Archery Talk Forum banner

DIY Rope/Pulley bow press

40K views 133 replies 42 participants last post by  DonsHarley 
#1 ·
Yet another press! Forgive me if someone's already built one like this.
I saw a youtube video of a similar press, but when I emailed them, they said they wanted $190 for it. I think I have $30 in this press, and it allows you to easily take the bow completely down.

I used BowMaster split limb adapters, and everything else is from harbor freight.

$2 single pulleys
$3.49 double pulleys
$5.50 Figure 9 Rope Locker

$2.50 Screw-closed Chain Links (can't find it on the website, but it's similar to this but has a screw closure)
And then I used some extra rope I had lying around.

The current setup multiples your force by 8x, so to press a 50 lb bow takes just a bit more than 6 lbs of pulling force.

Room Door Home door Wood

See less See more
#3 ·
yup we're going to have to see it with the bow pressed!

I have to say when I saw the tittle I knew I had to click on it. I was super curious as to how someone would cobble a pulley system together to make a bow press. I have to say I like it! it looks pretty cool. So now all that is outstanding is how well does it work? I'm thinking with the 5 ropes it should be about one fifth the weight required to press the bow on the hall line. this should make it relatively easy to pull. Do you just tie it off on the bow while you are working on it?

#4 ·
I did one better and recorded a video off my phone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sSIcFFGUjI

The rope is tied off onto itself using the figure 9 rope tightener.

I haven't started pressing my own bow to service it just yet, but I built this and a pipe clamp press because I'm going to be swapping arrow rests with my cousin soon, and also because I want to learn to service my own bow.

The good thing about this press is that you can easily take the string completely off, and then take down the entire bow.

#5 ·
Well done, This is a nice solution!
Are the fingers from a commercial source or did you make them?

#7 ·
Yep I used Bowmaster adapters :D

Another neat thing about the press is that you don't need to know how to use power tools. I did use a file to enlarge the holes on a few of the pulleys, but that's the only "tool" that I used. Everything else assembles in a few minutes without tools.

#38 ·
I never was a KU fan..............until now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NDM, if you really know this woman you are one lucky dude.
I apologize for getting off subject, but I am sure I was not the only one! :lol3:

#39 ·
Hi everyone,

Does the DIY version (with a rope tightener) also allow you to easily & slowly let the limbs out after you have removed the bow string & cables (if you need to replace limbs for example)?

Would a rope ratchet work instead of the figure 9 rope tightener?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.