Thread: Hunting from ground without a blind

Hunting from ground without a blind

I was curious if anyone ever bowhunted much from the ground without the use of a ground blind and if so what kind of success rate has anyone had with this method.

I tried it once this year. Cut me a shooting lane and could of shot a nice doe if i wanted, but she had a fawn with her.

I've had my best luck sneaking in with brush on windy days. The wind was blowing 20+ the day i could of shot that doe. Heck i sat down within 10 yards of her bedded down and didnt know it. She knew something was there, but because of the wind she wasnt sure. She just had to come check it out.
    Walk softly, carry pointy sticks.

I do & my dad does. I've only killed 4 deer in my life out of a stand. 2 bucks & 2 does. I will sit in between fallen trees, logs, stand between bunch of trees like my best place in a funnel has 2 big pines then off my back should 3 feet left are 2 more so pending deer direction I bounce from side to side. I kill a doe every year but picky on bucks but have taken a buck also the last several years.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    2013 Hoyt Spyder30, Truglo quiver, QAD Ultra-Rest HDX, Apex Gear Tundra, Apex Bone Collector Pro-Tune XS Stabilzer, with Easton Nano's and 100gr NAP Spitfire Maxx
    InsaneArchery camera bow mount & Kodak Playsport ZX3

This year I encountered a shooter 10 pt that came within 10 yatds of me. I nestled in a fresh fallen tree that afternoon just off his trail. I had my leafy suit on. No shot but it was a rush being on eye level with a big boy.

Next year im planning to scout for some fallen trees and do more ground hunting. It's a blast.
    '10 Mathews Z7 28/67 * HHA 5510 * QAD HDX * 6" Axion Stab * Easton Axis and Epic N'fused * JBKStrings

I like hunting from the ground better than from a tree stand mainly because I have seen more from the ground. I have killed 6 deer and 3 hogs from the ground and 0 from a tree stand. Find a tree with bushes very close to it and clear all leaves and derbis from around the base. Lean against the tree in front of the bushes to break the outline and turn your eyes first when you look around. Wind in your face. Try it; you'll like it.

I love the thrill but I have to have to have a pre planned spot or I will get settled in then see a "better" spot and bounce around too much but on my own land I've got some killer natural blinds

did it this afternoon no deer, but its always fun being real close to deer on the ground.

I do some. Last year I had a doe walk past me at 7 yards. I was behind a tree, but once she got equal to me, I was dead. It was a rush though. I had another doe come out about 12 yards when I was in a different spot. I just couldn't get the shot. She never knew I was there. Location was perfect for her travel direction, but I should have trimmed a couple more branches and twigs. No doubt you have to clear the leaves/debris from under your feet. It has it's time and place. I like it when I'm just learning a new place, I can stay more mobile with a ground seat rather than messing with a permanent stand I will want to later move or a climber when I'm not sure which trees would work.

I've had good luck with sitting at the base of a larger tree. The key is to have a comfortable turkey seat and play the wind. Sometimes I'll do a slow stalk through the bush and stop and sit at different locations. I've shot more deer using ground hunting techniques than from my treestand.
    2012 HeliM, 70/30, Black Gold Rush, Tight spot quiver, QAD HDx, Bee Stinger 10", Black Eagle carnivores, Fletch hunter release
    99 Mathews FX 70/30, Range Rover, WB, 3 arrow kwikee kwiver

I hunted on the ground and no blind last evening. I put out a spike buck decoy and waited. A doe came in and looked at it, but did not bolt. An eight pointer came in and the doe bolted. I'm sure he had been bird dogging her and she wanted no part of him yet. He watched the deke for a good ten minutes, but would not approach it. I grunted several times and he came back each time. He finally got tired of the game and left. They paid no attention to me. I had a good back ground, but nothing in front of me. That was fun.
    Bob