bow here in Oregon, so have been using it with the chest strap, but going to try on the hat, have to keep in mind what attilathehun said about the top of the bow and cams getting in the way.

P.S. When I bought mine, the best price with accessories was on B&H Photo site. Not sure what the price is now.

Colette

#15 ·
I love mine. Tried for the first time last year and got my deer on camera (10 point, believe it scored 140). I found mounting it on the bow had too much vibration and you missed the impact. The head band was the way to go for me. I aligned my camera with my left eye or slightly on the left side of my head to account for my archery stance. It's a little uncomfortable to wear, but put it over a winter hat and spend some time making adjustments to the straps to evenly distribute the weight on your head. Once I figured it out I could wear it the whole time in my stand. Hurts too much to wear over a baseball cap. Takes a little practice to turn it on and start taping while on your head, but not bad. I don't leave it on standby, but rather leave it off until I see the deer coming. Battery lasted all week that way. Now the have a remote control for them, which should make it easier, but they're pricey.

Shoot with luminocs so you can see the arrow. The only down side is that the gopro is very much a wide angle lens, so everything looks pretty far away. This deer was only 17 yards away, yet looks so small in the field of view. I could play around with editing and crop the HD video, but seems like too much work.

Video looks better on a bigger computer screen.
https://vimeo.com/32247432

#23 ·
Here's my findings after using my GoPro Hero2 for awhile in the woods this fall: I really wanted to use the camera on my head, but found out that didn't work very well for a couple of reasons. #1 is that you are never sure where the camera is pointed. In order to make sure you capture the action, you need the camera on wide angle view. When you do that, the deer looks like it's a mile away and you can't see much. I have found that for my needs the camera really needs to be on the narrow view angle in 1080p mode. When it's in that mode, you need to be pointed at the target or you're not going to see it. Also, if it's on your head you need to offset the camera so that it points at the deer when you're at full draw. That makes it so that if you're not at full draw on the deer you have to look off the deer a little bit in order to get it in the frame.

I much prefer it on the stabilizer so I know I'm getting the action. True you don't get the impact, but if you notice on bughalli's video above, you can't really see the impact anyway. That way I can keep it on narrow mode and pull the video in a lot more. I use one of the stick on clips that came with the camera and put it on my flat blade stabilizer. It works great. Also, make sure you have one touch recording set to on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.