a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Wolves in the Little Belt Mountains Montana

Wolves in the Little Belt Mountains Montana

There Here! Story and pics to follow!

Posting Wolf Track Pics for LvToHunt

My other bow is a Marlin 1895G 45-70 Gov't open sights
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiobooners View Post
    In all seriousness I do hope ppl understand that a deer is not worth losing your dignity over.

Pics are coming. But here's the story. I'm a rural UPS driver and I have delivered in and around the LB Mtns. for 5 yrs. In these small towns there are constant rumors about so an so saw a wolf or 3 wolves etc. You get the idea. Anyway there hasn't been anything concrete in my opinion and I usually politely disregard the rumors. Never the less, I always thought they were coming sooner or later. FWP says there aren't any but did confirm and shoot a pair that killed 23 sheep last yr in the foothills between the LB's and the BB's. they said that the pair was just "passing" thru. Ha! Anyway last Sat., a good friend saw a small herd of elk on an edge of a clear cut. He hiked up to where he last saw them and found their tracks in the snow. He found out that he wasn't the 1st one or the only one to follow the elk. Fortyneck on here is going to post the pics for me. The round next to the track is a 300 Ultra mag. The knife I believe is a 4.5" blade. Unfortunately this is exactly in one of mine(our) elk spots. I fear that this is only the beginning of a sad decline in elk #'s in the area. Shoot ,Shovel and Shut Up!

Thanks Fortyneck!

Wipe them out Rob.
    Bernie's Brass Knuckles Staff
    Bowtech Insanity CPX
    Bowtech Insanity CPXL Optifade Forest

Quote Originally Posted by mt_elkhunter View Post
    Wipe them out Rob.
    Forest Service went up today or tomorrow to confirm. My friend covered one up w/ bucket so it wouldn't get washed out.

My wife and I were up near that area 3 years ago and herd them howling late at night. We also saw 2 of them cross the highway going up kings hill. And they aren't wolves just "really big coyotes" and there is nothing wrong shooting a "really big coyote"

I'm in Simms (work in GF), two years ago I saw a wolf in Fort Shaw herding a single doe towards the Sun River where I'm guessing it's pack was lying in wait, it was kinda cool to watch but still not cool. I've also noticed a severe shift in deer patterns over the last couple of years out by the SR Game Range and I suspect wolf activity since they've made kills on livestock as far down as Simms ...
    What really bugs me is the growing Griz population, a boar has taken a liking to my best hunting area (and occasionally my hide), he's always gone when I get there but it makes me real uneasy at times knowing he was there recently ...

Conservationist and Biologist, I'd like to kick 'em all in the nuts ...
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Sine Missione

Bummer!

They are further east than that as well.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 LH PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by X-file View Post
    My wife and I were up near that area 3 years ago and herd them howling late at night. We also saw 2 of them cross the highway going up kings hill. And they aren't wolves just "really big coyotes" and there is nothing wrong shooting a "really big coyote"
    I like this a lot.
    Lien2

Smoke a pack a day

I've seen one as far east as Harlem. They are definitely spreading throughout Montana!

Make no doubt about it they are starting to be spotted in the Big Belts also. My dad and I have both seen a few and more and more ranchers are starting to report sightings.
    2008 82nd Ariborne, 70lb set at 62lb. 26.5 draw mods measuring 27 inch draw,
    shooting 360 grain goldtip 5575 arrows 287 fps. Sword Twilight Hunter Sight. QAD Pro HD Rest.

Quote Originally Posted by montana_wild View Post
    I've seen one as far east as Harlem. They are definitely spreading throughout Montana!
    So they are coming down into the plains? My family has a ranch south of Chinook just out of the foothills of the bearpaw mts and nothing as of yet but Harlem is not far away at all. Our other ranch is north of Gilford and I doubt they start showing up there unless they are passing by on their way to the sweetgrass hills.

It just amazes me how FWP denies their existance. So many people and ranchers etc. have sitings or hear them and FWP continues to downplay it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5MilesBack View Post
    They are further east than that as well.
    Yep, heard of a few running around the Crazies.... and some rumors of sigtings in the breaks. Before too long they will be established from border to border( unless the trapping thing goes well and the FWP lessen the restrictions on it).
    Team PSE Pro staff
    60x Strings
    Vortex Optics, Ripcord Rests, Black Gold Sights
    Buffalo Jump Archery

Friends have cabin in Lincoln. They have been watching a herd of elk in town for yrs. The last 5yrs the herd has steadily declined til this yr. Now there are none.

Just heard an interesting news brief, sounds like a bowhunter in Miissouri just shot a wolf. Haven't seen the full story and not much on the web so I'll have to watch the news to findout what's going on but MO F&G thinks its a wolf.