Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting high, can't figure out why?

Shooting high, can't figure out why?

Due to my work schedule and the building of our new house, I have not shot my traditional bows nearly as much as I would like to this summer and fall. I even had to make the decison to shoot my compound this deer season. Anyway, things have slowed down a little and I have already tagged out with my one buck that I am allowed here in Indiana. I have gotten back into shooting my traditional bows and noticed that I am shooting with everything. Before life got in the way of my shooting, everything was tuned very well. Nothing has changed with my setups but I continue to still shoot high. I am convinced it is some kind of form issue. I am the only person I know who shoots traditional equipment so I am looking to my AT friends to give me suggestions as to what might be the problem. I tried to upload a picture of me shooting, but it did not attach on here for some reason.

I'll be watching this one, I've got the same issue going on.

Maybe your draw length has changed, your grip pressure point is different or your hook is different?

Or anchor point has changed.
    Fox Triple Crown C
    Blackbrook TDRC
    Best Moon
    Blackbrook Zeta C

It has forced me to be more of a gap shooter now. Not my favorite aiming technique though. Keep the suggestion rolling and I will try to figure out the issue

Did you accidentally switch form three under to split? it's happened before
    Hoyt GPX, Spigarelli BB riser, TradTech Titan III, Hoyt Tiburon
    Border Hex6 BB2 & CXB. Hoyt formula F7
    Board bows and selfbows galore

Shorter draw length would cause windage problems I'd think and sends mine left as a right hander. Since we're talking about elevation I'd start at the front and work to the back and see what's changed. Shelf, brace height, nocking point, anchor, back tension, elbow....
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight....your tactics suck!"

Most likely an anchor issue. If it's been awhile, you may be wandering from what you found to be your optimum anchor way back when
    Hoyt GM 58@30 (my baby)
    Bear Kodiak Magnum 66@30
    Bear Grizzly 54@30

Located exactly 322 miles from the exact center of TX
    Anytime I group high or low I go over my anchor. I always correct my problem doing that. My anchor can drop and cause my shots to go high, or my anchor can go high and cause my shots to go low.

Thanks guys. I will take a look at everything. I am getting nice groups they are just too high. I am thinking it is an anchor and/or grip issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadMR82 View Post
    Thanks guys. I will take a look at everything. I am getting nice groups they are just too high. I am thinking it is an anchor and/or grip issue.
    If you're getting nice groups, why bother? Just adjust to shoot lower, by whatever method you use.

Maybe your nocking point moved.

I mean, if you're one of those guys who still bothers with a nocking point......that could do it.

If I am grouping good, just not where I aim, the fix is always in my anchoring - location or rotation and location of elbow depending on lateral or vertical off grouping. I cannot fix it in the sight picture and would not. The determinate aim of the arrow is at the nock, so the direction of groups tells me if I am not rotating into anchor full enough or not achieving my proper anchor. If I am stringing them, that's a whole other issue.

Try this, go out when it is dark and put a small white spot on your target. Stand around 10 steps away draw and focus on the dot. See where your arrows hit. The point is shoot where you can't see the tip of your arrow. If you hit where you are looking you are focusing too much on your arrow instead of the target. It happened to me that is how I fixed it.LCH

Quote Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
    If I am grouping good, just not where I aim, the fix is always in my anchoring - location or rotation and location of elbow depending on lateral or vertical off grouping. I cannot fix it in the sight picture and would not. The determinate aim of the arrow is at the nock, so the direction of groups tells me if I am not rotating into anchor full enough or not achieving my proper anchor. If I am stringing them, that's a whole other issue.
    Is it common to have an anchor that moves? Maybe I do it and just never realized. When i'm shooting well, my lateral spread is pretty tight, but usually still have some vertical variance. I always assumed that this was primarily due to forgetting to set my gap, or just doing it poorly.

My anchor is with my thumb solidly against the hollow under my cheekbone.

Never varies.

I don't see how it could.

These nockpoints, however......I've heard of them moving.

Quote Originally Posted by BarneySlayer View Post
    Is it common to have an anchor that moves? Maybe I do it and just never realized. When i'm shooting well, my lateral spread is pretty tight, but usually still have some vertical variance. I always assumed that this was primarily due to forgetting to set my gap, or just doing it poorly.
    Have you ever seen the compound folks that set their sight pin and can shoot tacks, they come in the next day and can't hit it, they adjust their sight again. Next day, they adjust again - it's always the sight and every day, it needs adjustment. Common sense tells us that unless bumped, the sight ain't the problem.

For me, I don't first or bout ever go to the sight picture correction for a distance I know how to shoot prior. That's just chasing rabbits. If I'm not stringing, but grouping more to left in the 4 ring, I know it's more in how soft or hard my anchor position has become - i can find it by the next round. My lateral spread is tight, just not on point, and that comes from minute changes at the anchor or alignment. It's not a movement of the anchor position - it's reaffirmation to it's correct relationship to everything else.

. It's not a movement of the anchor position - it's reaffirmation to it's correct relationship to everything else.
    Can you please elaborate on this?

Quote Originally Posted by BarneySlayer View Post
    Can you please elaborate on this?
    I think it could easily be called "feel". In most instances, if the exact "feel" isn't there, one lets down, as things just didn't line up right in the right place and fashion. There are those days, when the feel really isn't the feel for me. It shows as small variance, but variance, but still a grouping. I then go through "all" my steps to get to anchor, re-evaluate that anchor and rotation, and can then get a real feel back and move the grouping to where my sight picture says it should have been. IOW, my sight picture is the most constant factor for a given practiced distance, so I go to form before I would ever consider my aim as a problem.

I think it could easily be called "feel". In most instances, if the exact "feel" isn't there, one lets down, as things just didn't line up right in the right place and fashion. There are those days, when the feel really isn't the feel for me. It shows as small variance, but variance, but still a grouping. I then go through "all" my steps to get to anchor, re-evaluate that anchor and rotation, and can then get a real feel back and move the grouping to where my sight picture says it should have been. IOW, my sight picture is the most constant factor for a given practiced distance, so I go to form before I would ever consider my aim as a problem.
    Okay, so you know your sight picture pretty darn well the, I'd wager

i was shooting low and left and realized for some reason i was placing my fingertips to far on string and i was rolling them off. so i moved my fingers closer to the tips and fixed it .i was grabbing to much string

Quote Originally Posted by woodpecker1 View Post
    i was grabbing to much string
    I wouldn't disagree that your hook will affect the arrow flight and point of impact but I wouldn't agree that you can grab too much string.
    There are various suggestions as to where the string should go, all by reputable and knowledgeable coaches.
    I would say that as long as it's in the first joint or further back you're okay once placement is consistent.

On the finger tips is not the way to go.

great illustrations thanks . ill post a pic of this in the shop

Quote Originally Posted by Greysides View Post
    What a GREAT illustration!

Where did you find that?

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WOLF View Post
    What a GREAT illustration!

Where did you find that?

Ray
    A French website, if memory serves, I translated the text. However the illustration is taken from a book: Archery Anatomy by Ray Axford, Souvenir Press.

With your background I think it would be a very interesting purchase.

http://www.quicksarchery.co.uk/super...ry+Anatomy%3A+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast