Thread: How long do bucks stay in one area during the rut?

How long do bucks stay in one area during the rut?

Okay, I got this guy on camera today, October 24th at 330 in the morning so I guess last night. And I saw him on camera about 3/4 mile away 2 weeks ago. He was hitting a scrape at the property I hunt when I got him on camera last night. My question is, with the weather being so warm, how long will he be in the area? This weekend should kick things in as its suppose to get in the low 30s! Thanks to all ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351113823.229129.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1351113832.477622.jpg

PSE Bows...
    Because Speed, Accuracy, and Penetration doesn't get old

He will be around when the does in your area start coming into estrous, once they are done he will likely wander to find more.
    Waiting on an Iowa giant

14 APA Mamba M34
    06 APA Suphan

He's in my area right now, as of last night at 330 in the morning

PSE Bows...

If your asking if he's still there since you have a picture of him at 330am the answer is possibly. But that still gives it enough time to go to your other property or anywhere else before light. A picture at that time of night won't give you enough information to tell where or what the deer is doing. The most useful pictures to help understand that is ones taken right at or just after first light or dark. During the full swing of rut that all changes and it could be practically anywhere

You cant pattern a rutting buck. He goes where the hot Doe go. If you have a Doe in estrous in your area you may see him courting her. Once she goes into heat they will usually breed in a more secluded area away from other roaming bucks. You may or may not see him again. Thats why rut is so exciting. On the other hand you may see a bigger buck you have never seen before running your land looking for hot Doe or looking for a fight.
    Misc. Archery vendors
    Misc. Archery Gear & accessories

I know that, I'm just wondering typically this time of year once a buck is in an area how long he stays there

PSE Bows...

Re: How long do bucks stay in one area during the rut?

Quote Originally Posted by OHIO_BuCKSlayer View Post
    I know that, I'm just wondering typically this time of year once a buck is in an area how long he stays there

PSE Bows...
    I don't know what else you want. You have plenty of good responses.
    Archery makes my shaft quiver.

I think they can cover a lot of ground this time of year, and especially in the next couple of weeks. 3/4 of a mile is nothing for a deer, and might just be his home range. He could be hitting both areas you mentioned in the same night. Unpredictable though, and every buck is different.

Good luck with him, hope he shows up when you are ready.

I've seen them stick around and I've seen them disappear. Hard to say for certain what he'll do. Looks like a hefty buck, good luck.
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351120076.657675.jpg
    This is another guy who has been in the area right up until a week before deer season...haven't seen him since

PSE Bows...

Ever been in a bar and noticed a nicely filled pair of jeans? Ever move toward them? He will be around until he finds (smells) something he wants to be near. He could go and come back, or you may never see him again. Just as likely you may see deer that you and others in your area have never seen before. All because they found something they want to be near.

LIke mentioned above, 3/4 of a mile isn't that far for a deer to travel. I mean, I jog that in 5 minutes. So even if he is 3/4 of a mile away one morning when you're in the stand, an hour later he might be in shooting range.

But, he's gonna go/spend time wherever the good stuff is at!