Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chances of "Robin Hooding" an arrow

Chances of "Robin Hooding" an arrow

Happened to me twice.Once with crossbow from about 20 yards and today with my bow from about the same distance.I would love to know how often those this happens to you guys before I start considering my self lucky and start playing lotteries...

image.jpg

Not to sound like I am talking smack but I have about 8 robinhoods in my garage and now I dont even aim at the same target anymore. Too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by fmf979 View Post
    Not to sound like I am talking smack but I have about 8 robinhoods in my garage and now I dont even aim at the same target anymore. Too expensive.
    Lol I can imagine

2 in a month with my new bow. Before that, 15,000 shots plus before that. I don't shoot groups any more. In that month, I splintered another shaft, busted several nocks and removed a couple vanes.

Show-Me State..on a little pond called Lake Pomme De Terre
    I don't shoot groups,but at 20yds I can put arrows in same hole at approx.20%,beyond that,not so much;less 50%.
    Taxidermist/ commercial tannery owner and bow tuning shop 32 yrs and running... I shoot them all,and just pick the one that likes me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NCstick View Post
    2 in a month with my new bow. Before that, 15,000 shots plus before that. I don't shoot groups any more. In that month, I splintered another shaft, busted several nocks and removed a couple vanes.
    What bow are you shooting?

Prime Centroid.

Re: Chances of "Robin Hooding" an arrow

Don't forget an actual robin hood is hitting bullseye and then stacking an arrow in it. I've never done that. Done the lesser twice in 6 years. It's bitter sweet after the first time. Arrows are expensive!

LIKE Integrity Outdoors on Facebook

shooting indoor 3d its very common even at around 30yds. probably see 1-2 a night.

I have done it 3 times over the years shooting 3D alone, all under 30 yds and by accident, one was a dead center 12 ringer at 25yds. Shooting groups I have (by accident) one at 60, 45, 35 and 3-4 at 20. I consider it just my dumb luck rather than anything else. I'm an average shooter at best but still quit shooting groups less than 40 yds because the chances are better than you think of robinhooding. Stacking 3 shafts is another story, although I have never seen it happen I know someone that has, that would be cool to see!
    Horseshoe Bend Archery Strings
    Hoyt Vector Turbo, Hoyt Vantage X 7 Hoyt Faktor 34
    My business is killin' and business is good!

Stick an old ,busted arrow in a target and try Hooding one on purpose

Quote Originally Posted by jack70707 View Post
    Stick an old ,busted arrow in a target and try Hooding one on purpose
    At 20yds or less,not that hard.
    Taxidermist/ commercial tannery owner and bow tuning shop 32 yrs and running... I shoot them all,and just pick the one that likes me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by D.Short View Post
    .. guess my point is , it's much harder to do it on purpose - and even harder to call The Hood before taking a shot .

We do this at the range with buddies all the time .... someone throws a busted arrow into garbage bucket - the game is On ! ( our team got nicknamed "spotty vultures " because of this ) ... now , if i could only get all the money lost ...wheeew !

image.jpg
    7 times in two years.
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 350 for hunting
    65# Hoyt Alpha Elite for 3D

Quote Originally Posted by jack70707 View Post
    .. guess my point is , it's much harder to do it on purpose - and even harder to call The Hood before taking a shot .

We do this at the range with buddies all the time .... someone throws a busted arrow into garbage bucket - the game is On ! ( our team got nicknamed "spotty vultures " because of this ) ... now , if i could only get all the money lost ...wheeew !
    thats a good idea , never thought of that.
    i have a butt load of rh arrows and its just expensive now.
    but a junk arrow on the other hand game on.
    Bowtech Insanity,25.5" dl, 60# dw , Carbon Express Blue streaks @ 285fps, with Grim Reaper hybrids.
    HHA OL 5019 sight 4x lens and clarifier , Nap Apache, bling sling , Torqueless sideplates
    truglo stab with bowjax dampners , bowjax limb dampners and custom riser dampners .

Quote Originally Posted by APA21 View Post
    image.jpg
    7 times in two years.
    Very nice

Quote Originally Posted by D.Short View Post
    I don't practice at under 20 yards, EVER

Been shooting a bow for 50+ years and have had 2--all in the past 3 years with carbon arrows. Shot off dozens of nocks, and torn up a bunch of vanes/feathers, but never a Robin Hood with an aluminum shaft, even shooting indoor league at 20 yds on a 1-spot target.. And, by the way, I now only shoot groups on a target at 25 and farther. All my other practice is one shot per 1.5" dot.

I have done it a number of times with carbon shafts. As mentioned above it is much more difficult to accomplish with an aluminum arrow; especially the old style with knurled points that receive glue on nocks. I have done it twice with those. The visual results are much cooler than with carbon shafts. The aluminum shafts peel back, reminisent of a shotgun barrle that has blown up due to dirt or something else that has clogged up the end on the barrel.
    For me, the most exhilarating moment in all of sports is when I come to full draw on a whitetail.

have not done one yet.

When I shot all the time, I remember I did 16 in one summer. That was in 2001. Since then I've added a few here and there but not as many as that one summer alone. Now days I shoot different spots and use arrows with pin nocks and such to try and avoid it as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bonecollector66 View Post
    thats a good idea , never thought of that.
    i have a butt load of rh arrows and its just expensive now.
    but a junk arrow on the other hand game on.
    Search the main threads for "Robin Hood Challenge" it is a thread I started. The rules are there. Give it a go and post up your results.

Quote Originally Posted by killerloop View Post
    I don't practice at under 20 yards, EVER
    If you only have an 18yd basement and you shoot everyday as I do,then you DO.

i dont keep them anymore but i have pile shafted arrows in shed hanging

Chances of a Robin Hood, 3,720 to 1.

I agree, aluminum arrows are much cooler to robin hood than carbon. My first robin hood was on a Cabela's pultruded carbon arrow a long time ago, those things were tiny. I saved for quite a while to afford some A/C/Cs back in high school, I shot them for about 3 hours when I robin hooded one...I was down two arrows, I was so mad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast