Thread: Interesting things about the Milo Hanson Buck

Interesting things about the Milo Hanson Buck

Been reading a little about the Hanson Buck and 2 things really jumped at me.
    1. The world record buck was only around 3.5 years old. Could you imagine if that deer would have reached its full potential. Not saying he should have past it up just saying he still had plenty of growing to do and I couldn't imagine what he would have been in 2 more years

2. According to the story several land owners knew where the Hanson buck was located and decided to meet up for a deer drive. When they jumped this deer it was missed by one land owner (must say that had to suck) and proceeded towards Hanson. When Hanson seen the deer @ 100 yards he shot hitting the deer in the back.....(interesting part) and the bullet skipped upward and hit the deers right main beam. All I can say he was one lucky hunter. For one the other guy missed and two that he didn't shoot the right main beam into

Just some interesting facts to share

Pearson Legend.

Yep, many people say that if he'd have been a year or two older that he wouldn't have been the world record because of the high odds that he would've developed some non-typical characteristics like many large older bucks do (like a couple of B&C bucks from the last few years that would've beaten it but were "ruled to have" common bases).

Some times it pays to be in right place at the right time.
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

I was also told years ago he was just a normal joe farmer
    Thought that was cool
    Mathews mr8 blacked out
    Mathews mr6 blacked out

He probably would have added some junk with more age.
    Waiting on an Iowa giant

14 APA Mamba M34
    06 APA Suphan

If the buck was only 3.5,... it wouldn't have left behind a 90" 5pt shed the year before, ...but it did. I read an awesome article once by someone named Bentley Coben. He openly scoffed at that 3.5 claim as well........ he was the one with the shed after all.

Something I've always wondered about was how a deer drive falls under fair chase conditions. The deer itself is very impressive, but getting a lucky shot off at a buck that your buddies are pushing through the woods for you doesn't impress me much.
    2012 Hoyt Vector 35. 68 lbs, 29 in draw.
    HHA 5019 Single Pin Sight.
    Code Red Ripcord Dropaway Rest
    Fuse Stab and Quiver.
    Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket 400 , 430 grains

Quote Originally Posted by APAsuphan View Post
    He probably would have added some junk with more age.
    That's what I was thinking too.

I always get a kick out of the guys who cant hit moving targets...then gripe because deer drives kill all the deer and the deer dont have a chance...those guys on the drive must be really lucky...lol. Reminds me of all those "unethical" long shots with the bow.

http://www.kingsoutdoorworld.com/sto...nson_story.htm

This is a very good right up on the Hanson Buck
    N.O.A.H. "Protecting the rights of todays' sportsmen"
    2007 Bowtech Gaurdian
    Tru Fire Release
    Slick Trick Magnums

I hear them coming. Yep, those are definitely the footsteps of haters on their way to wreck this thread.

Oh look. One showed up early.
    Texas heart shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by seriously View Post
    I always get a kick out of the guys who cant hit moving targets...then gripe because deer drives kill all the deer and the deer dont have a chance...those guys on the drive must be really lucky...lol. Reminds me of all those "unethical" long shots with the bow.
    I can hit a moving target just fine, and I'm not griping that deer drives kill all of the deer. And I have zero issues with long shots with a bow. Killed my last deer at 40 yards and got told that was unethical. Nor am I a "hater" or jealous. I simply don't agree that a deer drive is fair chase. Simply my own opinion. Great thing about America, we can all voice our own opinion. Beautiful buck regardless.
    2012 Hoyt Vector 35. 68 lbs, 29 in draw.
    HHA 5019 Single Pin Sight.
    Code Red Ripcord Dropaway Rest
    Fuse Stab and Quiver.
    Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket 400 , 430 grains

Deer drives are only as dangerous as the people involved in the drive. If you get a bunch of idiots expect stupid things to happen.

From what ive seen i just stay home haha.

Just like pheasant hunting.
    Walk softly, carry pointy sticks.

This thread wasn't intended to start a thread. Just some interesting facts some may be interested in. If it doesn't interest ya move on.
    Pearson Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermag1 View Post
    Yep, many people say that if he'd have been a year or two older that he wouldn't have been the world record because of the high odds that he would've developed some non-typical characteristics like many large older bucks do (like a couple of B&C bucks from the last few years that would've beaten it but were "ruled to have" common bases).
    I'd say you're right superman but would have been interesting to see
    Pearson Legend.

Agree with others, definitely not 3 years old.

I dont do them, but seems to be a deer drive is same thing as walking a field for pheasants with blockers on one end. Fair chase to me, legal, and effective. All that being said, I prefer to bowhunt them